What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tim DeRuyter here we come!

add another coach and school I will be rooting against to my list....starting with the Belk Bowl - Go Duke
I would agree with you if I thought BJ was still going to be here. But it appears he strung us out so he could see if he would get the Wiscy or Tenn job. ESPN reporting he is officially under consideration at TN.

So, Cinci is probly getting screwed too so I'll root for them against Duke as fellow bent over by Butch teams

Does Butch Davis have any kind of show cause crap associated with him? I don't see CU going down that route, but Butch would be awesome.

Unless I missed something with the UNC stuff, that was John Blake's fault mostly right?

I have a hard time getting on DeRuyter's case much, considering he could have beaten CU 130-7 had he not shown class, called off the dogs 15 minutes into the game, and merely won 69-7.

I do agree with you on Stitt. That situation has become entirely overblown, IMO.
+1

I don't think Butch Davis has a show cause, just some of the stench rubbed off on him.

Stitt will be at a top 15 program if he's not at CU next year.
He probably won't be at a top 15, but I bet he lands a BCS OC position in the next two years regardless of whether or not he ends up at CU. And when he does, I will be shocked if their offense isn't a top 35 offense by year 2.

It's hard to say how realistic they would be since some of the names below have baggage, but if you want a HC with BCS experience why not:

1. Jim Leavitt
2. Tommy Bowden
3. Butch Davis
4. Jim Tressel
5. Bobby Petrino
6. Derek Dooley
7. Jeff Jagodzinski
8. Phil Fulmer

Granted, 4 and 5 are non-starters because their baggage is just too much for CU. Maybe the same for number 3 given the way he left UNC. Leavitt has the slapping incident, which seems pretty BS to me. If WSU can hire Pirate Mikey, there is no real reason Leavitt can't get a look. Tommy Bowden had some decent years at Clemson. All these guys are sitting at home right now with nothing to do....retreads, I know.

Congratulations. You just completely destroyed my will to live with one post.... :thumbsup:

Stitt will be at a top 15 program if he's not at CU next year.

Doubt it...he'd long be gone already - I think he really likes life in Colorado and as such he'd probably only consider leaving his Mines gig (really would love to know what he makes there) for an in-state job...to work at CU, he probably wouldn't even have to move from Golden...

As I posted on his thread on Nov. 28th: My dream hire would be Deruyter as HC, bring Dave Schramm with him as OC, and lure Kalani Sitake away from Utah to be Asst. HC, DC, and recruiting coordinator. Schramm and Sitake worked together at Utah from 2005 to 2011. Imagine Shane Dillon running a spread offense with an aggressive 3-4 defense anchored by big Polynesian linemen and fast linebackers. The B & G would be exciting and fearsome again.

Doubt it...he'd long be gone already - I think he really likes life in Colorado and as such he'd probably only consider leaving his Mines gig (really would love to know what he makes there) for an in-state job...to work at CU, he probably wouldn't even have to move from Golden...

That's what Reed was reporting on BuffChips not too long ago (maybe 2 weeks ago)

It's hard to say how realistic they would be since some of the names below have baggage, but if you want a HC with BCS experience why not:

1. Jim Leavitt
2. Tommy Bowden
3. Butch Davis
4. Jim Tressel
5. Bobby Petrino
6. Derek Dooley
7. Jeff Jagodzinski
8. Phil Fulmer

Granted, 4 and 5 are non-starters because their baggage is just too much for CU. Maybe the same for number 3 given the way he left UNC. Leavitt has the slapping incident, which seems pretty BS to me. If WSU can hire Pirate Mikey, there is no real reason Leavitt can't get a look. Tommy Bowden had some decent years at Clemson. All these guys are sitting at home right now with nothing to do....retreads, I know.

Bobby Petrino is by far the strongest candidate there.

Listening to Tom Nalen, he made me feel better. Said CU dodged a bullet and Bohn may have gotten lucky. He is pushing Deruyter. Thinks he'd be great for CU.

Listening to Tom Nalen, he made me feel better. Said CU dodged a bullet and Bohn may have gotten lucky. He is pushing Deruyter. Thinks he'd be great for CU.

Tom Nalen doesn't know what he is talking about. Whoever his talk show co-host is asked him about CU and the coaching job and he sounded completely clueless

Personally, I'm not a big fan of retreads. It doesn't really give a program good forward momentum. I'm much more in favor of an up-and-comer or an actively successful coach at a peer institution. I think this provides a better positive energy, and the coach is much more motivated.

Who would "overwhelm" you?
Do I have to be realistic?

If not that is easy. I'll assume you would want realistic answers, which are virtually impossible for me to know since I talk to exactly zero of the coaching prospects. I might add I am not getting paid one red cent to be right about this, on the contrary I pay to see the product. By doing so I get to be the final arbiter of whether I think the job was done right, at least as far as my $$$ (which ain't much) and participation are concerned.

