What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Thursday Games - Football's back!

Maybe Rutgers is better than expected (appears so), but this is a team regarded as next to last or last in the B1G and ranked anywhere from mid 70s to upper 90s in preseason projections I've seen. Doesn't bode well for Wazzu. Finding 6 wins just got difficult. @ Nevada and Portland State are likely W's…then Oregon, @ Utah, Cal, @ Stanford, Arizona, USC, @ Oregon St, @ ASU, Washington. Not impossible by any means, but they needed this one tonight.

Mike_Leach_Key_West.jpg

SEC Network guys said heading into this game, Vanderbilt was tied with South Carolina at 16-4 over last 20 games, which is second best in the SEC? Anyway, that's about to change. Vandy may go 1-11 if their QB situation isn't worked out

Maybe Rutgers is better than expected (appears so), but this is a team regarded as next to last or last in the B1G and ranked anywhere from mid 70s to upper 90s in preseason projections I've seen. Doesn't bode well for Wazzu. Finding 6 wins just got difficult. @ Nevada and Portland State are likely W's…then Oregon, @ Utah, Cal, @ Stanford, Arizona, USC, @ Oregon St, @ ASU, Washington. Not impossible by any means, but they needed this one tonight.
3-9 seems pretty likely for them, and I doubt they'll be able to keep their class together. Wouldn't mind flipping Joyner.

Maybe. This SOS stuff with the playoff has me thinking in terms of conference RPI as if it's hoops season when I root for the conference in all the OOC games. I need to stop that. It's only a 4-team playoff and until CU has a chance to make it, the focus should be on the Buffs moving up in the conference and - once the Pac-12 season starts - what helps give us a better path to a higher bowl tie-in.

Exactly. Wake me up when we're pushing top 4 and i'll root for conference foes.

This, yet I continually get ripped for not being rooting for the other teams in the Pac-12. You're supposed to hate your conference foes, not have a love fest with them. I don't know why that attitude changed when we switched conferences.

Watched the Utah ISU game last night. Margin ended up huge, as it should have, but I didn't see a dominant team from their side. Wilson is good, he is going to be hard to deal with. Their OL did not look very good last night though. Maybe its just early but Wilson was hurried and hit way too many times from a D2 team. I know we have a long time until we see them on the field, but right now they don't frighten me.

Except Drez. He is like P-Rich out there. Not looking forward to dealing with him.

Watched the Utah ISU game last night. Margin ended up huge, as it should have, but I didn't see a dominant team from their side. Wilson is good, he is going to be hard to deal with. Their OL did not look very good last night though. Maybe its just early but Wilson was hurried and hit way too many times from a D2 team. I know we have a long time until we see them on the field, but right now they don't frighten me.

Except Drez. He is like P-Rich out there. Not looking forward to dealing with him.

Idaho State was making strong first down yardage running the ball. Drez is no P-Rich. The agents and groupies hanging out around him see him as such, but P rich had some broad shoulders last year. Drez seems to break one and then drop one. The Utah press looks at CU as an automatic win. I see a team that has a better D line than CU, but the rest is a wash. I would take several of CU's skill players over Utahs at this point.

Idaho State was making strong first down yardage running the ball. Drez is no P-Rich. The agents and groupies hanging out around him see him as such, but P rich had some broad shoulders last year. Drez seems to break one and then drop one. The Utah press looks at CU as an automatic win. I see a team that has a better D line than CU, but the rest is a wash. I would take several of CU's skill players over Utahs at this point.

Our DBS will have a field day with Wilson.

10th time in his career Mike Leach finished a game with less than 10 yards rushing. The Air Raid is garbage.

Wazzu!!!! This is why I HATE the air raid offense, or any high variance offense. These gimmick offenses are designed to give a mediocre team the ability to beat a good team every once in a while, but at the cost of equal likelihood of losing to an even worse team. Its a statistical parlor trick used by mid-major conference coaches to look better than they are.

