What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Troy Calhoun fan club still alive here?

JimmyBuff

2-8 in his 7th year with about 3,000 fans in the stands for a ESPNU broadcast. Yeah he would've been a good hire for CU. :lol:

In his non-fanboy defense, this will be the first year in seven that they don't play in a bowl game. In a related story, they are on about their 4th QB this season due to injuries/eligibility issues.

Also, this game is not over. AFA was down 27-0 and are now down only 12 with the ball in the 4thQ. Damn it looks cold.

They are having a tough year, but they're a young team with lots of injuries, and they will be back in the coming seasons.

Who did the better job in there first 7 years at Air Force? Fisher DeBerry or Troy Calhoun?
Obviously Fisher did, he was a legend. He had AFA finish in the top 5 one year. But you didn't ask if Calhoun was a legend or not, you asked if CU made the right choice to hire Hawkins and Embree instead of Calhoun (Troy was not in consideration in the most recent search). Given how those seven seasons went, I would have rather had just about anyone else.

Calhoun is a good coach. They're having a bad year.

I'm not sure what a "Calhoun fanboy" is on AllBuffs. Maybe I qualify since I say he's a good football coach that's been very successful at every stop in his career and believe that he would have delivered a well-coached, fundamentally-sound football team at CU that would have at least gotten back to mediocre under him.

Calhoun is a good coach. They're having a bad year.

I'm not sure what a "Calhoun fanboy" is on AllBuffs. Maybe I qualify since I say he's a good football coach that's been very successful at every stop in his career and believe that he would have delivered a well-coached, fundamentally-sound football team at CU that would have at least gotten back to mediocre under him.

Anybody who didn't react with horror, ridicule and e-mailing of Regents any time Calhoun's name was mentioned during the coaching search that netted us Embree is considered a "Calhoun fanboy", I believe.... Expressing the idea that Calhoun might have been more qualified than either Embree or (especially) Bieniemy generally led to being considered delusional and clueless about football, as I recall....

Anybody who didn't react with horror, ridicule and e-mailing of Regents any time Calhoun's name was mentioned during the coaching search that netted us Embree is considered a "Calhoun fanboy", I believe.... Expressing the idea that Calhoun might have been more qualified than either Embree or (especially) Bieniemy generally led to being considered delusional and clueless about football, as I recall....

I forget, but did it also make me a racist that I thought he was a better candidate than Embo or EB?

I forget, but did it also make me a racist that I thought he was a better candidate than Embo or EB?

I'm not sure it officially made you a racist, but I'm sure it raised some suspicion in certain corners of the interwebz....

Anybody who didn't react with horror, ridicule and e-mailing of Regents any time Calhoun's name was mentioned during the coaching cram-down by the B4L crowd which netted us Embree is considered a "Calhoun fanboy", I believe.... Expressing the idea that Calhoun might have been more qualified than either Embree or (especially) Bieniemy generally led to being considered delusional and clueless about football, as I recall....

fify................WB&CO = indelible stain on B4L; they should have begged for Cabral instead! Even fewer Polynesian HCs, than A-A HCs.

Calhoun: a very good coach whose record this year shows the result of a ton of injuries and recruiting strictures imposed on service academies, which creates a offensive template for a certain kind of player at QB. If that player(or players) isn't/aren't capable of playing, for whatever reason, AFA is SOL.

Last edited:
I did not want Calhoun and was vocal about it. I did not want Embree, but was less vocal about it because he is a Buff. Between Embree and EB, I actually wanted EB. That probably would have been an even bigger disaster.

Irony

I did not want Calhoun and was vocal about it. I did not want Embree, but was less vocal about it because he is a Buff. Between Embree and EB, I actually wanted EB. That probably would have been an even bigger disaster.

^^^^^^^dito

My concern was Calhouns ability to recruit with the big boys. Ironic how things have turned out. I'd give my left nut for top 40 class at this point.

Depends on if EB hired good assistants. Probably wouldn't have so he would have failed too. I had no interest in Troy Calhoun whatsoever.

IMO Calhoun had all the makings of another bad Bohn hire. Trying to hire the "right guy for Boulder" instead of the right guy for the job. He kinda lucked out with Tad Boyle up the road and Butch Jones pulling the ole switcheroo.

Depends on if EB hired good assistants. Probably wouldn't have so he would have failed too. I had no interest in Troy Calhoun whatsoever.

Calhoun also a better head coach than EB by a mile.

For future reference Calhoun>every coach on the last staff.

When you get worse because Dan Hawkin's players and their leadership leave the program you know all you need to know.

Calhoun is a very good coach who is probably in the perfect situation for him.

This AFA team lost a lot of talented, experienced players over the past couple of years. Calhoun has been a bit limited in replacing players due to politics (bad conduct publicity and they tighten up admissions, good press and they loosen them.)

Huge numbers of injuries and other issues. He is on QB #4 with injuries and conduct problems. They are smaller than usual in the lines and have very little speed.

If they follow form they will get better soon though.

When was there ever a Troy Calhoun fan club? If I remember correctly, most people were terrified at the prospect of CU hiring him. I remember stating that I would be done with CU football if we did.

A bunch of you are talking bout Calhoun vs Embree, but I thought the comparison was between Calhoun and MacIntyre, right? Why would you compare Calhoun's current season to our prevous, coach? Calhoun is obviously bette than Embre was, anyway

Last edited:
Despite the bad season Calhoun is still a good coach. A very good coach for a place like Air Force, not so much for a place like CU.

He had a terrible year this year following a bad year last year. A huge amount of success at service academies depends on who and how many they let in. The air force is in the middle of shrinking it's force and it is cutting the number of cadets admitted as well.

This has impacted Calhoun a lot since some of the very marginal kids that were getting in when the AFA was winning aren't getting in now. A lot of the kids that they would send for a year at the prep school are getting turned down.

The other way that they compete is by sheer numbers. They know that they cannot compete for the guys who are clearcut BCS level athletes. Instead because they don't have scholarships they don't have the limitations in schollys. In the past they have brought in 50-70 kids in some years to play freshman football who would otherwise have gone to a D2 school or even a D3. They did this knowing that most would never grow big enough or get fast enough to contribute but that out of the bunch they might get 10 who did grow and develop into a usable player. Recently Calhoun has been getting a lot less of these types of kids in as well.

Add to this an unusually high number of players lost, most to injuries but also to other issues. Between injuries and an unreleased academy discipline issue he ended the season playing a fourth string true freshman QB who they had intended to use on the freshman team. They had injuries on an already thin and undersized OL and in the defense.

Calhoun has shown that when he has his players he can win at the academy. If saying that makes me a fan of his so be it. That doesn't mean that I think he could win at a school like CU in a whole different situation.

As MTN said, the service academies have a lot of well-known disadvantages but they also had some huge under-publicized advantages. They brought in huge freshman classes and also would stash a bunch of guys at preps for the academy. That's been severely slashed with the budget crunches.

It's going to get very hard to win at a service academy. They're all struggling.

Back