What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two Glaring weaknesses on this team...

listen.....

I know we are all thinking the same thing..
Tyler needs to get rid of the ball quicker....what is our O line doing pass blocking.... where is our power running game. and so on.

call me positive, call me whatever you want. there is rebuttle to every position.
TIME. GIVE IT TIME. we were all turnt up on the practices on the speeches on the tweets on whatever.
They made mistakes, they gave up big plays, coaching wise we struggled...
There is still no doubt in my mind that this team can succeed. the flashes are there. compare that to the last era all you want. but this is different and if you dont notice that your blind. there was an intensity on the field. there was just no build to that intensity.
ITS HARD TO BREAK BAD HABITS.

Not to mention, in the type of offense we want to run... its hard to stick with a running game. its hard to establish momentum. the problem was when that momentum was in our favor.. something like castor kicking it out of bounds would happen.

obviously im confused.. why not get the ball into your playmakers hands. but it all come down to your offensive line blocking in correlation to your quarterback getting the ball out in time, and just plain knowing what to do in situations.
there are going to be games were we are in these forums talking about how well we played, how well we ran and threw the ball. then there will be games like this.

there are two sides to every argument. all i ask and preach is patience. be as negative as you want. or as positive as you want. but there will be those flashes of brilliance and those flashes of turmoil. we can talk all we want.....

But our only job is to BE THERE AND SUPPORT THE TEAM..
GO BUFFS>

BEAT CAL

I blame the O-Line for most of this loss. The fourth quarter, with the game on the line, they fell apart literally. No way that hansen should get sacked three or four plays in a row. I expect some position changes and roster changes on Monday. Ryan Miller especially needs to put up or shut up. He has the talent and the skills but doesnt use them together. The team in key situations reverted to bad habits. 5 years of coach hawk teaching the wrong thing to do during games will be difficult to undo. Moniz was the difference today, without him we win hands down. There was a different type of CU team in the 3rd quarter, one with swagger, determination and an understanding of how to play this game and how to do it right. That team however was only around for one quarter. Embree needs to get them out there for all 4

also idk what it is but the refs seem to always have a grudge against CU, they made some very strange calls tonight in definite favor of the home team

Last edited:
Team isn't very talented. The coaching staff has their work cut out for them. I think they did show some fight but lack of talent is too much to overcome.

And what Hawaii is very talanted? It's not like we were playing Alabama or Oklahoma tonight. Obviously this team needs more talent but we still had more then our opponent tonight so I dont really see that as a valid excuse for losing the game.

Dannewitz was just plain awful. Adkins got pushed around. Munyer/Handler at center looked confused. Miller didn't do much. Harris got ran over a few times.

I think we may be overrating 2001 Marshall, when what we got was 2010 Cal OL Coach Steve Marshall, a guy they were happy to be rid of. That was literally worse than any performance by the OL in the Hawk era.

listen.....

I know we are all thinking the same thing..
Tyler needs to get rid of the ball quicker....what is our O line doing pass blocking.... where is our power running game. and so on.

call me positive, call me whatever you want. there is rebuttle to every position.
TIME. GIVE IT TIME. we were all turnt up on the practices on the speeches on the tweets on whatever.
They made mistakes, they gave up big plays, coaching wise we struggled...
There is still no doubt in my mind that this team can succeed. the flashes are there. compare that to the last era all you want. but this is different and if you dont notice that your blind. there was an intensity on the field. there was just no build to that intensity.
ITS HARD TO BREAK BAD HABITS.

Not to mention, in the type of offense we want to run... its hard to stick with a running game. its hard to establish momentum. the problem was when that momentum was in our favor.. something like castor kicking it out of bounds would happen.

obviously im confused.. why not get the ball into your playmakers hands. but it all come down to your offensive line blocking in correlation to your quarterback getting the ball out in time, and just plain knowing what to do in situations.
there are going to be games were we are in these forums talking about how well we played, how well we ran and threw the ball. then there will be games like this.

there are two sides to every argument. all i ask and preach is patience. be as negative as you want. or as positive as you want. but there will be those flashes of brilliance and those flashes of turmoil. we can talk all we want.....

