What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 5 CU Buffs storylines heading into fall camp

Only thing I can think that would support Tini's assertion is that at a larger size, Gillam will be the one dishing the punishment not taking it. That should help reduce concussions I would think.

That being said, that argument is a huge stretch. A predisposition to concussions backed by a history of concussions means gillam is at a higher risk for concussions.

You can just as easily get a concussion by dishing it out as you can by receiving it.

I have no science to back this up, but I'm actually going to side with Tini on this one. Being bigger and stronger will give AG the ability to bring down a runner a lot easier with proper technique and he won't be lowering his head or propelling himself quite as much to ensure the tackle. That's my logic anyway.

Taking the head out of the game is a huge emphasis at the high school level right now and many teams, including the one I coach for, are using the Seahawks' instructional video to "re teach" tackling with as a rugby-style. This is a good article if anyone is interested, and it has some links to watch the video.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-...keyes-pete-carroll-seahawks-tackle-techniques

You can just as easily get a concussion by dishing it out as you can by receiving it.

Taking the head out of the game is a huge emphasis at the high school level right now and many teams, including the one I coach for, are using the Seahawks' instructional video to "re teach" tackling with as a rugby-style. This is a good article if anyone is interested, and it has some links to watch the video.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-...keyes-pete-carroll-seahawks-tackle-techniques

Part of the reason I was excited about possibly adding Rocky Seto to the defensive staff. The technique they are teaching in seattle is not only effective, but its safer for all involved.

Last edited:
Party of the reason I was excited about possibly adding Rocky Seto to the defensive staff. The technique they are teaching in seattle is not only effective, but its safer for all involved.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere but take the facemasks off from the helmets. Problem solved. There's a reason they use that technique in rugby.

The tini has spoken.

Nothing to see here or be concerned about with Gillam.

/endthread

Party of the reason I was excited about possibly adding Rocky Seto to the defensive staff. The technique they are teaching in seattle is not only effective, but its safer for all involved.

Same. My HS team implemented it during our Spring practices and during all the Summer workouts. It takes getting used to because, like the article states, it goes against everything these kids (and us coaches) have been taught from a young age. Re learning the muscle memory is the hardest part, but the results have been undeniable.

Ross has game changing speed. If he has put it together, he's a weapon that changes the CU offense.
If we have at least one guy that can spread the field and give opponent's D someone else to worry about than Nelson, Mr. Spruce is gonna have a great year and so will the O. Lots of what ifs this year...and if some go our way we may just have a decent season on our hands.

So, tini, there is absolutely zero reason to be concerned about gillam being available and healthy for the majority of the season?

Now that Gilliam has had two concussions, he could put on 90 lbs. of muscle and it won't matter....he is more likely to get them now than he was before and while his muscle helps him with the head on collision that he sees coming, it has nothing to do with the earhole shot he can get or the double team that ends up knocking him backwards and allowing him to whiplash his head even if it doesn't hit the ground. Gilliam staying healthy for the entire year is a gamble.

Now that Gilliam has had two concussions, he could put on 90 lbs. of muscle and it won't matter....he is more likely to get them now than he was before and while his muscle helps him with the head on collision that he sees coming, it has nothing to do with the earhole shot he can get or the double team that ends up knocking him backwards and allowing him to whiplash his head even if it doesn't hit the ground. Gilliam staying healthy for the entire year is a gamble.
Agreed, and I think what people are forgetting is that he was super close to being done with football all together. I posted a thread in barzil back in January that he was highly considering not playing. Part of it is he was just coming back from winter break and home, and another is he literally was throwing up blood. It's not that he has had two concussions last year, it is these concussions were both fairly severe. He gets one more even a minor one, the coaching staff will have to be super careful and have to consider his future other than football.

So, tini, there is absolutely zero reason to be concerned about gillam being available and healthy for the majority of the season?

Not what i was saying, you said one game. The kid is healthy as it stands. Never said there aren't any concerns, but people are blowing the injury stuff out of proportion as if he has missed two years of games.

And mass of the injured player is a concussion risk factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agreed, and I think what people are forgetting is that he was super close to being done with football all together. I posted a thread in barzil back in January that he was highly considering not playing. Part of it is he was just coming back from winter break and home, and another is he literally was throwing up blood. It's not that he has had two concussions last year, it is these concussions were both fairly severe. He gets one more even a minor one, the coaching staff will have to be super careful and have to consider his future other than football.
Good point. I am no longer considering AG a viable option to complete the season at ILB. We'll be screwed at that point at LB so hopefully the DL can help hide some of our shortfalls there.

Last edited:
Same. My HS team implemented it during our Spring practices and during all the Summer workouts. It takes getting used to because, like the article states, it goes against everything these kids (and us coaches) have been taught from a young age. Re learning the muscle memory is the hardest part, but the results have been undeniable.

It just makes so much sense. Tackling, pragmatically, is about getting a guy to the ground without allowing him to fall forward for extra yards. This technique does that better than going for kill shots and is much safer for the players.

It just makes so much sense. Tackling, pragmatically, is about getting a guy to the ground without allowing him to fall forward for extra yards. This technique does that better than going for kill shots and is much safer for the players.
But defense is also about causing Turnovers and kill shots do that.

That's fine, but he doesn't have a injury history, just bad luck last year. The kid is at 225-230 now, a far cry from the 200 at best he was during the season last year and his concussions were a result of being so much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have to trust that i am better connected than you, there is legitimate concern over his health and he is still day-to-day.

Back