What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tuesday Grab Bag: Football? But it's April!

RSSBot

News Junkie
I was in the car Friday, stuck in traffic on US 36 (a ****show of epic proportions, btw), when I decided to try out some local sports talk. *You know the station. It's not a frequent occurrence that I turn to Denver's view of sports, and I should've known what I was getting into, but I was aghast at the content. *A rehash of the NFL schedule release, an early (exhaustive) look at the NFL draft, and nary a non-football thought. *In April. **sigh, throws things*

I understand that the NFL is a dominant piece of the sporting landcape, and the absence of local playoff entrants in either of the two tournaments currently being played hurts, but this continuing myopia, from a supposedly 'major' market, is criminal. *I hear a constant refrain that the NFL is a 24/7/365 league, which only makes me weep for this once proud, diverse sporting country. *It's only a topic of conversation 365 days a year because our sports media has grown tired and lazy, either unwilling or unable to stretch their legs and come up with unique segments. *We should be demanding more.

What else is there to talk about, you ask? *Why, how about baseball? *Denver even has a team in that sport, one that is currently competitive (go Rox). *Not a seamhead? *The NBA and the NHL playoffs are in full swing, and well worth your consideration. *Even without either of the Nuggets or Avalanche competing, they're full of drama and intrigue. Still wanting more? Well, the Kentucky Derby is this weekend - i.e. the only weekend a year we as a nation pretend to still care about horse racing. *Oh, btw, there's also the latest 'fight of the century,' golf is in full swing, college basketball's Hot Stove is boiling, and I heard a rumor that NASCAR and MMA are still things. If you can't find 3-4 hours of non-football content each day out of that pool, you're just not very good at your job.

'But they should be giving the people what they want,' you counter, 'and the people want to talk Broncos!' First, I don't believe that people*really*want to talk Broncos in April, I think they've just been conditioned to do so. *A pseudo Stockholm effect, if you will. *Secondly, has anyone even tried to provide an alternative, local voice in this market? *In drive time, when people are actually listening to radio? * I'm not saying you*can't*talk football -*some*discussion of the draft is warranted - but talking of nothing but the NFL for an entire show proves the shallow mind behind the wheel.

But, maybe that's the point. *In the age of the podcast and satellite radio, maybe sports talk in a market such as this is an anachronistic dog. *Feed some red meat to the morons in order to squeeze the last advertising drops out of the medium, and watch it wither and die in silence. *As someone who grew up listening to sports talk in the 'golden age,' I find that notion sad, but at least understandable. *But, in that case, don't pretend to be a 'sports' station; just bite the bullet, take the football-only mantle into the light, and end all doubt.

--

Today in the bag, I'm talking a bunch of playoffs. *First, some NBA talk, before jumping out onto the ice of the NHL. *I'll finish with women's lacrosse, because I'm a huge homer like that.

Click below for the bag...

Read more »
LNZaODNk2lY

I was in the car Friday, stuck in traffic on US 36 (a ****show of epic proportions, btw), when I decided to try out some local sports talk. *You know the station. It's not a frequent occurrence that I turn to Denver's view of sports, and I should've known what I was getting into, but I was aghast at the content. *A rehash of the NFL schedule release, an early (exhaustive) look at the NFL draft, and nary a non-football thought. *In April. **sigh, throws things*

I understand that the NFL is a dominant piece of the sporting landcape, and the absence of local playoff entrants in either of the two tournaments currently being played hurts, but this continuing myopia, from a supposedly 'major' market, is criminal. *I hear a constant refrain that the NFL is a 24/7/365 league, which only makes me weep for this once proud, diverse sporting country. *It's only a topic of conversation 365 days a year because our sports media has grown tired and lazy, either unwilling or unable to stretch their legs and come up with unique segments. *We should be demanding more.

What else is there to talk about, you ask? *Why, how about baseball? *Denver even has a team in that sport, one that is currently competitive (go Rox). *Not a seamhead? *The NBA and the NHL playoffs are in full swing, and well worth your consideration. *Even without either of the Nuggets or Avalanche competing, they're full of drama and intrigue. Still wanting more? Well, the Kentucky Derby is this weekend - i.e. the only weekend a year we as a nation pretend to still care about horse racing. *Oh, btw, there's also the latest 'fight of the century,' golf is in full swing, college basketball's Hot Stove is boiling, and I heard a rumor that NASCAR and MMA are still things. If you can't find 3-4 hours of non-football content each day out of that pool, you're just not very good at your job.

'But they should be giving the people what they want,' you counter, 'and the people want to talk Broncos!' First, I don't believe that people*really*want to talk Broncos in April, I think they've just been conditioned to do so. *A pseudo Stockholm effect, if you will. *Secondly, has anyone even tried to provide an alternative, local voice in this market? *In drive time, when people are actually listening to radio? * I'm not saying you*can't*talk football -*some*discussion of the draft is warranted - but talking of nothing but the NFL for an entire show proves the shallow mind behind the wheel.

But, maybe that's the point. *In the age of the podcast and satellite radio, maybe sports talk in a market such as this is an anachronistic dog. *Feed some red meat to the morons in order to squeeze the last advertising drops out of the medium, and watch it wither and die in silence. *As someone who grew up listening to sports talk in the 'golden age,' I find that notion sad, but at least understandable. *But, in that case, don't pretend to be a 'sports' station; just bite the bullet, take the football-only mantle into the light, and end all doubt.

--

Today in the bag, I'm talking a bunch of playoffs. *First, some NBA talk, before jumping out onto the ice of the NHL. *I'll finish with women's lacrosse, because I'm a huge homer like that.

Click below for the bag...

Read more »
LNZaODNk2lY

Originally posted by The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo
Click here to view the article.

Back