But our only job is to BE THERE AND SUPPORT THE TEAM..
GO BUFFS>

BEAT CAL

One part of this I definitely agree with. I made the mistake of believing you could break bad-habits right away. But we have players making the same dumbass plays for 4 years. It is dumb of me to think they will change over-night. The reality that hit me tonight was that we're going to have to wait for a lot of this dead-weight to clear the system.

Hope Embree & Co can recruit well

the " this is deja vu" crap needs to stop too. we just played hawaii on the road with a new staff for his first game. get educated. this isnt some f****** game against youngstown st like those other schools (fla, mich ohio st) do as there first game.

ON TO THE NEXT ONE. GO BUFFS

Ryan Miller especially needs to put up or shut up. He has the talent and the skills but doesnt use them together.[/QUOTE]

Starting to think that Miller has size and that is it. He has failed to impress way more often than not. But I am sure he will have something to tweet about that to make you think different. Bottom line is he has a lot of experience and got bitch slapped tonight.

I really hate to go to the same ol excuses about time and hawks team and whatever. A few things; Even Mac needed time, its almost never a new coach comes into a tough situation and turns it around instantly. second Hawk took over a good team that went to a bowl the year before. Embree did not. I am confident this coaching staff can iron out the wrinkles with time. Go Buffs pack Folsom next week.

And what Hawaii is very talanted? It's not like we were playing Alabama or Oklahoma tonight. Obviously this team needs more talent but we still had more then our opponent tonight so I dont really see that as a valid excuse for losing the game.

I believe Hawaii had more talent on the field. Definitely the best player on the field.

Defense overall did a decent job, they were on the field alot. They showed some things we can work with. Gotta work on tackling obviously, especially breaking down to tackle when blitzing or in space. Sandersfield needs to be in front of a jugs gun all week, catch the damn ball man. Might not wanna hear it but that was a huge play. He scores easy and it's a tie game. Like the pressure we got with the stunts and what not. Definitely can build on some things on that side. Offense, oh my holy lord. Oline just got their ass kicked period. I realize our centers are young and inexperienced but you cannot be confused or lost at that position. No excuse for that at all, im hoping it was that and not loafing. No sense in going into what went wrong, it was pretty damn obvious. This system, you absolutely have to run the football effectively. Better find a way to do it or we are in deep ****. One more thing, that little margain of error we've talked about for this team showed up. It's actually not little it's zero.

Last edited:
We lose more than we should ever have to lose. We are one of the 20 best programs of all time... yet besides this board most people probably think what happened tonight was expected and that UH is a better team than us. Have we really fallen this far?

We lose more than we should ever have to lose. We are one of the 20 best programs of all time... yet besides this board most people probably think what happened tonight was expected and that UH is a better team than us. Have we really fallen this far?

Where did you get that number? One of the twenty best programs of all time?

Well we are like 23rd in terms of most wins in college football. I'd say that's not too far off. Somewhere in the 20s or maybe early 30s probably works.

Honestly, never heard that before. Nice stat for recruits. I thought maybe it had something to do with the National Championship. That puts the school on a surprisingly short list of programs

Well we are like 23rd in terms of most wins in college football. I'd say that's not too far off. Somewhere in the 20s or maybe early 30s probably works.

We should be 17 (maybe we've slipped to 18) on all time wins.

I believe we are mid-20s on winning percentage.

Seriously, first game with a new staff. It was still better than the Montana State game at home and Embree needs to get his players, not Hawkins' players in here.
Uhh, getting kicked in the nuts would have been better than the Montana State game. There isn't much that could have been worse, and comparing this loss to the Montana State loss is discounting just how ****** of a loss that was.

What's disappointing is that after all the talk about how it's different this year, so far, it doesn't look any different. Maybe it will get better (I realize that 1st game w/new coaches is always tough), but so far, it looks the same.

Hawk's team would not have battled to stay in this game in the third/fourth quarter. I know it sucks, but this game was close up until Tyler's horrible pick-6 sealed it up. We didn't play well and had lots of problems but I felt the energy was there to stay in the game, rarely saw that with Hawk's teams. Same result but it felt different.

Hawk's team would not have battled to stay in this game in the third/fourth quarter. I know it sucks, but this game was close up until Tyler's horrible pick-6 sealed it up. We didn't play well and had lots of problems but I felt the energy was there to stay in the game, rarely saw that with Hawk's teams. Same result but it felt different.

