What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 10 Coaches to Replace Hawk - Bleacher Report

Bienemy and Embree left CU because they saw the writing on the wall with Barnett, their good buddy was the new (and African American) HC at UCLA and Bienemy had family in Cali that could help with the care his son needed.

I don't want someone who comes here as a stepping stone to a bigger job. Hence, I'm not big on Richt, Venables, Bellotti, etc. I think Miles would stick around. Would be a great hire IMO. Embree and Bienemy as OC would be great for recruiting. Probably goood enough to get us to 8-9 win seasons on a consistent basis. More if they have any ability as gameday coaches.

Guys, this is easy. I called it last fall -- Mike Bellotti will be the next HC at CU. He has won in the Pac 10 in a very similar school to CU, is a no-nonsense coach, and a good recruiter. Plus, he wants to get back in the game. Connect the dots -- I think this is a no-brainer.

Then all we need is Phil Knight to donate millions to CU and we're set.

An Idea. I am interested in both Cabral and Kiesau, fire Hawk early in the season and give Kiesau the interm tag, Cabral the Assistant HC tag, and see what they do. Give a little better idea of how they would handle things without Coach Funky Karma getting in their way.

:thumbsup:

Dirk Koetter is another name that comes to mind. His time at ASU was around average(40-34), but he recruited well to ASU and ran a good offense imo.

I could get behind a Jon Embree hire.

An Idea. I am interested in both Cabral and Kiesau, fire Hawk early in the season and give Kiesau the interm tag, Cabral the Assistant HC tag, and see what they do. Give a little better idea of how they would handle things without Coach Funky Karma getting in their way.

If you're going to do this, do it now. Don't wait for Fall camp. Do it right this very second. It allows Kiseau/Cabral to put together the kind of team they want to put together and form some kind of identity from the outset. If they wait until Hawk steps on his dick, it's too late for this option.

Haven't we learned about Boise guys? No thanks.

Well he did have moderate success at ASU. Biggest knock on him was his record against ranked teams. He did recruit well to Tempe for a program that hasn't reached the success CU has. I always liked his vertical passing offense.

What we have to avoid, IMO, is falling into the trap of saying "well, he's better than what we have". Just about anybody would be better than what we have. Just being better than what we have is no great accomplishment. We need to be shooting higher than "better than what we have".

What we have to avoid, IMO, is falling into the trap of saying "well, he's better than what we have". Just about anybody would be better than what we have. Just being better than what we have is no great accomplishment. We need to be shooting higher than "better than what we have".
:iagree:

This just goes to show how bad we have been under Hawk. When our sights are not set on the eventual target of winning a BCS league, playing in a BCS level bowl game, and in time if/when things fall into place getting mentioned in the race for a national championship we are not CU anymore.

I recognize that those goals are a loooooooong way off right now but that is what we should be shooting for, nothing less. If we are going to settle for being mediocre we might as well skip the PAC and join the MWC and become CSU.

Realistically we belong at the top level, we do not have the budget and the resources that Texas, Florida, Ohio State, U$C, etc have but we have spent some long stretches in the top 25 with a lot of top 10 finishes, we have won a MNC, we have won our league and been on the big stage.

To accept less than this as our real target is an insult to all of those players in the past and the future who put on that jersey and bust their butts to go out their and win for CU and their teammates.

Our disadvantages may mean that we have to work harder and smarter at it than the "powers" do but our history says it is doable, now to get some people in charge of the program who believe that and are willing to make it happen.

From Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410292-10-coaches-to-replace-dan-hawkins-at-colorado

Top 10 Coaches to Replace Hawk

10. Troy Calhoun (Air Force - Head Coach)
9. Mike Price (UTEP - Head Coach)
8. Todd Graham (Tulsa- Head Coach)
7. Brent Venables (Oklahoma - Defensive Coordinator)
6. Eric Kiesau (Colorado - Offensive Coordinator)
5. Rich Rodriguez (Michigan - Head Coach)
4. Dave Christensen (Wyoming - Head Coach)
3. Norm Chow (UCLA - Offensive Coordinator)
2. Guz Malzahn (Auburn - Offensive Coordinator)
1. Chris Petersen (Boise State - Head Coach)

I first pick would be Rich Rodriquez. Com'on! West Virginia was a power when he was the coach. And if given enough time, Michigan would be too. Then Dave Christensen. Then Kiesau. And as a bonus Troy Calhoun to run the option in Boulder. How sweet would that be!

That list is terrible. The idea that Eric Kiesau would even be a consideration is laughable. I like the guy, but I would be seriously pissed off if he is our next head coach.

Calhoun, Venables, and Malzahn are the best names on that list. Calhoun can actually run a pro-style offense if given the right personnel. I would add Al Golden and Jim McElwain.

The head coach is only part of the equation though. The next coordinators at this school need to be guys with BCS experience. No more Helfrich/Collins experience.

From Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410292-10-coaches-to-replace-dan-hawkins-at-colorado

Top 10 Coaches to Replace Hawk

10. Troy Calhoun (Air Force - Head Coach)
9. Mike Price (UTEP - Head Coach)
8. Todd Graham (Tulsa- Head Coach)
7. Brent Venables (Oklahoma - Defensive Coordinator)
6. Eric Kiesau (Colorado - Offensive Coordinator)
5. Rich Rodriguez (Michigan - Head Coach)
4. Dave Christensen (Wyoming - Head Coach)
3. Norm Chow (UCLA - Offensive Coordinator)
2. Guz Malzahn (Auburn - Offensive Coordinator)
1. Chris Petersen (Boise State - Head Coach)

Some pretty disturbing names on this list. Petersen may have been the brains, but I think I might puke if we hire another Boise guy.

That is a stupid list made by a lazy reporter.

