What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

tv negotiations: please, please, please be true!

When were you ever a Pac-12 contender, or better yet when do you hope to be?
tumblr_legkjl8ruS1qdlkgg.gif

Coming from a Husker fan whose team hasn't won a conference title in nearly 12 years...go figure.

If ESPN wins the NHL deal, Comcast and Fox Sports will give the Pac-12 an offer that can't be turned down. I don't think ESPN will be serious about the Pac-12.

If ESPN wins the NHL deal, Comcast and Fox Sports will give the Pac-12 an offer that can't be turned down. I don't think ESPN will be serious about the Pac-12.

One possible factor that might keep ESPN in the picture is this...

When the ACC TV package was being negotiated last year, ESPN thought they had it sewn up. They had been doing business with the ACC for several years and had worked out a deal with long-time syndicator Raycom to televise games.

Then Fox steps in with a big increase trying to get their foot back into college sports.

ESPN was pissed off, and a bidding war ensued that left ESPN the high bidder, but at a 30% markup over what they had expected to pay.

I wonder if ESPN wouldn't return the favor on Fox, with the Pac-12 being the beneficiary of the bad blood.

Wilner needs a math class:

pretty sure that comes out to $120/yr.

Now, 100 MILLION cable households would generate $120,000,000 in annual revenue.

Nope, 100 cable households. Apparently satellite is really winning that war... :lol:

don't let the door hit you in the ass, fusker.

while you are sitting there in a contaminated corn field, with a missile silo on your left and a giant pile of burning cow dung on your right, please think of us enjoying the p12.

Husker fan is the psycho ex girlfriend that refuses to take a hint. Keeps showing up at the door unannounced just wanting to be friends.

Chip Brown was spewing something about the big 12 schools making twice as much as the SEC on the radio this morning. I believe that he is only thinking about Texas, not the other schools...

Husker fan is the psycho ex girlfriend that refuses to take a hint. Keeps showing up at the door unannounced just wanting to be friends.

More like the Jahovah's Witness of the football world than psycho ex-girlfriend. Either way, the front stoop is better off without them.

Chip Brown was spewing something about the big 12 schools making twice as much as the SEC on the radio this morning. I believe that he is only thinking about Texas, not the other schools...

Apparently, the bigliltex12-2 conference just signed a deal with Fox that nets around $90mil a year. After uTerus takes 80%, aTm and the boomer split the next 10%, that leaves the little seven with about a $1.98 a year. What a windfall.

Apparently, the bigliltex12-2 conference just signed a deal with Fox that nets around $90mil a year. After uTerus takes 80%, aTm and the boomer split the next 10%, that leaves the little seven with about a $1.98 a year. What a windfall.

With the additional 65 million from ABC/ESPN through 2015 that makes 155 million a year. Factor in the 20M guarantee to UT, OU, and aTm that leaves, at best with unequal revenue sharing, 95 million between the rest. Meaning approx 13.5 million as the highest payout possible each year for the next half decade. Talk about underwhelming.

With the additional 65 million from ABC/ESPN through 2015 that makes 155 million a year. Factor in the 20M guarantee to UT, OU, and aTm that leaves, at best with unequal revenue sharing, 95 million between the rest. Meaning approx 13.5 million as the highest payout possible each year for the next half decade. Talk about underwhelming.

I don't think schools like Iowa State or Kansas State or Baylor consider a $13.5 mil payout to be "underwelming". That is almost double what they received on an annual basis from the old Big 12 television agreement. And given the fact that those schools were 48 hours away from being left without any conference at all, I am sure they are quite happy with this arrangement.

I don't think schools like Iowa State or Kansas State or Baylor consider a $13.5 mil payout to be "underwelming". That is almost double what they received on an annual basis from the old Big 12 television agreement. And given the fact that those schools were 48 hours away from being left without any conference at all, I am sure they are quite happy with this arrangement.