Not that I would ever defend Chokins, but your statement is not true. Last year we were down to the this same Hawaii team (a better one infact) 10-0 at halftime and came back and dismantled them.

That being said, I think we did establish a pretty solid power game in the third, but after an illegal shift on 3rd and 3 (or something like that), it was like the O-line gave up, allowed a sack, and the wheels came off.

We can do it. But all our problems are in our heads. I DO think they need to allow Hansen a little more latitude to move around.

Some bright spots:

Rippy - looks NFL-ready

Miller - looked great road-grading ahead of Speedy

PRich - amazing talent. best we've had on the roster in at least 15 years.

Henderson - looked good making his first start. Not going to be the liability I thought he might.

Not so bright:

O line - consistently got driven back into the QB and the ball carrier except for a short span in the 3rd quarter. It's OK to give up some ground to the outside in pass protection, but not to get driven straight back or get beat to the inside. Pathetic performance. Hansen and Stewart actually looked pretty good on the few plays that were blocked properly. Problem is, that was about 12 plays total the whole game.

D line - ZERO discipline on passing downs. I'll go ahead and throw the backers in here too, since they were coming on blitzes quite a bit early. The pass rush should NEVER, EVER, EVER get upfield of the QB. All that accomplishes is opening up nice passing lanes and running room if he decides to take off. Even our DT's ran past the QB FFS. It's alot easier to keep the opponent from scoring when you're somewhere between the ball and the goal line.

Mixed bag:

Polk - didn't look to be out of position in coverage as much as he has been the last couple years, but he's not finishing his tackles in run support. Those legs have to keep pumping when he's trying to bring down someone who outweighs him by 40 lbs. And exactly how the **** do you let the QB run right down the middle of the field for 60 yards without being touched? Sure, the DL and LBs turned him loose by not staying in their lanes on the pass rush, but still - our safeties need to be catching him 20 yards downfield on those plays instead of letting them turn into game-breakers.

Coaching - I didn't have a problem with the play calling on either side of the field. We did exactly what I thought we should. Run the ball down their throats, then go PA rollout or drop back and throw deep over the middle when they walked their safeties up. Keep Moniz on the sideline as much as possible and don't let him set his feet and pick you apart on D. Problem was part sloppy execution by the D front 7 combined with an O Line that looks like they've never been coached a single day since they set foot on campus.

Hansen - looked OK when he had a chance to actually set his feet and throw. Missed PRich on one throw he should have made, but made up for it with a couple other nice deep balls. Not a superstar, but better than his predecessor, and did an incredible job not coughing the ball up considering how many guys the OL was letting through.

Stewart - looked very nifty at times, but still just not a physical runner. Not sure how well that's going to work out in a pro-style O. Really need a guy who can lower his shoulder and still get a few yards even when there's a defender standing in the hole. And he's not much help picking up blitzes.

It seemed to me that Moniz had as much pressure on him as did Hansen. The difference was, if Moniz's first read wasn't open, the play didn't result in a sack.

Overall I saw some bright spots BUT the one thing that really kills me is Embree was stressing the importance of disipline and mental toughness. I saw niether of those last night. CU just keeps making tons of stupid mistakes. I know it might take time to beat the hawk ways outta them..... but what really concerns me is the amount of penalties in key situations and the mental breakdowns we seem to still have. The mistakes have got to go. Especially since we dont have the talent to overcome those mistakes right now. We have got to be doing everything better and cleaner than the other guys if we want to win games right now and it concerns the hell outta me that its not happening. But maybe I am being overly critical since it was the first game, new system, new coaches on the road but I wanted to see something better last night

Overall I saw some bright spots BUT the one thing that really kills me is Embree was stressing the importance of disipline and mental toughness. I saw niether of those last night. CU just keeps making tons of stupid mistakes. I know it might take time to beat the hawk ways outta them..... but what really concerns me is the amount of penalties in key situations and the mental breakdowns we seem to still have. The mistakes have got to go. Especially since we dont have the talent to overcome those mistakes right now. We have got to be doing everything better and cleaner than the other guys if we want to win games right now and it concerns the hell outta me that its not happening. But maybe I am being overly critical since it was the first game, new system, new coaches on the road but I wanted to see something better last night

Some of those mistakes might have been happening due to trying to get a first step on the D...becasue of the talent gap. Which isnt likely to get much better...

Back