What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

tv negotiations: please, please, please be true!

If I were Notre Dame, I'd be concerned that their network might be making other arrangements long term. Anybody remember how long the Notre Dame contract with NBC is? They might want to get into the Big Ten before they turn into the 21st century version of Fordham.

From Wikipedia:

In 1991, the initial contract was sold to NBC for $38 million for 5 years or $1.2 million a game. Notre Dame got half of the latter figure and its opponent got the other half. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Football_on_NBC#cite_note-0 In June 2008, NBC signed a contract extension, which covered from 2011 to 2015.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Football_on_NBC#cite_note-1

If Comcast gets the deal, I'm guessing it would be NBC for games that are now on ABC, Versus for the cable games that currently go to ESPN/FSN, and the PAC ten channel for the games that were ending up untelevised or on Fox College Sports. (NBC and Versus are owned by Comcast, for those who don't know).

They're going to put games on a lot more channels than that. They obviously haven't announced their plans, but if Comcast/NBCUniversal wins the contract, expect to see games on NBC, Versus, USA, possibly A&E and others as well. Any channel with a male demographic.

I would also expect them to launch additional Versus channels in the same manner that ESPN has done with ESPN2, etc.

There will be a lot more games on nationwide TV.

They're going to put games on a lot more channels than that. They obviously haven't announced their plans, but if Comcast/NBCUniversal wins the contract, expect to see games on NBC, Versus, USA, possibly A&E and others as well. Any channel with a male demographic.

I would also expect them to launch additional Versus channels in the same manner that ESPN has done with ESPN2, etc.

There will be a lot more games on nationwide TV.

A&E ..... male demographic?

Spike or bust !!!!!!!!!!

A&E ..... male demographic?

Spike or bust !!!!!!!!!!

Yup -- A&E is all true crime stuff, which equals male viewers. Spike would be a perfect fit but it's owned by Viacom (MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, TV Land, etc) and they (by they I mean Sumner Redstone) don't seem to have the resources or interest in live sports.

Yup -- A&E is all true crime stuff, which equals male viewers. Spike would be a perfect fit but it's owned by Viacom (MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, TV Land, etc) and they (by they I mean Sumner Redstone) don't seem to have the resources or interest in live sports.

My first reaction: that guy's still around? He's still in control, sort of. There is some pretty funny stuff in the personal section of his Wikipedia entry, regarding the Electric Barbarellas. Must be nice having billions, doing whatever the hell you want, and getting away with it.

Sumner Redstone also owns CBS, although he split the two companies a few years ago. He's definitely got the resources and interest in live sports, but its the SEC, boxing and the NFL that's getting the money from Sumner.

And yeah, he's a very weird guy. Still don't understand why he split Viacom and Paramount off from CBS and Showtime, but left his outdoor advertising business with CBS.

Sumner Redstone also owns CBS, although he split the two companies a few years ago. He's definitely got the resources and interest in live sports, but its the SEC, boxing and the NFL that's getting the money from Sumner.

And yeah, he's a very weird guy. Still don't understand why he split Viacom and Paramount off from CBS and Showtime, but left his outdoor advertising business with CBS.

That's a good point -- when I said resources, I meant more the cable channels that all these other companies have to display a whole lot more inventory. Feels like most conferences are going to want that going forward, and Viacom/CBS don't have the demographics for it.

With Mike Bohn doing so much with so little over the last 7 years, I wonder what it will be like for him when he actually has some real money to spend.

With Mike Bohn doing so much with so little over the last 7 years, I wonder what it will be like for him when he actually has some real money to spend.

after we dig out of the immediate hole in our budgets created by the Conference exit this should be interesting.

If these numbers are correct, we'll dig out of that hole in one year.

Well at least 2 because we have 1 year of the new Pac-12 on the old media deal, and then we also have the last year of the big-12 to recover from. Probably looking at 3-4 years being realistic for full recovery and a new round of facilities investments to start.

The current academic year 2010-11 will see us get Big 12 payouts of a fairly small amount (if any) in June of 2011.
2011-12, the first year in Pac-12, will see us only get a share of the "incremental TV revenues" (basically the Fox CCG money), but no other distribution at this time has been contracted from the Pac-12. That will get paid to us in June of 2012.
The 2012-13 school year is the one that starts the "new contract" and we would be a full participant (Utah is only 50% I think), being paid in June of 2013.
So, it will take 2 years to even see the first significant cash flow from the new deal.

Until then things are going to be super-strapped, and the only way out for the AD is to take out a loan from the school, or the conference, or really start pimping the donations from those West Coast alumni (or most likely a combination of all three).

The current academic year 2010-11 will see us get Big 12 payouts of a fairly small amount (if any) in June of 2011.
2011-12, the first year in Pac-12, will see us only get a share of the "incremental TV revenues" (basically the Fox CCG money), but no other distribution at this time has been contracted from the Pac-12. That will get paid to us in June of 2012.
The 2012-13 school year is the one that starts the "new contract" and we would be a full participant (Utah is only 50% I think), being paid in June of 2013.
So, it will take 2 years to even see the first significant cash flow from the new deal.

Until then things are going to be super-strapped, and the only way out for the AD is to take out a loan from the school, or the conference, or really start pimping the donations from those West Coast alumni (or most likely a combination of all three).

Or:

d.) sell the naming rights to Folsom.

Be careful with that kinda talk... for some reason there is people who think Bohn has done a terrible job (idots). In fact, I am going to make a poll, and I bet there will be quite a few in the anti-bohn camp, despite the fact he has done wonders for us. Remember Tharpe???? Bohn is worlds ahead of that idot. In fact Bohn has greatly overachieved imo.

Be careful with that kinda talk... for some reason there is people who think Bohn has done a terrible job (idots). In fact, I am going to make a poll, and I bet there will be quite a few in the anti-bohn camp, despite the fact he has done wonders for us. Remember Tharpe???? Bohn is worlds ahead of that idot. In fact Bohn has greatly overachieved imo.

That is why I gave Bohn a 5...especially when you compare him to Tharp.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...candal-and-pac-12-tv-football-and-basketball/

Latest on Pac-12 TV deal. The NHL is set to announce that they will stay with NBC and Comcast. ESPN is planning on extending the Big East TV contract as well.

While Wilner paints a not too rosy picture, I still think this is good for the Pac-12 because there is still room for NBC and Fox Sports is desperate for more sports programming. It seems like it's a trend that won't go away for the time being.

$200 million for hockey?!?! I'm surprised it's worth that much. How do NHL ratings compare to college football, NASCAR, or even golf? I didn't think the NHL was a very desirable product outside Canada and the Great Lakes region. Aren't they currently broadcasting games on the Outdoor network or something like that?

$200 million for hockey?!?! I'm surprised it's worth that much. How do NHL ratings compare to college football, NASCAR, or even golf? I didn't think the NHL was a very desirable product outside Canada and the Great Lakes region. Aren't they currently broadcasting games on the Outdoor network or something like that?
this pisses me off... moreso that its back on versus than anything

this pisses me off... moreso that its back on versus than anything

It's not going to be the Versus we know for very long. NBCUniversa/Comcast is planning on rebranding it and pouring money into it. It's visibility will increase exponentially over the next couple of years.

It's not going to be the Versus we know for very long. NBCUniversa/Comcast is planning on rebranding it and pouring money into it. It's visibility will increase exponentially over the next couple of years.

the camera work is garbage the announcing is terrible... the one thing they have going for them is the pregame/postgame/intermission crew is top notch

Back