What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two-week layoff

We're going to show up ready to play in Corvallis, IMO. Sure, there will be some rust, but HCMM will have this team chomping at the bit. Get healthy, plan thoroughly, and let's get this done.

I think the practice fields, the area where the IPF was, and the surrounding area is TOAST! If not toast, impacted in a big way. We will never build down there again anything, and the City may not allow it, frankly. 500 year storm or not. I'm basing that on other's accounting of the situation that live nearby.

Otherwise, I like having time to re-address everything from camp with 2 weeks of film. The team "gets it" even more than they did in August. I don't believe there's a doubter left on the roster. Go Buffs!

I think the practice fields, the area where the IPF was, and the surrounding area is TOAST! If not toast, impacted in a big way. We will never build down there again anything, and the City may not allow it, frankly. 500 year storm or not. I'm basing that on other's accounting of the situation that live nearby.

Otherwise, I like having time to re-address everything from camp with 2 weeks of film. The team "gets it" even more than they did in August. I don't believe there's a doubter left on the roster. Go Buffs!

Perhaps that means the CU AD can throw Bohn's facility plans into the fire and start from scratch.

Under what authority would the city not "allow" it? CU doesn't need the city's permission to build on University property...

queue sackman

queue sackman

Thanks.

Again, the city can't do anything a out where CU builds. They have no say in the matter whatsoever. CU could build a scale model of the Taj Mahal directly on the banks of Boulder Creek and the City of Boulder wouldn't be able to stop it. Stuff gets built in flood planes all the time. It's not that big of a deal. If they want flood insurance, insurance companies use historical models to predict the likelihood and severity of a flood. This flood is the first flood of this size and magnitude in Boulder in something like 100 years.
In short (too late, I know) this flood should have no impact on what gets built and where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks.

Again, the city can't do anything a out where CU builds. They have no say in the matter whatsoever. CU could build a scale model of the Taj Mahal directly on the banks of Boulder Creek and the City of Boulder wouldn't be able to stop it. Stuff gets built in flood planes all the time. It's not that big of a deal. If they want flood insurance, insurance companies use historical models to predict the likelihood and severity of a flood. This flood is the first flood of this size and magnitude in Boulder in something like 100 years.
In short (too late, I know) this flood should have no impact on what gets built and where.

Especially seeing as how this is a rare event that hasn't happened since 1894 so one even every ~100 years (and ~500 years like in Longmont) shouldn't deter CU from building there.

CU certainly could build the Taj Mahal on its property by the creek. It doesn't mean that the City of Boulder will let CU tie it into water, sewer, electricity etc. See south campus.

Thanks.

There are also a lot of steps that can be taken to mitigate the flood risk in new construction. Raise the level of th ground by filling in, provide through drainage and/or deflect water around the building, etc.

Might even be a strong argument to move the family housing out of the flood plain and replace it with something that is more flood ready and presents a much lower hazard to life in the event of a flood.

Unless CU tried to put the Taj Mahal there, why would the city care enough to try and stop them? An IPF may be a cause for fighting between CU and the city for many reasons but, "it might get destroyed in a flood" isn't one of them. The city wouldn't be on the hook to insure or repair the facility.

The university should factor in that they are probably going to have significant damage to the facility at some point if they build it by the creek. It should be part of their calculus but not a determining factor. As sacky has pointed out, insurance companies factor this kind of stuff in all the time.

CU certainly could build the Taj Mahal on its property by the creek. It doesn't mean that the City of Boulder will let CU tie it into water, sewer, electricity etc. See south campus.
yea, but unfortunately for the City it is already hooked up down there.

CU is part of the Boulder community and can't completely operate in a vacuum. Actually practice fields and a well designed IPF(Berms, first level parking garage, etc) would be a better fit for a flood plain than family housing.

Back