What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 5 Wide Receivers Ever At C.U.

This was his 16th post. :rofl: :uglyhammer:

dude message boards are for discussion, don't post your **** on here unless you expect to be told you are wrong.

Everyone has to start somewhere, right? I have no problem with anyone telling me I am wrong, my point was chill, there is no need to jump down anyone's throat. I think we all know as BUFF fans that we can be tough on others when it comes to football, save it for nebraska. I appreciate those that give valid points in regards to the list and yes I will stick around. Hope to have "discussions" with many of you in the future. :thumbsup:

Everyone has to start somewhere, right? I have no problem with anyone telling me I am wrong, my point was chill, there is no need to jump down anyone's throat. I think we all know as BUFF fans that we can be tough on others when it comes to football, save it for nebraska. I appreciate those that give valid points in regards to the list and yes I will stick around. Hope to have "discussions" with many of you in the future. :thumbsup:
fair nuff. welcome rep delivered. you will regret it :lol:

Cliff Branch was a great Buff, but he really didn't come into his own as a excellent receiver until he joined the Raidahs---I swear Al Davis glued $100 bills to the FB and told Cliff he could keep the Benjamins only if he caught the damn ball! That turned it around for Cliff, that and a few ozs. of stick-em per hand!

yards is an unfair measure when you are comparing guys across different eras.

put cliff branch or mike pritchard in a 2009 passing offense and we wouldn't even be having this convo.

this isn't baseball. there is a big difference from era to era.

the top 4, in no particular order are:

westbrook
branch
cj
pritchard

the 5th slot, you can make a case for logan or carruth or some other guys.

Cliff Branch was a great Buff, but he really didn't come into his own as a excellent receiver until he joined the Raidahs---I swear Al Davis glued $100 bills to the FB and told Cliff he could keep the Benjamins only if he caught the damn ball! That turned it around for Cliff, that and a few ozs. of stick-em per hand!

In 1971, Cliff's SR season, CU had the nations 11th best ground game. Yet Branch still managed to "average 18.5 yards per catch, best in school history at the time, for 35 or more career catches (it’s still sixth)". CU was a running team. 11th in the nation and second in the Big 8. Remember, 71 was the 1,2,3 year. kNU, OU, and CU finished third in the nation.

Sometimes people remember Cliff as just a return guy. He was more than that. He was arguably the best weapon at WR that CU ever had. Next to Westbrook and Carruth. Of course this is just my opinion.

And he did this in 2 seasons as a Juco kid.

and another thing... you could poll 10,000,000 random folks off the street. that doesn't make your list legit. what do they know about CU football (and notice i didn't use any "." after the C and after the U)?

there are at least 200 posters here who have forgotten more CU football facts than your 1000 points of light in your poll.

and another thing... you could poll 10,000,000 random folks off the street. that doesn't make your list legit. what do they know about CU football (and notice i didn't use any "." after the C and after the U)?

there are at least 200 posters here who have forgotten more CU football facts than your 1000 points of light in your poll.
:popcorn:

and it begins. (again). :lol:

The argument can be made that Branch is the best player to come out of CU, particularly based on NFL accomplishments. I still say Whizzer White, but I give Branch a lot of credit. I'm sorry MattThompson, but it seems to be the consensus that your list is horrible - perhaps you should just redo it.

:popcorn:

and it begins. (again). :lol:

:cool:i am not trying to give him too hard a time... i got a little chapped at the "well, we did a poll with 1000 responses, therefore we must be right" tone he brought. dude is on here, shilling (gently, i admit) some commercial site-- he could at least be polite rather than saying he must be right because he found 1000 tards off the street to vote a particular way. imho, his poll results are ****ed beyond hope on this particular subject.

see? this is me, wearing my "play nice" hat.

:lol:

Another great fact. Crowder ran a Slot I triple option in 71. And Branch still managed to not only put up good numbers, but be named as a WR to the AA list.

Here are some of the kids that started for the 71 team.
JV Cain
Charlie Davis
Bo Matthews
Bob Masten
Herb Orbvis
John "Bad Dude" Stearns.
The list goes on and on.

Edit: The AA list didn't include a spot for returners until 1982 I think.

Another great fact. Crowder ran a Slot I triple option in 71. And Branch still managed to not only put up good numbers, but be named as a WR, to the AA list.

i am looking forward to seeing the poll results from matt t. that show hagan not in the top 5 because he didn't throw for as many yards as klatt.

:rofl:

i am looking forward to seeing the poll results from matt t. that show hagan not in the top 5 because he didn't throw for as many yards as klatt.

I'm one of Cliff Branch's BIGGEST fans. I think he and Matt Russell, are my top two favorite players. My father told me all the stories about Cliff. So I get a little touchy when someone says he's not one of the top 5 WR's at CU.

Last edited:

Where did we learn all of this naughty trash talkin? Was this during your stint on Hollywood Blvd. blowing the other homos, dykes, errrr huskers? How's that for tone? Hagan was talented, but now he's just a drunk who tries to coach. Hagan would tell you that Maker's Mark is for pussies, Old English 40oz is the only way to roll. I haven't put that top 5 list together yet, but I'm sure that when I do you'll come out of your cave and try to **** on it too. I won't give a **** about your opinion today, tomorrow, or the next day liver, go drink, and then drive buddy, preferably on I 80.

