What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tucker's best hire yet? Brian Cabral is back in the program

This can be a real plus for the players. Brian Cabral can talk about football and life. Hopefully the players will take advantage of his knowledge and wisdom. This reminds me a lot of when Eddie Crowder invited Dal Ward to come to practices and remain around the program. Old Coach Ward knew everything about football at the time and his presence was an inspiration.

His players in the past loved and respected him, he has a great ability to connect with people.

This staff also has a lot of younger coaches. Cabral has been through it all, good times and bad. He is the kind of guy who can be a tremendous support to what HCMT wants to do without being any kind of threat of creating a conflict of loyalties.

Cabral because of that respect is also a guy who will be able to bridge that gap to the former players, a lot of whom were turned off to the program by Hawkins and others.

I've wanted to see CU get Cabral involved with the program in some capacity since I heard he retired from coaching. Great Buff, and even better human being. This is a great move, and its more proof that Mel Tucker is the right man for this job.

There are few men walking the planet that I’d rather be associated with than Coach Cabral. He came in as a GA in 1988 and didn’t take any crap from players like the other GAs had to put up with. His steely demeanor put just enough doubt in your mind that you didn’t want to mess with him.

He was a leader in football, but also led a Bible study where we could really talk and think. He also modeled how to be a great father as he brought his kids around the team often.

He knows his stuff. He could have been embittered by some of the slights he’s endured over the years. But he knows what he is about and follows a purpose that doesn’t have time for pettiness. I am glad he’s officially back in the Black and Gold.

There are few men walking the planet that I’d rather be associated with than Coach Cabral. He came in as a GA in 1988 and didn’t take any crap from players like the other GAs had to put up with. His steely demeanor put just enough doubt in your mind that you didn’t want to mess with him.

He was a leader in football, but also led a Bible study where we could really talk and think. He also modeled how to be a great father as he brought his kids around the team often.

He knows his stuff. He could have been embittered by some of the slights he’s endured over the years. But he knows what he is about and follows a purpose that doesn’t have time for pettiness. I am glad he’s officially back in the Black and Gold.
Coach Cabral was my favorite, and wasn't even my coach. Always earned and deserved all the respect he received. Always treated me the same as everybody else and it was awesome! Great coach, dad, husband, friend, I am so glad MT saw his value this team and University and made it official. Not many men deserve this kind of respect, Cabral does!

64982297.jpg

This can be a real plus for the players. Brian Cabral can talk about football and life. Hopefully the players will take advantage of his knowledge and wisdom. This reminds me a lot of when Eddie Crowder invited Dal Ward to come to practices and remain around the program. Old Coach Ward knew everything about football at the time and his presence was an inspiration.
Have you had a chance to meet coach Tucker yet? Did you feel it, same kind of presence. Buffs are in good hands.

I don’t recall him being run down. I recall some questioning whether the game had passed him by and his recruiting results, but I also recall those posts generally being couched with respectful comments about his history and Buffness.

I’m a bit sensitive about the treatment of Buff legends and am currently a little more so with some of the chatter surrounding Hagan lately. It can make for differences in perception.

I like this move by MT. Nearly always, i'm not a fan of "back to the past" or glory days hires....and in favor of cleaning house when HC changes are made. However, i'm a big fan of what Cabral could bring to the CU program right now, today, in a position like this.

feels good to me. bravo Coach.

I’m a bit sensitive about the treatment of Buff legends and am currently a little more so with some of the chatter surrounding Hagan lately. It can make for differences in perception.
Understandable, but hopefully you can separate the appreciation people have for what made them Buff legends from the criticism some of them have received based on the position they are in now (or were in).

Glad he's back and glad he's being treated with respect by Buff fans once again.

Disagree with the notion that he wasn't respected-I will go to my grave saying he deserved the chance to lead this team into the Pac 12 over Embree or Bienemy, and I'd also say he probably would have not put us in a position where we needed a guy like Mike MacIntyre less than two years later. Football got fun again after the nonsensical Hawkins era. He wasn't the recruiter in his last few years here that he was in the mid 90's, but he's a Buff legend-and in the perfect role for him at this point in his life. He can be around without having to deal with the grind of recruiting or the season.

Understandable, but hopefully you can separate the appreciation people have for what made them Buff legends from the criticism some of them have received based on the position they are in now (or were in).

Criticism is fair, blatantly bashing is what I’m sensitive to. It happened. It happens.

Criticism is fair, blatantly bashing is what I’m sensitive to. It happened. It happens.

Unfortunately in final year or so of Hawkins a lot of fans were so turned off and disgusted that everything around the program took on a negative feel, even those who didn't deserve it.

At that time Cabral's recruiting did also fall off. Part of it was because Hawkins was choosing to go after his "two parent" kids with MWC level talent. Part of it probably had to do with Cabral's knees being so bad it was hard for him to get on and off airplanes and actually visit high schools and do all the other things involved in actively recruiting kids.

