What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two options, only one worth rooting for IMO...

Give the man a chance. He didn't lose to Sac St or Montana St. He was pissed at how his team was playing. It was an emotion I hadn't seen. He expects more. Lots of disappointment but let the next 4 weeks pan out before we **** on each other or our team. Go Buffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give the man a chance. He didn't lose to Sac St or Montana St. He was pissed at how his team was playing. It was an emotion I hadn't seen. He expects more. Lots of disappointment but let the next 4 weeks pan out before we **** on each other or our team. Go Buffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concerning. "No peaks no valleys" is the way to go :lol:

Concerning. "No peaks no valleys" is the way to go :lol:

We were so damaged by Hawkins. Hawk didn't say anything different than most coaches say (except when he had just finished a new book and got weird with "be the bow" type stuff). In fact, almost everything out of his mouth was a coach-ism. But he delivered these press conference platitudes with such smug "I'm onto some deep **** here" conviction -- while being a complete fraud -- that since then Embree and now MacIntyre get blasted when they say something similar to things Hawk said. Every coach says that stuff, people.

Hell, it's like that scene from Bull Durham with the passing on of canned responses to interview questions to get the young pitcher ready to go to the Show. You'll hear Saban and everyone else talking about "one game at a time" and "not getting too high or too low".

One thing I like about MacIntyre is that he does try to give more detailed interview answers and not just parrot a bunch of coach speak. When he uses it, he realizes it and often gives the press a bit of an apology for it before expounding on the question.

Anyway, not necessarily directed at you CVille, but I think it's incredibly unfair when I see someone say MacIntyre=Hawkins because something said was similar to something Hawkins had said.

We were so damaged by Hawkins. Hawk didn't say anything different than most coaches say (except when he had just finished a new book and got weird with "be the bow" type stuff). In fact, almost everything out of his mouth was a coach-ism. But he delivered these press conference platitudes with such smug "I'm onto some deep **** here" conviction -- while being a complete fraud -- that since then Embree and now MacIntyre say something similar to things Hawk said. Every coach says that stuff, people.

Hell, it's like that scene from Bull Durham with the passing on of canned responses to interview questions to get the young pitcher ready to go to the Show. You'll hear Saban and everyone else talking about "one game at a time" and "not getting too high or too low".

One thing I like about MacIntyre is that he does try to give more detailed interview answers and not just parrot a bunch of coach speak. When he uses it, he realizes it and often gives the press a bit of an apology for it before expounding on the question.

Anyway, not necessarily directed at you CVille, but I think it's incredibly unfair when I see someone say MacIntyre=Hawkins because something said was similar to something Hawkins had said.

Truth is that Mike Mac actually does share more in common with Hawkins than any other recent CU head coach.
- complete outsider to the program
- ties to successful WAC/MWC program
- Son of a coach
- More Boy Scout than bad ass
- Son recruited to play for the program
- primarily hires assistants from within the program they left
- Boulder fitness culture gets 'em both. One threatens to run a marathon in the off season. The other loses a bunch of weight.
- Power of positive thinking underlies public commentary
- Neither can recruit lights out in So Cal nor Texas

Sure there is a huge list of differences. But the two are more alike than just coach speak.

Okay genius, it's easy to bitch, lots of here do it and with where this program has been for the last decade there is reason but that's the easy part.

You give us the plan. Fire M2, then what?

You tell us what coach is willing to come to CU who is going to get blue chip recruits who are also not major character risk and will be around in 3 years to come here. You tell us which coach is going come in here and turn this into a 7-9 win team in 2 years.

I'm not happy about what happened Friday night, in fact I'm pissed. That said I also have been a fan of this program since the Eddie Crowder days. I know the depths that this program has reached and I do believe that, slowly, we are crawling out of those depths but we are still in a deep, dark, ugly place. A fresh coat of paint isn't going to make things instantly better around here, there is work to do just to get ready for the work we need to do.

We lost a game we shouldn't have lost and looked ugly doing it. It was further proof of how far we have fallen. A blind man can see that aren't close to where we want to be. At the same time name the college coach who hasn't lost one that his schools fans thought he should have won.

This was one, ugly, game that nobody is happy with but that's what you get with a program in an ugly place.

I'm not saying in any way that M2 is the answer or guaranteeing that he is the one to lead us out of the mess we are in. All I am asking is before you jump of the cliff and start talking about firing people be ready to give a better answer.

If money were not an object (yes, I did just go there) then Les Miles comes to mind.

And I doubt he'd get 7-9 wins in two years.

We were so damaged by Hawkins. Hawk didn't say anything different than most coaches say (except when he had just finished a new book and got weird with "be the bow" type stuff). In fact, almost everything out of his mouth was a coach-ism. But he delivered these press conference platitudes with such smug "I'm onto some deep **** here" conviction -- while being a complete fraud -- that since then Embree and now MacIntyre get blasted when they say something similar to things Hawk said. Every coach says that stuff, people.

Just so we're clear, about 90 percent of my post game remarks have been made joking around. My own attempt at dark humor. If MacIntyre has said something similar to "no peaks no valleys", I am oblivious to it. And it's not like the opposite strategy guarantees anything better….I remember Embree stomping around cursing and throwing things while we trailed Fresno by 48 early in the 2nd quarter.