That is the highest possible, not what they'll actually get, I have a feeling that in certain years for the schools you mention they'll be lucky to take a couple million more than they did under the old deal, still way better than being left in the cold, but pretty sparse when compared to other conference deals.

translation: they are hookers, but they've settled on a price for their services that works for them.

translation: they'll get what they get and like it.

That is the highest possible, not what they'll actually get, I have a feeling that in certain years for the schools you mention they'll be lucky to take a couple million more than they did under the old deal, still way better than being left in the cold, but pretty sparse when compared to other conference deals.

Really?

You think the smaller schools would rather be in the WAC? Conference USA? MWC? Perhaps the Mid America Conference? Certainly the Sun Belt!?!

Hmm... $1 mil annual payout or $13.5 mil.. Hmmm..

What better deal were ISU, KSU, KU, Baylor, Tech, OSU, etc. going to get?

Really?

You think the smaller schools would rather be in the WAC? Conference USA? MWC? Perhaps the Mid America Conference? Certainly the Sun Belt!?!

Sorry I left the initials BCS out of my last sentence.

It is pretty sparse compared to the 13 million guaranteed in the ACC, or the 17+ Northwestern pulls in the Big 10, or the 17.3 Mississippi St pulled in in the SEC, and these are all old numbers bound to go up. So for the top end to Mizzou to be around 13.5m and the rest falling inline below that it isnt great. For a BCS confrence.

Here are the 2008-2009 numebrs for the big12:

. Oklahoma, $12.2 million
2. Texas, $11.8 million
3. Kansas, $11.5 million
4. Missouri, $10.4 million
5. Texas A&M, $10.2 million
6. Oklahoma State, $10.0 million
7. Colorado, $9.77 million
8. Nebraska, $9.73 million
9. Texas Tech, $9.2 million
10. Baylor, $9.1 million
11. Iowa State, $8.9 million
12. Kansas State, $8.4 million

Most of those schools wont pick up a whole hell of a lot under the new deals, well except for the Texas three who will double their take.

Really?

The moral of the story is be thankful we aren't them.

Sorry I left the initials BCS out of my last sentence.

It is pretty sparse compared to the 13 million guaranteed in the ACC, or the 17+ Northwestern pulls in the Big 10, or the 17.3 Mississippi St pulled in in the SEC, and these are all old numbers bound to go up. So for the top end to Mizzou to be around 13.5m and the rest falling inline below that it isnt great. For a BCS confrence.

Here are the 2008-2009 numebrs for the big12:

. Oklahoma, $12.2 million
2. Texas, $11.8 million
3. Kansas, $11.5 million
4. Missouri, $10.4 million
5. Texas A&M, $10.2 million
6. Oklahoma State, $10.0 million
7. Colorado, $9.77 million
8. Nebraska, $9.73 million
9. Texas Tech, $9.2 million
10. Baylor, $9.1 million
11. Iowa State, $8.9 million
12. Kansas State, $8.4 million

Most of those schools wont pick up a whole hell of a lot under the new deals, well except for the Texas three who will double their take.

And what is wrong with that?

The Big 12 contract is just about right. What interest is there in Big 12 sports outside the state of Texas? None. There are no large media markets to pull in huge television numbers except for the state of Texas. It is not a fertile television are like the Big 10 geographical area, or the SEC geographical area, or even the Pac-12 area. Ames, Iowa? Are you kidding?

And Texas and Oklahoma should get the most money - they are the only two teams worth a **** in that whole conference.

That a school like Iowa State - which has never won anything in football - gets the chance to make $13.5 mil a year, while BYU, Boise State, etc. get pretty much nothing.... ISU and its like must be counting their lucky stars.

That a school like Iowa State - which has never won anything in football - gets the chance to make $13.5 mil a year, while BYU, Boise State, etc. get pretty much nothing.... ISU and its like must be counting their lucky stars.

Quoted for the benefit of any CSU fan who might be lurking.

Back