What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two articles on CU recruiting this morning in the Post...

The less I hear from Hawkins, the better. His voice makes my skin crawl and my bullsh!t meter goes into hyperdrive. I need to have that thing looked at.

My thoughts exactly!

His endless BS can't drive me crazy if he isn't talking to reporters.

The less I hear from Hawkins, the better. His voice makes my skin crawl and my bullsh!t meter goes into hyperdrive. I need to have that thing looked at.

This.

After the **** he came out with after the Nebraska game, I think it was a smart decision to pull him from the spotlight and keep public appearances to a minimum. It´s not like ANYTHING he´s gonna say now is drastically change things and the risk of him pissing people off even more than he already has is far greater than him making up for anything or winning support back. I generally agree with what Paige said and the only chance Hawkins has is to put together a competitive football team that starts doing this school justice by winning games when the season starts.

win some games and these articles go away...
Uh, that's been the problem for 4 years and running. This class will hurt down the road, hopefully Hawkins will be gone by then, but somebody will suffer.
The Hawaii trip was valid, Honolulu is the #1 metro area that produces recruits per capita population.
Recruits Per 1,000

Honolulu, HI 29,366 135 4.6

Last edited:
My own opinion is that Hawkins fails at recruiting the same way he fails at other things - lack of focus. Anyone read the SI article in December on recruiting Texas for QBs. Good article and talked about how the HS coaches in Texas are very tight knit group and you have to make inroads into those coaches. Hawkins has failed to do that. With CUs recruiting budget CU has to narrow its geographical area and go deep into those areas. I don't like to bring up CSU but I like what they are doing in Florida - they decided they were going to recruit down there and it is paying off. CU needs to focus on Colorado, California, and Texas...it was that way under Crowder, Mac, RN, and Barnett. If Ambrose is a great recruiter lets get him into Texas. CU has little attraction to kids in North Carolina.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I think the lack of focus really kills CU in some areas. Just throwing out a bunch of offers is not enough. I do not mind targeting some states outside of California or Texas, but the way our coaches do it seems to be haphazard at best. A more refined focus is really needed IMO. Additionally, the staff under Hawkins has struggled in Texas because they are really late to the game most of the time. It is changing for the 2011 class, but it should not have taken so long.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I think the lack of focus really kills CU in some areas. Just throwing out a bunch of offers is not enough. I do not mind targeting some states outside of California or Texas, but the way our coaches do it seems to be haphazard at best. A more refined focus is really needed IMO. Additionally, the staff under Hawkins has struggled in Texas because they are really late to the game most of the time. It is changing for the 2011 class, but it should not have taken so long.

Yep,

California-Hawai'i should be our "pipelines" from the the west coast, Cali for obvious reason, Hawai'i because we have a long-standing presence there and they produce some good recruits.

Texas-Louisiana should be our pipelines from the south, Texas for multiple reasons (Big 12, proximity, # of recruits), and Louisiana because it is close in proximity to Texas and produces more BCS talent than LSU can absorb and we have a decent history there to build upon.

Colorado should much more developed as an in-state pipeline. (I know this year has lots of varied reasons, but it still needs to be one of the legs upon which we stand).

After that any development in Ohio or Florida or wherever should be gravy, but to ignore any of the above priorities for the latter is banking on developmental time that we just don't have.

This years' class is a depth class. It's not going to kill the program unless we get 2-3 years just like it.

To publish this article the day before LOI day, and to use the "Hawaii" induendo with no facts to support it is much worst than Lazy Journalism.

Say what you want about Hawkins, but I don't think "lazy" fits. Woody is trying to bury him the day before LOI day. Nice.

Bury him??

Hell, Hawkins is dead and buried already.

wanting to recruit Texas and effectively doing it are two different things. Relationships play a big role and our staff hasn't had those contacts in a while. And you just don't make those deep relationships in a few years. They are well connected in California, Hawaii, and now Louisiana. They are recruiting everywhere else opportunistically. Hawk and staff have some deep relationships with HS coaches where they will direct their kids this way (despite a 3-9 record). They don't have too many of those outside of California and probably few if any inside Colorado at this point.

As for CSU and their Florida focus, it remains to be seen that it's paying off. They are pulling a bunch of kids with no offers out of there, and I'd bet it will pay off down the road. Heard someone say that Urban shoots Fairchild his throwaways! They did coach together at CSU.....