Truth is that Mike Mac actually does share more in common with Hawkins than any other recent CU head coach.
- Son of a coach
- Boulder fitness culture gets 'em both. One threatens to run a marathon in the off season. The other loses a bunch of weight.

Sure there is a huge list of differences. But the two are more alike than just coach speak.

I'll pile on...
Recruits "under-the-radar" guys with no serious P5 level offers (and in some cases NO offers)
Recruits at a WAC level

Even if we matched salary and offered Les an extra million or two over what he's getting I doubt he'd come, and I know he loves Boulder.

He's got it set now. In addition to his salary he has endorsement opportunities that he would never get here in Bronco country, doesn't have to worry about support for just about anything he wants to do in the football program, and is already in a situation where he can win a bunch of games every year and have a legitimate shot at the NC.

And no Saban isn't coming, nor is Urban or any of the other big name guys. I can't think of a single coach in the B1G, SEC, B12, or even ACC who has been winning that would leave their job for CU, even for a raise in salary. Until we can prove that we are serious about football again it isn't happening.

The facilities upgrades are a start but they don't put us ahead, they are more of catch-up moves.

There are no miracle workers out there waiting to save us from ourselves. You can argue that there may have been better choices than M2 but I haven't heard any recently.

Considering the situation he took over I think it is fair to say that he has made some progress. He has also had some areas where he could/should have done better and hopefully he takes steps after this season to address some weaknesses in his staff but overall I don't think he is far from where we should have expected when Embree was fired a couple years ago.

- Son of a coach

Dan's dad was a coach? I don't think I knew that.

The thing with MacIntyre is I don't think of him a a WAC/MWC guy. He was an NFL and BCS assistant who then took a WAC program from life support to a Top 25 rank in 3 years. That's the extent of his lower D1 experience since the late 90s.

He was a player at Vanderbilt and GA Tech then went from graduate assistant at Georgia to jumping straight to defensive coordinator at lower D1 (UC Davis, UT Martin & Temple) before spending 4 years at Ole Miss, 5 years in the NFL and then 2 years as Duke's DC. The next 3 years as the SJSU hardly makes him a WAC/MWC guy in my mind. He's much more an ACC/SEC/NFL guy.

On the other hand, you look at Hawkins and it was playing for a community college and UC Davis, coaching at UC-D, high school, juco and then HC at D2 Willamette before getting a job at Boise State that went from 3 years as an assistant to getting the HC gig when Koetter left.

I do get the similarities that people call out. But where it was talk from Hawkins, it is substance from MacIntyre. He's actually lived it.

HCMM needs to stay but he will need to make some difficult decisions to turn this team around. Our defense is young but we have some unique weapons. I would love to see players like Norgard and Daigh be utilized more often. We were worried about depth on the OL and then we received an early Christmas present of eligible transfers. Well they never saw the field and please don't tell me that they would have done worse than the OL that we had out there. We need a Big End Zone Offensive Line. Put in all of the big boys and push. It worked for CSU. You don't need fancy footwork. Points on the scoreboard change momentum. We can yell about defense but we couldn't get anything done on offense the entire 2nd half. We have some old stubborn egotistical coaches that may be great teachers but maybe not the most innovative guys for this level of play. Coach Mac needs to do what it takes to get CU back on track and it may be saying goodbye to close friends or at least re-evaluating what those coaches are doing and who they have on the field.

HCMM needs to stay but he will need to make some difficult decisions to turn this team around. Our defense is young but we have some unique weapons. I would love to see players like Norgard and Daigh be utilized more often. We were worried about depth on the OL and then we received an early Christmas present of eligible transfers. Well they never saw the field and please don't tell me that they would have done worse than the OL that we had out there. We need a Big End Zone Offensive Line. Put in all of the big boys and push. It worked for CSU. You don't need fancy footwork. Points on the scoreboard change momentum. We can yell about defense but we couldn't get anything done on offense the entire 2nd half. We have some old stubborn egotistical coaches that may be great teachers but maybe not the most innovative guys for this level of play. Coach Mac needs to do what it takes to get CU back on track and it may be saying goodbye to close friends or at least re-evaluating what those coaches are doing and who they have on the field.

I agree with you in terms of some coaching changes and we do have "some" young talent on defense that hopefully will give us a solid base in future years to build on.

On the other hand we need to see more an better talent brought in. As a reversal from normal we need to see some of the young guys starting now being back-ups in the future.

Also there is a reason that Daigh and Norgaard aren't playing much. Both are Buffs and I support them completely but Daigh simply doesn't have the speed and quickness to be an effective linebacker in a PAC 12 level defense. Norgaard is a great hustle guy but again doesn't have the speed to be a LB and doesn't have the size to hold up on the DL.

Due to our depth issues and lack of viable alternatives we need each to contribute some as back-ups but when they are in the game they can be looked at as vulnerablilties by opposing offenses.

As I recall Sparkles was on the verge of being canned and had lost the "fan base" last year. He seemed to turn it around pretty well. I know, apples and oranges, but the notion of HCMM getting canned or in any way on a hot seat after this year or next, is preposterous. He inherited what could be the worst team in D-1, as much as I hate to admit it.

Losing a class to a coaching change does not amount to a material loss when you are in the bottom of the P5 per all objective rating systems.

Look! Neg Nancy is back with his panties all binded up. **** this place is amazing. Give NewMac a chance to get this thing going the right way.

Back