So with those caveats I'll look to what the AD himself said. I know he said HC, I am pretty sure he said BCS experience. So on that basis, in no order of preference:

1. Tommy Bowden
2. Jim Leavitt
3. Ron Zook
4. Butch Davis
5. Al Golden
6. Sonny Dykes (non-BCS and gone to Cal now anyway)
7. Dirk Koetter
8. Mark Mangino (not gonna happen, but the guy can coach)
9. Strong (not gonna happen)

Just a few names. Not that I think any one of them is a slam dunk, or dare I say it, homerun. But those would be "names" that fit the criteria MB set for himslef. Now if my memory is wrong about the BCS part of his HC experience limitation, please correct me. I am pretty sure he said that.

I would even be overwhelmed by several coordinators out there and a non-BCS hc, the aforementioned Sonny Dykes.

Coordinators:

1. Bob Diaco
2. Justin Wilcox
3. Derek Mason at Stanford
4. Kirby Smart (likely SEC bound eventually)
5. Noel Mazzone

Are any of these guys the best candidate? I don't know, but those are some names that would make me sit up and take notice.

A guy from the MWC with one total year of HC experience just doesn't make me go "wow". He may end up being great if he is the guy. If that happens, I'll support him just like I did Hawk and Embo until it became clear to me they weren't getting it done.

As I posted on his thread on Nov. 28th: My dream hire would be Deruyter as HC, bring Dave Schramm with him as OC, and lure Kalani Sitake away from Utah to be Asst. HC, DC, and recruiting coordinator. Schramm and Sitake worked together at Utah from 2005 to 2011. Imagine Shane Dillon running a spread offense with an aggressive 3-4 defense anchored by big Polynesian linemen and fast linebackers. The B & G would be exciting and fearsome again.

Where do I sign up? Schramm certainly did a very good job this season for Frenso State and that never entered my mind. DeRuyter is already a proven defensive coach and that is the area that CU needs to improve the most.

I was for Bronco Mendenall but it appears that he is no longer being considered.

I was for Bronco Mendenall but it appears that he is no longer being considered.

Living in Salt Lake City, I can tell you that Bronco is listening to offers for a reason. He's taking a lot of heat around here for completely mismanaging the QB position at BYU. I won't go into the details here in the Deruyter thread, but I will say that I tried to tease some of my Mormon friends about the possibility that we would steal their coach and it was a fail. They said we're welcome to him.

Why should I care about Tom Nalen's opinion? Cause he was a former Bronco?

I can agree that there are several question marks about D-Root, specifically his ability as a head coach and how successful he might be with his own recruits in place. However, what we do know about him is not lackluster. His defenses at AFA were solid. His defense at aTm improved dramatically in the first year under his tutelage. His defense at Fresno St is only giving up 22.2 points per game, and his team went from 4-9 under Hill the previous year to 9-3 in one year under Deruyter (this is with a new offensive and defensive system in place). There was absolutely talent on that team, but I'm not going to bash the guy figuring out how to utilize that talent effectively.

I still give an edge to MacIntyre, but as I've said elsewhere, I really don't think there's that much of a gap between the two gentlemen.

I think DeRuyter, MacIntyre and Mendenhall all have a lot of potential in Boulder. More than Jones. I love the defensive pedigree of those three, particularly Mendenhall. What would you think of Greg Roman of Stanford, SanFran?

Do I have to be realistic?

If not that is easy. I'll assume you would want realistic answers, which are virtually impossible for me to know since I talk to exactly zero of the coaching prospects. I might add I am not getting paid one red cent to be right about this, on the contrary I pay to see the product. By doing so I get to be the final arbiter of whether I think the job was done right, at least as far as my $$$ (which ain't much) and participation are concerned.

So with those caveats I'll look to what the AD himself said. I know he said HC, I am pretty sure he said BCS experience. So on that basis, in no order of preference:

1. Tommy Bowden
2. Jim Leavitt
3. Ron Zook
4. Butch Davis
5. Al Golden
6. Sonny Dykes (non-BCS and gone to Cal now anyway)
7. Dirk Koetter
8. Mark Mangino (not gonna happen, but the guy can coach)
9. Strong (not gonna happen)

Just a few names. Not that I think any one of them is a slam dunk, or dare I say it, homerun. But those would be "names" that fit the criteria MB set for himslef. Now if my memory is wrong about the BCS part of his HC experience limitation, please correct me. I am pretty sure he said that.

I would even be overwhelmed by several coordinators out there and a non-BCS hc, the aforementioned Sonny Dykes.

Coordinators:

1. Bob Diaco
2. Justin Wilcox
3. Derek Mason at Stanford
4. Kirby Smart (likely SEC bound eventually)
5. Noel Mazzone

Are any of these guys the best candidate? I don't know, but those are some names that would make me sit up and take notice.

A guy from the MWC with one total year of HC experience just doesn't make me go "wow". He may end up being great if he is the guy. If that happens, I'll support him just like I did Hawk and Embo until it became clear to me they weren't getting it done.

I don't recall BOHN ever coming out and saying that he wanted a BCS coach. In fact I think the specific commentary from Mike Bohn has really been few and far between on this hire. I think there have been a lot of comments by other people, such as Ringo, Woody Paige, etc. saying that they had spoken with Bohn, and Bohn's search was centered on current head coaches.

That was also more than a week ago, when there were more head coaches available. Given the way coaches have been heading off to other schools, I would anticipate that Bohn is down to coordinators by now.

Back