Why do I hate it? It will probably allow WAZZU to beat a ranked team or two in the PAC this year (Washington, Stanford, etc...). Then they will turn around and choke playing someone like CSU in a bowl game. The pack 12, and CU with it, will look terrible.

We should be much happier with HCMM even he doesn't outperform Leach in getting to a bowl in his second year. We don't rely on gimmick football. We mostly beat the people we should and lose to the people we should. Then we improve slowly each year.

Last edited:

Mike Leach is the most overrated coach in the country.

Mike Leach benefitted a huge amount from a combination of soft scheduling and an overabundance of available speed when he was at Tech. The PAC schedule means he doesn't get as many free wins and he isn't in Texas to recruit anymore.

At least this probably means that he won't have to suffer another embarassing loss in a bowl game to a team like CSU this year. Wonder how long he will get at Wazzou before they figure out that he doesn't get any better and replace him.

Mike Leach benefitted a huge amount from a combination of soft scheduling and an overabundance of available speed when he was at Tech. The PAC schedule means he doesn't get as many free wins and he isn't in Texas to recruit anymore.

At least this probably means that he won't have to suffer another embarassing loss in a bowl game to a team like CSU this year. Wonder how long he will get at Wazzou before they figure out that he doesn't get any better and replace him.

Belive me, no one has pointed out more than me about how Leach at TT was a 7 or so regular season wins a year guy and got there thanks to unbelievably weak OOCs and Baylor, Okie Lite and Texas A&M all being down for a large chunk of his tenure.

I am not saying Wazzu is going to completely tank now and Mike Leach has seen his best days there, but it gets a little tiring hearing national pundits laud him as a great coach. It mostly has to do with him being quirky.

So glad we never hired Leach or Dykes like some posters wanted.

I am not saying Wazzu is going to completely tank now and Mike Leach has seen his best days there, but it gets a little tiring hearing national pundits laud him as a great coach. It mostly has to do with him being quirky.

Those offenses have consistently shown that they can make you entertaining and mediocre. Just like the run 'n shoot basketball systems, they have their place. What I'm finding interesting is that the fast break offenses that are run-based seem to be the real ones to look out for. When you play Auburn, Florida State, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Ohio State and some others there are going to be some big pass plays that make the Sports Center highlights, but it's what they do to you on the ground that beats you.

Those offenses have consistently shown that they can make you entertaining and mediocre. Just like the run 'n shoot basketball systems, they have their place. What I'm finding interesting is that the fast break offenses that are run-based seem to be the real ones to look out for. When you play Auburn, Florida State, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Ohio State and some others there are going to be some big pass plays that make the Sports Center highlights, but it's what they do to you on the ground that beats you.

Correct. Watching the A&M game last night, it was stunning to see how confused South Carolina's defensive players looked all night. You have so many moving parts on the field and so many opportunities for one-on-one matchups. Playing in space is the name of the game.

Bailer plays like that as well, they run it quite a bit most of the time. I probably shouldn't have mentioned them though lol.

Lots of the media are hacks who don't know any more (or even a lot less) than we do, especially when it comes to college football.

Those guys love a guy like Leach because he is an easy story. They don't have to dig, they don't have to prompt him to say something entertaining, and his teams provide a lot of highlights to pick from, some of them even for his teams.

TT was the perfect place for him, WSU not so much.

Eventually he won't be a good story anymore because he won't be winning enough games to be newsworthy.

I think in college you can get pretty far with an offense that is a pass first, or run first team. However, only the balanced teams ever win the NC. But, there is a difference between being a pass first team and a gimmicky pass only team. WAZOU had over 500 yards passing and 6 yards running last night (whats funny is that after last night they are now ranked 20th in the country for rushing 6 yards per game...enjoy it while it lasts). Against CSU last year they had 410 yards passing and -10yards rushing! They don't have an offensive line. Halliday just throws the ball towards open grass as soon as he gets it. Every play is a high stakes gamble. They can beat anybody, they can lose to anybody.

Last edited:
Back