He was not a "Hawkins guy" and never really did fit in well with that staff. He is such a quality guy that he made the best of it but I imagine it was hard for him and he wasn't used to being involved with a losing team going the wrong way.

My sense is that the job he is going to be in now is perfect for him. He will be about building relationships and helping people reach their potential, the core of what he has always been about. He won't have to travel, he won't have to deal with the politics of coaching. I think he will be a great resource for the players and also for the coaching staff.

I think is also says a lot about how confident MT is that he looked to bring in somebody who is as powerful a personality as Cabral and it doesn't make him uncomfortable.

This is going to be a positive move for all involved.

I truly don’t remember reading any of that on this site. If it was, it was an extremely low number. I had heard at the end of Hawkins tenure that Cabral was having some health problems and was the reason Embree didn’t bring him along.

I truly don’t remember reading any of that on this site. If it was, it was an extremely low number. I had heard at the end of Hawkins tenure that Cabral was having some health problems and was the reason Embree didn’t bring him along.

There were some people posting negative things about Cabral, mostly that either time had passed him by or that he was a part of the Hawkins staff and needed to be gone as part of a clean sweep.

At the same time there were some strong voices calling for him to be retained and even some posters who strongly advocated for him to be made the head coach following his time as Interm.

If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong on this he at least interviewed with JE about staying but the situation for him to stay was not good.

In 2013 he ended up as Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator at Indiana State but the team didn't do well and his health got in the way of him being able to do the job he wanted to.

I took the player anecdotes and emailed them to Coach Tucker

Hi, Coach Tucker.

So happy to see Coach Cabral back in the fold! I'm a 1992 CU Grad, which makes me a die hard Buffaloes fan that attended both Orange Bowl games against Notre Dame in 1990 and 1991, and obviously our only National Championship. I personally believe myself and the other CU fans informed the Rocket his punt was called back for clipping when he was trying to celebrate in the end zone. You would believe it if you were there! What a great moment. But, I digress.

The reason for my note is the fantastic news that Coach Cabral is again associated with the program. Please don't take my word for it. Here are the words of former players.

Player 1, who was coached by Cabral personally

He knows his stuff. He could have been embittered by some of the slights he’s endured over the years. But he knows what he is about and follows a purpose that doesn’t have time for pettiness. I am glad he’s officially back in the Black and Gold.​

Player 2, who was on the team at a different time and a different position

Coach Cabral was my favorite, and wasn't even my coach. Always earned and deserved all the respect he received. Always treated me the same as everybody else and it was awesome! Great coach, dad, husband, friend, I am so glad MT saw his value this team and University and made it official. Not many men deserve this kind of respect, Cabral does!​

I'm excited by the future you are creating for CU Football, which is a feeling I can't say I have felt for a long time save for a small glimmer of hope 2 years ago that faded quickly. Coach Cabral is just one small part of that process - I fully respect that. Just letting you know making him a part of the program in any way was a fantastic decision and thank you for doing so!

Go Buffs!
Highlander
CU Alum '92
It took a few days, but I did get what appeared to be a personal response

Highlander,

Thank you for this note. We are thrilled to have Coach Cabral back on our staff! He has already been a major asset to me during my personal transition in to a head coaching role.

We appreciate your support!!! Go Buffs!​

It looks like Coach Cabral's impact is going beyond just assisting the players!

Hi, Coach Tucker.

So happy to see Coach Cabral back in the fold! I'm a 1992 CU Grad, which makes me a die hard Buffaloes fan that attended both Orange Bowl games against Notre Dame in 1990 and 1991, and obviously our only National Championship. I personally believe myself and the other CU fans informed the Rocket his punt was called back for clipping when he was trying to celebrate in the end zone. You would believe it if you were there! What a great moment. But, I digress.

The reason for my note is the fantastic news that Coach Cabral is again associated with the program. Please don't take my word for it. Here are the words of former players.

He knows his stuff. He could have been embittered by some of the slights he’s endured over the years. But he knows what he is about and follows a purpose that doesn’t have time for pettiness. I am glad he’s officially back in the Black and Gold.​
Coach Cabral was my favorite, and wasn't even my coach. Always earned and deserved all the respect he received. Always treated me the same as everybody else and it was awesome! Great coach, dad, husband, friend, I am so glad MT saw his value this team and University and made it official. Not many men deserve this kind of respect, Cabral does!​
I'm excited by the future you are creating for CU Football, which is a feeling I can't say I have felt for a long time save for a small glimmer of hope 2 years ago that faded quickly. Coach Cabral is just one small part of that process - I fully respect that. Just letting you know making him a part of the program in any way was a fantastic decision and thank you for doing so!

Go Buffs!
Highlander
CU Alum '92​

Highlander,

Thank you for this note. We are thrilled to have Coach Cabral back on our staff! He has already been a major asset to me during my personal transition in to a head coaching role.

Thank you for doing that!

Hi, Coach Tucker.

Go Buffs!
Highlander
CU Alum '92​

Highlander,

Awesomeness

Back