Norm Chow - the guy is like 70 years old and is noted to not be a people friendly person.
Eric Kiesau - give me a break.
Mike Price - No scandal ridden coach need to apply. Plus he is about 70 years old.
Rich Rod - no way.

I don't think we will be too interested in another Boise State Coach - that did not work out too well.

Here is what I would like to see...

A coordinator level coach at a successful BCS program. One that has worked under one of the top coaches in the country. And has a reputation as a top recruiter. That is a formula that worked in the past.

Why would any Buff fan be talking about Kiesau? His development of WRs when he was coach at that position was nothing to write home about. He has been totally lost as an OC. Cannot get the plays in in time, Offense is absolutely horrible under his watch. I don't hate the guy as a person but to say he has been unimpressive as an assistant is being kind.

I want the bar higher than a one year coordinator with a bad record.

Peterson can coach Boise or not. He wouldnt be my choice but im not calling the shots. I dont like the list but I wouldnt be opposed to Ambrose being dc while Cabral was head and Ambrose was his replacement. I dont mean overnight, a few years, Cabral has earned it.

Top of my list would be Mark Richt. He's apparently worn out his welcome in Athens, and the guy knows college football. He can recruit and he's not intimidated by competition. Second on the list is Les Miles. Fron what I can gather, the folks in Louisiana are flat out nuts, and whatever success they have isn't good enough. I think one or both of these coaches will be available at the end of the year.
That's a real possibility, but can CU afford them?
tony_hayward_lar&#103.jpg

"Most hated man in America"

Embree as OC, EB as head coach, Cabral as DC, Keep Hagan, and Ambrose and this team would be tough with attitude and all of these guys can recruit. Maybe some one like Kanavis Mcgee as a D-line coach, he has Texas ties as a Head coach.

What an utterly craptastic list of candidates. It must've been a CSU grad that wrote that crap, obviously a mole to prevent us from having a winning season in the next decade. I mean Mike Price is on nobody's list...in fact, I think if you went to coaches hotseat he is right behind Hawkins. Kiesau...really?

I'll give you some names. I've posted David Gibbs a few times before. I think he is the best coach out of the CU family, but I have been told by others that he dislikes recruiting. Fine, bring him with a position coach(es) that are lights out recruiters and this doesn't matter so much.

Speaking of lights out recruiters, how 'bout Ken Norton Jr., formerly of USC and now with the NFL Seahawks. Socal ties and a great recruiter.

Uconn coach Randy Edsall is an east coast guy, but should be on the list. Might be hard to lure west.

Here is my wild card....Dan McCarney, former Iowa State coach and current DL coach for the gators. I always thought he did a great job for ISU in a place where you absolutely cannot win. I mean, what do you sell at ISU?

Embree as OC, EB as head coach, Cabral as DC, Keep Hagan, and Ambrose and this team would be tough with attitude and all of these guys can recruit. Maybe some one like Kanavis Mcgee as a D-line coach, he has Texas ties as a Head coach.

I like this idea. Our team is way too soft right now and they have NO Discipline at all. We need some more tough guys.

That list is craptacular. I like Malzahn, but he has pretty limited experience, the guy sure can coach offense though. When Hawk was about to be fired I remember my favorite candidates were: Al Golden, Mike London, and Malzanh. London got the job at UVA I think, so he's out. I still really like Golden, but I think BuffinVA(?) had some insight on him at UVA and wasn't as impressed. The way I see it is, we need a guy that is amazing on one side of the ball at the coordinator level. We can then offer one of the long term contracts to a guy to run the other side of the ball. No more head of the program types like Hawk that do everything and nothing well. I don't care what the coach does, spread offense, 3-4 defense, as long as he will come in and put a system in place and recruit for that system. Not this garbage we've had with Hawk where we target random players for different systems because we never have the same system for more than a year.

oops I meant to put Dwayne Walker instead of Malzahn twice. Especially with the Pac12 move, Walker at the very least will recruit 10x better than Hawk does. He also will get us to play some solid defense, knows the Pac10, and hopefully can hire someone to run the offense.

Last edited:

You're on a roll, why not bring back Klatt to coach QBs and Dusty Sprague as WR coach while you're at it. John Torp as special teams coach? I don't know, just spitballin' here.

You're on a roll, why not bring back Klatt to coach QBs and Dusty Sprague as WR coach while you're at it. John Torp as special teams coach? I don't know, just spitballin' here.

Yes. Only ex-CU players need apply. No way that doesn't work out for the best.

Three guys I'd like to see considered:

Jon Embree (But, only if Bienemy comes with) - These guys have good experience recruiting California, have coached in the Pac 10, have coached in the NFL and believe they would put together a solid staff.

Jim McElwain (Offensive Coordinator - Alabama) - Have heard rumors that he was one of the guys Bohn was looking at before the Hawkins firing fell through.. He runs the type of offense that fits best at Colorado and has experience at Colorado. He also coached for the Raiders and Fresno St so he is familiar with California.

Brett Venables - For the reasons stated throughout

Speaking of lights out recruiters, how 'bout Ken Norton Jr., formerly of USC and now with the NFL Seahawks. Socal ties and a great recruiter.

?

**** McCarney but I like your Norton idea. The original list is a joke. We need to be looking at Pac 10 assistant coaches that are ready for a head job since we are going to the Pac 10.

Unless they have a very good year I also think that Gary Kubiak is going to be available. He has some CSU ties but I think the CU job would appeal to him and I think he could be a big-time winner with our program.

Unless they have a very good year I also think that Gary Kubiak is going to be available. He has some CSU ties but I think the CU job would appeal to him and I think he could be a big-time winner with our program.

He already turned it down once.. I'm not a huge fan of going back to Dick Tharp's idea.

Back