Last edited:
The first a column by Woody Paige basically blasting Hawkins for a variety of things....

Woody Paige

The second was an article on Lack of Texas recruiting....

Texas Recruiting

Hawkins has handled the press situation poorly. He is now going to be a marked man,. IMO.

You would field some pretty good teams by simply closing your borders and filling in around them. You get a few from Tex, AZ and Cali and you would be set around here with the base of players instate.

wanting to recruit Texas and effectively doing it are two different things. Relationships play a big role and our staff hasn't had those contacts in a while. And you just don't make those deep relationships in a few years. They are well connected in California, Hawaii, and now Louisiana. They are recruiting everywhere else opportunistically. Hawk and staff have some deep relationships with HS coaches where they will direct their kids this way (despite a 3-9 record). They don't have too many of those outside of California and probably few if any inside Colorado at this point.

As for CSU and their Florida focus, it remains to be seen that it's paying off. They are pulling a bunch of kids with no offers out of there, and I'd bet it will pay off down the road. Heard someone say that Urban shoots Fairchild his throwaways! They did coach together at CSU.....

Which was obvious when Hawk was hired and brought as much of his staff as he could to CU. The AD knew that this was an issue when Hawk was hired. I think that they all figured that playing in the Big 12 meant "automatic" exposure to Texas recruits and they took it for granted; instead trying to build the Cali pipeline, hoping to "double-dip". It backfired, and now we are going into year 5 with having a near evaporation of recruiting pipelines from Texas.

Or are we further positioning ourselves to be a "Pac Ten" program?

Well, just in the quote you attached, I don't remember that "everyone" thought bringing Cody here was a mistake. Cody is a good kid and not that bad a player. What has been unfair is his treatment by many of the "fans." I thought his shot at Hawkins being in Hawaii was just lazy "journalism." He made no effort whatsoever to find out what Hawkins is doing there. Woody only speaks the "truths" that support his particular argument and doesn't make an effort to balance out all the facts, IMO.

That's rich. How about you balance out some facts. You and hawk love to blame the fans of cu football but when it comes down to it, HAWK IS THE ONE TO MAKE THE ATTITUDE CHANGE. Win games and the negative crap will end. STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Quit with the ho-hum attitude about losing. It's all up to hawk, win and things will change, keep losing and it will get worse and bohn will have no other choice. Just win and you'll see the negativity start to fade.

Ha...not going to kill the program? Is it still breathing? :cry:

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that one year's worth of mediocre recruiting will not substantially diminish the talent pool within the program. 3* guys make great backups and often push the starters for playing time. What would hurt a lot is having 2-3 years of classes like this. Then you're not having 3* players pushing the starters, you're having 1* and 2* players pushing the 3* starters for playing time. That's a recipe for disaster. Of course, with this staff, it's pretty much irrelevant, as they are incompetent at putting together a reasonable game plan and executing it, regardless of the level of talent on the field.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that one year's worth of mediocre recruiting will not substantially diminish the talent pool within the program. 3* guys make great backups and often push the starters for playing time. What would hurt a lot is having 2-3 years of classes like this. Then you're not having 3* players pushing the starters, you're having 1* and 2* players pushing the 3* starters for playing time. That's a recipe for disaster. Of course, with this staff, it's pretty much irrelevant, as they are incompetent at putting together a reasonable game plan and executing it, regardless of the level of talent on the field.

I agree, with the exception of a certain position. If that certain position sustains any injuries, depth will be a huge problem.

The Texas situation is ridiculous. Two prospects out of the approximately 375 Division 1 prospects from Texas is not going to cut it. I know some people think we can get by without recruiting Texas heavily, but I think it makes no sense to ignore a state where kids can actually see you play on a given weekend.

Hawk said they were going to try and recruit more in texas...., like you said, just giving offers won't cut it. He needs someone on staff to be able to get in the circle and start laying the groundwork.

Hawk said they were going to try and recruit more in texas...., like you said, just giving offers won't cut it. He needs someone on staff to be able to get in the circle and start laying the groundwork.

he did. he went to Auburn. and took a recruit with him.

Coach Denver Johnson is a Texan. When he was hired, I had assumed there might be some kind of boost in recruiting Texas.

I guess not.

Back