What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Times Higher Education: CU #33 in World Rankings

Lots to disagree with there, but the one that jumps out at me is putting Ohio State ahead of Brown. Not buying that.

Lots to disagree with there, but the one that jumps out at me is putting Ohio State ahead of Brown. Not buying that.

Not worth getting bothered by.

It's a beauty contest, all depends on the criteria used and how the judge or judges see that criteria.

I could see ways that you put tOSU ahead of Brown. Look at the total research output. When you have one school with less than a fifth the student population of the other school and less than a fifth the faculty involved in research (just guessing at the numbers, tOSU is a huge university numberswise, Brown relatively small) then just weighing the total amount of material published puts the bigger school way ahead.

I can also see an arguement that Brown is to an extent living on it's Ivy League connections and not maintaining the level that has traditionally been accorded it, who knows?

You could make an arguement that the whole thing is flawed. Just supposing you look at a school like Mines. Doesn't get mentioned but it's graduates are in very high demand and on average make more money than almost any other school on the list. It's research function is very narrow but it is considered to be the authority in it's specific field.

Heck, if you want to place an emphasis on fibers and sheepbreeding our neighbors to the north might end up in the top 10 and we wouldn't be on the list.

Nice list to be on and certainly can't hurt in the PR department but does it really matter, no.

Back