What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tough Times in the near term...

The talent situation is what it is. Embree's addressing it, but it takes time--literally years--to build up enough depth just to compete week to week in a BCS conference. I think the coaching staff has taken the problem head on, with no excuses.

One could even say that the program was "burnt to the ground" when Embree was hired, but that would be impolite.

More like ground zero, or it was burned to the gournd, swept up and dropped into the Marianas Trench.

There's three games CU should win, three games they have no chance in hell of winning, and six games that could go either way. The problem we have had the last several years is that we've lost most of those games that could go either way. Last year, for instance, we had games against Hawaii, Cal, WSU, UCLA, ASU, Arizona and Utah that "could go either way". We lost five of those seven games.
I was trying to do a quick FIFY, but couldn't just change a few things. I would re-word this as:
The problem we had before last year was that we lost many of the games we should have won, and all of the games games that could go either way. Last year, we showed some improvement by winning the game we should have won, and also winning 2 of 7 that could have gone either way.

Last year really was an improvement over the prior years' efforts - the schedule was simply brutal. If we keep the same percentages as last year (win all the ones we should and 29% of the ones that could go either way), that would be a 4 or 5 win season. Any improvement at all, and we're looking at 5 or 6 wins, which is sort of my expectation right now.

Of course, I just know that we're going to start 3-0, and I will start tasting the kool-aid. Then we'll win at Wazzoo, and I will start shot-gunning it. And then sometime over the following 5 games when reality sets in again I will have to be talked off the ledge because the kool-aid lied man. It lied I tell you.

The roster has a number of weak spots, some by the numbers, some by the talent. (Thanks Mike, Dr. Phil, Bruce and of course, DII). It is going to be some tough sledding, but I remain confident the team will eclipse last year's win total, and has an outside shot at a bowl berth.

The roster has a number of weak spots, some by the numbers, some by the talent. (Thanks Mike, Dr. Phil, Bruce and of course, DII). It is going to be some tough sledding, but I remain confident the team will eclipse last year's win total, and has an outside shot at a bowl berth.

That is where I am at but I also realize that because of the weak spots that achieving that goal could be very tenuous if CU gets a few more bad breaks.

The tough part here is all the fans that aren't familiar with the situation and expect to win right now. Plus every week we'll have to remind ourselves why it is like this rather than get sucked in to Jimmy and other people bitching nonstop about the coaching staff.

I think Embree will get time to show what he can do, but it is going to get ugly off the field before we begin winning I think
Things can only get better without Hawkins.

HawkinsPillarPul&#108.jpg

We need to see big improvements in special teams. I think we'll still be at the bottom of the PAC-12 in penalties though. With that many freshman playing, the penalties are going to be epic once again.

We need to see big improvements in special teams. I think we'll still be at the bottom of the PAC-12 in penalties though. With that many freshman playing, the penalties are going to be epic once again.

I agree. Every thing we can do that helps us gain yardage and field position is going to be key. Doing the above plus having a great turnover margin is what I think it's going to take beyond the offensive/defensive performance in order to to get to a bowl game.

It seems like ~1/3 of our low performance on special teams last year was entirely preventable. We fielded punts at the 4 yard line, kicked off out of bounds, roughed kickers, etc. We may not find a dynamite return man on the roster next year, but we need to tackle better and cut out the mental mistakes.

Our special teams will be better but due to youth we will likey have some huge breakdowns.

I agree with you on the penalties as well but I am much more willing to accept penalties of agression and effort instead of the penalties of lack of effort and focus we had under Hawk. If a guy jumps offside trying to make a play that is way better than delay of games or illegal formations.

Back