What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Trouble in Chapel Hill - BREAKING: Butch Davis fired

If I remember correctly (and as I get older that is not guaranteed) the NCAA was pretty busy looking the other way as the SWC engaged in a race to see who could provide their players with the most "benefits." If SMU had had even a little bit of restraint they would have gotten a slap on the wrist but they didn't even try to control the boosters and they didn't even try to hide what was going on. As long as they won games all was good.

Kind of like the U$C situation, they were so bad that the NCAA had no choice but to investigate and even a cursory investigation turned up so much going on that they had to act, especially since it wasn't close to the first time that SMU had turned up dirty. What is amazing is that the NCAA managed to limit the investigation and not nail all the other schools in the conference that were just as bad but a little more carefull with hiding it.

If I remember correctly (and as I get older that is not guaranteed) the NCAA was pretty busy looking the other way as the SWC engaged in a race to see who could provide their players with the most "benefits." If SMU had had even a little bit of restraint they would have gotten a slap on the wrist but they didn't even try to control the boosters and they didn't even try to hide what was going on. As long as they won games all was good.

Kind of like the U$C situation, they were so bad that the NCAA had no choice but to investigate and even a cursory investigation turned up so much going on that they had to act, especially since it wasn't close to the first time that SMU had turned up dirty. What is amazing is that the NCAA managed to limit the investigation and not nail all the other schools in the conference that were just as bad but a little more carefull with hiding it.

Ur very correct, they didnt hide it at all. This was when I started learning what cocaine was. Wonder if Dick still has that Porsche and I wish I was kidding.

Of course, how could we be so stoooopid. Eric D was the starter, so CJ obviously didn't get paid (hahahahaha)

Yep Ive heard him say he took nothing before and Ive never seen that many people shake their heads in a living room at the same time lol.

I remember CJ from his days at Stratford HS in Houston, my guess is he was involved. CJ is a prima donna IMO, know next to nothing about Adam, he could be a great kid for all I know, but the apple and the tree, you know the rest....

funny - Stratford HS was in my District - I never knew he went there...

Losing Blake would be a huge blow to that program. Dude is one of the best recruiters in the nation.

They've already lost him. He resigned this summer. And at the rate this story is going, he won't be going back to work as an NCAA coach ever again.

From now on, if he's recruiting for anybody it will probably be his agent buddy. Assuming either one of them is allowed to have contact with student athletes at all after this.

There was an outside the lines report done on him a month or so ago. It was eye opening. How does this guy keep getting jobs?

Because every where that Blake has been has landed top 5 recruiting classes. The guy is a closer.

What kills me is that the players are getting impacted more by this with their suspensions and whatnot. The NCAA needs to find a way to ensure that John Blake and the agent(s) get penalized for their actions, too, but I doubt that'll happen.

The NC State Attorney General is looking into this so it could include a lot more people.

The point was made earlier in this thread that if the players got some money some of this would not happen. Each university makes a lot of money off of Football and then not much off of everything else. I'm of the opinion the players should be paid. They should also be put on a contract.

Paying kids a couple hundred bucks a month is still not going to stop this type of "funneling".

That hotel bill was $1400 for a week! Airfare? Food? You know there was a lot more going on that didn't produce a receipt.

The NCAA and schools are powerless to stop the players from trying to advance their NFL careers before they even get drafted, that will never stop as long as the NFL salaries are so lucrative. The end justifies the means to all of these people.

I have to honestly look at it and think: "Is it really wrong?" Not in a NCAA-violation sort of way, but in a general, natural law way.

If a Microsoft executive took an interest in your software development project while still a junior in college, paid for you to fly out to Seattle for a week and present it to his company while learning a thing or two about how they develop software, would that be "wrong"?

Would it matter if you were on scholarship?

Most of these football and basketball players basically have ONE career-path...their chosen sport.

I get that there is some benefits to having a well-rounded education for future success, but that isn't for everybody. They have virtually NO other alternative to making it as a professional in football, than to go to a well-respected NCAA program.

This problem would only go away if there was a true NFL sponsored developmental league for kids out of high school. For the kids that just don't give a crap about college courses and want only football. Then guys like John Blake would be perfect for finding opportunities to advance these kids dreams under the tutelage of professional trainers, coaches, etc.

Using the NCAA as a "psuedo minor league" and expecting all of the participants to abide by these amateur rules is the recipe for disaster.

I think football should have a league much like hockey has: Major Junior Hockey where kids basically are billeted, given stipends, but receive top-notch coaching in their chosen profession and get to play against elite competition to showcase their skills for NHL scouts as an alternative to college. I think European soccer clubs operate this way as well, but I don't have any direct knowledge of that system.

Many hockey prospects still choose NCAA programs to develop their hockey careers while also receiving a quality education. As would football prospects.

IMO, this would not hurt the BCS programs at all, but it certainly would impact the programs like Boise State, Montana, Appalachian State, Central Florida etc that are seen as "easy entrance" football factories for kids that don't prioritize their education.

Last edited:
Butch Davis is the coach I'm shocked still has a job. I still don't know how he coached last season, let alone being on board for this season. That will not help UNC when the eventual penalties come down.

So are we still upset that CU didn't hire Davis over Hawk? hawk lost..but no sanctions against us (other than the stupid training table thing).

Joe Schad via twitter:

North Carolina announces that it has received its Notice of Inquiry from the NCAA.

The EDSBS twitter feed had a great line on this topic:

The NCAA finally delivers letter of inquiry to UNC. Will now investigate South Seas Company Bubble, sinking of Maine, and Teapot Dome.

Some rumblings are just a loss of a couple scholarships for 3 years. WTF that's pretty much what we got for our training table "violation"

Some rumblings are just a loss of a couple scholarships for 3 years. WTF that's pretty much what we got for our training table "violation"

The NCAA does play favorites... They also repealed the training table infractions for all schools a few years after we were punished.

The NCAA does play favorites... They also repealed the training table infractions for all schools a few years after we were punished.

Can you cite this at all? I'm not challenging, I just like to accumulate evidence that supports my world view, and I'd like to add this one to my quiver.

I'm aware that Ohio State got away with a near identical violation because NCAA failed to submit their report/violations in time. And I know the rule changed altogether a few months after we were hit, but I'm always anxious to hear other injustices.

I tended to view that training table crap as the NCAA's resonse to Jeremy Bloom's appeal.

Can you cite this at all? I'm not challenging, I just like to accumulate evidence that supports my world view, and I'd like to add this one to my quiver.

I'm aware that Ohio State got away with a near identical violation because NCAA failed to submit their report/violations in time. And I know the rule changed altogether a few months after we were hit, but I'm always anxious to hear other injustices.

I tended to view that training table crap as the NCAA's resonse to Jeremy Bloom's appeal.

Here you go:

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_15463419

In 2007, the NCAA hits Colorado with a number of sanctions because the athletic department had been undercharging non-scholarship players for training-table meals from 2000 to 2005. Barely a month later, the "violations" committed by CU were no longer even against NCAA rules.

Put that in your folder. :smile:

so over 3 years, 85 players per year... that is $155.00 per player.... so each player got an average of $155 in tickets over a 3 year period.... That really isnt a big deal in college.... I think I got that almost every year missing the meters near the CEC..... especially at finals time....
"The university said in a statement that the citations include records for 11 players requested by the media as well as an additional player, whom the school said had 68 tickets."

12 players - $13K = $1,083 each .... pretty impressive, especially the one with 68 tickets to himself!!

Back