What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Track & Field question

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
As great as CU is at distance events, we don't seem to be able to put together a full T&F team that can challenge for a Top 3 in the Pac-12 and it seems like we're light years behind Oregon.

We've all got the same scholarship limitations, so it can't just be that.

What needs to change with resources & facilities in order for CU to become a national power at Indoor & Outdoor T&F?

As a former sprinter I'll say that training for sprints in Colorado, or any cold weather location, is difficult. Warm to hot temps are ideal as your muscles stay looser, so you can go full speed without fear of pulling your hamstrings.

Plus, indoor facilities suck for training for the 100, 200, 400, or relays.

As a former sprinter I'll say that training for sprints in Colorado, or any cold weather location, is difficult. Warm to hot temps are ideal as your muscles stay looser, so you can go full speed without fear of pulling your hamstrings.

Plus, indoor facilities suck for training for the 100, 200, 400, or relays.
Thanks. That makes sense. Maybe there's something that can be done with modern indoor facilities to mitigate that.

As great as CU is at distance events, we don't seem to be able to put together a full T&F team that can challenge for a Top 3 in the Pac-12 and it seems like we're light years behind Oregon.

We've all got the same scholarship limitations, so it can't just be that.

What needs to change with resources & facilities in order for CU to become a national power at Indoor & Outdoor T&F?

More of the scholarships would need to get used for other events like sprints, jumps, and throws. When it comes to track, with limited entries, there are only so many points to be had in the distance races. 400 runners are great athletes to spend scholarships on, as they can usually run up and down from there and are great relay plug-ins. In order to dominate XC, most scholarships are therefore in the distance areas.

Basically getting more competitive at the top in track would cost some in XC, since those scholarships could go to other areas where more points are available. I have wanted to see MW do this more, but he's stuck to overloading on distance. At a given meet, a distance runner might run one event, typically 2 tops (special or multi-day meet), meaning typically about 10 points (sometimes up to 20) max in a meet, whereas a sprinter, jumper, or thrower can compete in a few events and potentially rack up like 30 plus points each.

As a track coach, I love CU's distance program, but it has definitely sacrificed making greater improvements in other events other than a blip in the radar here or there, which frustrates me. CU can be a great track program. However, with XC's success, it's not likely to change much in the near future.

Agree with Goonie, but I'm fine with CU winning National championships in XC and having a solid distance program in the spring. IMO we'll never compete with the top track programs nationally, even changing where scholarships are allocated.

Boulder is a distance mecca. Putting their focus there is fine with me. Even if sprints are more fun to watch, and cheer for.

Agree with Goonie, but I'm fine with CU winning National championships in XC and having a solid distance program in the spring. IMO we'll never compete with the top track programs nationally, even changing where scholarships are allocated.

Boulder is a distance mecca. Putting their focus there is fine with me. Even if sprints are more fun to watch, and cheer for.

Boulder has been a distance mecca forever. I remember Olympic athletes training at Fairview when I lived across the street from 1978-1980. Was a bit humiliating when an amateur is trying to run laps and getting lapped in a short period of time.

I think Wetmore said they only are allowed 12 scholarships for track and field and cross country so most schools focus on sprints or distances so he focused on distances

I think Wetmore said they only are allowed 12 scholarships for track and field and cross country so most schools focus on sprints or distances so he focused on distances

The focus on distance runners has certainly paid off and CU is a very well known school. I worked for a DIII school here in the PE Department. One of my duties was to do administrative work for the coaches if the :"minor" sports. I only call them minor because there were no scholarships and the coaches all taught two or three classes a semester in addition to coaching.

The Cross Country coach immediately started talking about CU's distance runners by name when I first started working there and told him that I moved here from Boulder. He said he wished he had the talent to coach such a high level athlete.

I believe our indoor track accommodates a full 100 meter track. So we can now support sprinters and field event athletes. Our outdoor facility, from what I remember, is subpar. We can’t even host an official outdoor event I don’t believe. Unless things have changed.

I believe our indoor track accommodates a full 100 meter track. So we can now support sprinters and field event athletes. Our outdoor facility, from what I remember, is subpar. We can’t even host an official outdoor event I don’t believe. Unless things have changed.
My strong suspicion is that we won't see any investment into Potts Field. Rather, I see T&F and Soccer (Prentup) being relocated off the East Campus. Hopefully to where the bubble and old football practice fields are located. Can't put buildings on the flood plain there, so sports fields make a ton of sense. Especially if they provide additional parking & tailgating spots for Folsom.

They did host the Big 12 track and field championships a few years before the conference change and I believe I saw a post that they got a new throwing cage this year. I do think Potts needs help. It will be interesting to see what they do with soccer, lacrosse and track and field venues in the future. All need to be improved if they want to compete with bigger schools in those sports

Back