Where did we learn all of this naughty trash talkin? Was this during your stint on Hollywood Blvd. blowing the other homos, dykes, errrr huskers? How's that for tone? Hagan was talented, but now he's just a drunk who tries to coach. Hagan would tell you that Maker's Mark is for pussies, Old English 40oz is the only way to roll. I haven't put that top 5 list together yet, but I'm sure that when I do you'll come out of your cave and try to **** on it too. I won't give a **** about your opinion today, tomorrow, or the next day liver, go drink, and then drive buddy, preferably on I 80.
:popcorn: With your thick skin you are definitely ready to run a major site :lol:

Wow. Did the guy with 20 posts here really just accuse the guy who has been here from day one of coming out of his "cave" to **** on something?? :lol: (Which, in the case of that top 5 WR list, would seem to be the very definition of redundancy... :rolleyes:). I thought this site had seen the very best in lack of self awareness that there was, but I am continually surprised... :lol:

As for the comments about Hagan, or your last comments to Liver, I'd say you've made a pretty decent case for ending your brief stay here.... :huh:

Neg rep here. As I mentioned in my neg rep comment, if you want to spend time on this forum, you must take criticism for football posts without retaliating with personal attacks on a long time poster. And wishing for someone to drink and drive? Hmm, come on you are better than that (I hope).

To everyone on here, I am so sorry, my roomate put that last post up on here, not me. If there is any way to erase that post, please do. I would never write anything like that at all, I consider myself to be a good writer with a good reputation, so again, please forgive the last post under my name. To the poster Liver, please understand the situation. I hope to be around here for a long time and clearly that post would work against that. I don't mind criticism at all, it comes with the territory of writing. Again, please accept my sincere apologies, it won't happen again.

Neg rep here. As I mentioned in my neg rep comment, if you want to spend time on this forum, you must take criticism for football posts without retaliating with personal attacks on a long time poster. And wishing for someone to drink and drive? Hmm, come on you are better than that (I hope).

Well, i did the bitch out neg rep, but did sign my name---but forgot to switch it to 'neg' rep.:argh::doh:

To everyone on here, I am so sorry, my roomate put that last post up on here, not me. If there is any way to erase that post, please do. I would never write anything like that at all, I consider myself to be a good writer with a good reputation, so again, please forgive the last post under my name. To the poster Liver, please understand the situation. I hope to be around here for a long time and clearly that post would work against that. I don't mind criticism at all, it comes with the territory of writing. Again, please accept my sincere apologies, it won't happen again.

OK, that makes me feel better about screwing up the neg rep---and it did seem a far cry from what you had posted before.

Branch was awesome--he was 42 yrs old and burned his son for a legitimate TD in the alumni game one year. I still think Pritch was the overall best, he could catch, return and run the ball. He was the most complete player of any mentioned IMO.

Branch was awesome--he was 42 yrs old and burned his son for a legitimate TD in the alumni game one year. I still think Pritch was the overall best, he could catch, return and run the ball. He was the most complete player of any mentioned IMO.

I took a summer math class and he was in there. This was right after he got drafted. He showed up to the class every day with a briefcase. :lol:

BTW - I totally agree. Pritch was a great receiver and it's a shame he gets overlooked so often. The catch he made in Lincoln in 89 on the sideline saved that game. Everybody talks about EB's 4 touchdowns, but that catch, in the rain, getting one foot miraculously in bounds, was nothing short of incredible.

I took a summer math class and he was in there. This was right after he got drafted. He showed up to the class every day with a briefcase. :lol:

BTW - I totally agree. Pritch was a great receiver and it's a shame he gets overlooked so often. The catch he made in Lincoln in 89 on the sideline saved that game. Everybody talks about EB's 4 touchdowns, but that catch, in the rain, getting one foot miraculously in bounds, was nothing short of incredible.

I don't know if it "saved" that game, but it had a lot to do with it. I think the real killer for the huskers was us stopping them on a fake punt deep in their own territory when we were up 13-12, after that the huskers gave.

Pritch actually had two big catches in that game. One was a long pass down teh sideline, and the other was inside the 5. Both times he was defended well and he got one foot in.

If I recall correctly, the catch I'm referring to was in the 4th quarter, as we were driving. The ball was around the 40 yard line, still outside of FG range, and it was third and kinda long, like maybe 5 or 6. The pass was a 15 or 20 yard out. I don't know what the score was at the time, but that play basically kept alive a drive that eventually became a TD. There were a lot of heroes in that game. EB, Hagan, Alfred just to name a couple. But Pritch was definitely a big part of that win.

Don't forget Boyd Dowler.

My list:

Cliff Branch
Charles Johnson
Mike Pritchard
Boyd Dowler
Michael Westbrook

If I recall correctly, the catch I'm referring to was in the 4th quarter, as we were driving. The ball was around the 40 yard line, still outside of FG range, and it was third and kinda long, like maybe 5 or 6. The pass was a 15 or 20 yard out. I don't know what the score was at the time, but that play basically kept alive a drive that eventually became a TD. There were a lot of heroes in that game. EB, Hagan, Alfred just to name a couple. But Pritch was definitely a big part of that win.

yep, I agree. I wish there were some footage of that game on youtube, I have it on VHS. It was a game we physically took over in the 4th. Actually, we really dominated the huskers the entire game, EB just kept shooting us in the foot with his fumbles. There were two times we were in the redzone in the first half, one time we had 1st and goal inside the 5 and got nothing out of it.

:lol: maybe your "roomate" shouldn't have access to your pc if you are a serious writer and all.

Total yards are nice, but I used the "clutch catch factor" when I put my list together.

Westbrook
Branch
Pritchard
Carruth
Johnson

As much as Ray totally screwed up his life (and others) after turning pro. He could have become one of the greats at his position in the NFL. Amazing he managed to keep his head screwed on half way straight while he was with the Buffs.

Back