What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Trouble in Chapel Hill - BREAKING: Butch Davis fired

So USC has a player whose mother suddenly lives in a house in a nice section of LA who was probably on welfare before, and they just ignore it.
It might be a technicality, and it may be "willful ignorance" but... I don't think coaches do home visits with current players. If a player's family moves into a nicer home than they were in, I'm not sure that it's so "obvious" that the school should know. I'm not sure schools *could* systematically keep up with every player's family living situation, and even if they could, I'm not really sure they should.

A bunch of players driving a series of new cars around campus, to the practice facility, etc... yeah, it's a little harder to believe "you didn't know" cough, tOSU, cough...

So USC has a player whose mother suddenly lives in a house in a nice section of LA who was probably on welfare before, and they just ignore it. He won the Heisman for USC, and you are saying USC didn't benefit from a Heisman and a National Championship? They were stripped of both, but the NCAA can't take the money back that the university made during this period on the football program.

I'm saying that since there's no connection between that agent and USC, it's kind of hard to make the case that Bush would have been playing somewhere else if not for that agent relationship. Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen the suggestion that this was like the Cam Newton situation where the player's parent made it known that talent goes to the highest bidder and then a USC booster stepped up with the money.

This sounded more to me like an agent getting his hooks into the family while Reggie was in high school, Reggie choosing USC independently, and then the agent speaking out because Reggie neither signed with him nor paid the money back when he went pro.

USC almost certainly knew it was swimming in dirty water by associating with Bush, but it doesn't look like they were ever shown to have been the ones that dirtied things.

So I wonder if Swofford will gather all the other ACC AD's and decide whether the conference should impose an extra year of probation on UNC for embarrassing the conference?

Nahhh, didn't think so.

u$c got what they deserved, and imo, should have been hammered even harder. It wasn't hard for the ncaa to put 2 and 2 together here.

For example, I'm sure every coaching staff knows where their players are residing. Have to. If it's picture day, and a star player hasn't arrived yet, I'm sure someone is on the phone to find out why. And in those instances where no response is received, I'm sure a lowly GA is dispatched to the players abode, whether it be a dorm, an apartment, or a luxury sea liner. u$c is no different -- they knew where he and his family were living.

The gestapo puts the onus of advising and educating the players squarely in the lap of the school (usually, the school's compliance officer and the coaches). As such, u$c was required to tell players that dealing with agents and/or taking money, gifts, etc., is an absolute no-no. So, either u$c failed to educate, or they did and Bush ignored it.

Ergo, the 2 and 2 equals 5. It had to be obvious that Reggie's mom didn't just find the money laying in a gutter. And, no, she didn't visit the bank of DS' mom to get a loan. u$c knew the family was living above its means. They were just arrogant in believing they could get away with not changing the situation, all for the sake of wins. They got what they deserved.

Now it's been found that some football players had a class with no instructor. :lol:

A summer class at UNC-Chapel Hill that lacked any instruction was enrolled exclusively with football players – and it landed on the school calendar just days before the semester started, university records show.

The records show that in the summer of 2011, 19 students enrolled in AFAM 280: Blacks in North Carolina, 18 of them players on the football team, the other a former player. They also show that academic advisers assigned to athletes helped the players enroll in the class, which is the subject of a criminal investigation.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/08/2123750/unc-football-players-flocked-to.html

Last edited:
This might not be over:

On the football field, Julius Peppers was one of the most dominating players to ever wear a UNC uniform, an athlete dubbed a “freak of nature” so skilled that he helped take the university’s men’s basketball team to the Final Four in 2000.

But in the classroom, Peppers was a marginal student with a grade point average so low he was continually at risk of losing the opportunity to play, according to an academic transcript bearing his name. What kept bailing him out were several classes in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, a relatively young academic unit led by department chair Julius Nyang’oro.

A transcript bearing Peppers’ name, found over the weekend in an odd portal on a UNC website, shows a subpar academic record: a 1.82 grade point average and 11 grades of D or F. It also suggests that the academic fraud already confirmed by the university in the African studies department goes much further back than it had previously been able to confirm.

Peppers’ transcript, and a second one that practically mirrors it, show he received grades of B or better in seven classes within the department, offerings found in later years to be academically suspect. Without those grades, it’s unlikely Peppers would have kept his GPA high enough to play sports. UNC records show Nyang’oro taught or supervised at least three of those classes.

Willis Brooks, a professor emeritus of history at UNC who once sat on its faculty athletics committee, called the transcript evidence of an academic path with the sole intent of keeping an athlete eligible to compete. But he pointed the finger at those in the university who helped make it happen.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/13/2266292/transcript-in-unc-probe-may-be.html

peppers-transcript-1.png

Back