What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two words... JIM TRESSEL

Tressel would bring to us - what? Great knowledge of state of Ohio high schools? The ability to cheat and easily be caught? USC's donors are singing like a choir now - would Tressel's reputation bring us a "We can do that too!" badge? And this would be - uh - good?!! Look at Tressel's track-record in CU's top recruiting area - Calif.

It's zero.

THIS is what you'd want done for CU Football?

National reputation, national buzz, championship pedigree. Yeah. Pretty much a zero.

You guys are out of your mind Tressel and Saban can't turn a program like this around. We need Harbaugh

I think we should get Nick Saban, with Urban Meyer as the OC and Rex Ryan as the DC. They might be worthy to be the coaches of CU... Where do these delusions of grandeur come from?

People are just upset. I would be fine with getting an up an coming young coordinator.

Its a message board. Let people vent.

Can CU's medical / science departments find a way to re-animate Bear Bryant? Surely Coach Zombie could lead this CU team back from obscurity!

I played against Tressell coached teams several times. You always saw a few things... they played hard. They played with fundamentals and discipline. They didn't beat themselves. Special teams were sound. They ran the ball. You earned whatever you got against their defense. They are always at the top of the standings.

I won't sugarcoat that Tressell broke the rules but will say is, I firmly believe that he simply cares too much for his kids and got stuck in a bad situation between ruining a bunch of kids careers and big time college football. The guy has been straight as an arrow up until that point in his career.

Compile a list of the best coaches out there but what this program needs is a steady figure head who has turned around programs before. I just don't think coordinators or non-bcs head coaches are going to provide that for us. The fan-base is restless as hell. Tressell would be a killer hire for this program today and long term.

I played against Tressell coached teams several times. You always saw a few things... they played hard. They played with fundamentals and discipline. They didn't beat themselves. Special teams were sound. They ran the ball. You earned whatever you got against their defense. They are always at the top of the standings.

I won't sugarcoat that Tressell broke the rules but will say is, I firmly believe that he simply cares too much for his kids and got stuck in a bad situation between ruining a bunch of kids careers and big time college football. The guy has been straight as an arrow up until that point in his career.

Compile a list of the best coaches out there but what this program needs is a steady figure head who has turned around programs before. I just don't think coordinators or non-bcs head coaches are going to provide that for us. The fan-base is restless as hell. Tressell would be a killer hire for this program today and long term.

Actually he was dirty at Youngstown State too.

Actually he was dirty at Youngstown State too.

Do tell.

Not many people will recognize the name Ray Isaac, as he isn't exactly a household name. Ray Isaac was Tressel's star quarterback at Youngstown State.
Ray Isaac was given approximately $10,000 in cash and also given cars to drive during his tenure at Youngstown.
Fellow players at Youngstown knew of the cars and the money that Isaac was receiving, including star running back Shawn Patton.
Patton admitted that there was no way that Tressel couldn't have known about the cars that Isaac was driving around town or of the cash that Isaac was receiving.
The NCAA investigation found that Tressel had no knowledge of Isaac's wrongdoings and was never punished. However, when your star player is driving around in different cars all the time, it is pretty hard to believe that he did not notice.

Do tell.

Not many people will recognize the name Ray Isaac, as he isn't exactly a household name. Ray Isaac was Tressel's star quarterback at Youngstown State.
Ray Isaac was given approximately $10,000 in cash and also given cars to drive during his tenure at Youngstown.
Fellow players at Youngstown knew of the cars and the money that Isaac was receiving, including star running back Shawn Patton.
Patton admitted that there was no way that Tressel couldn't have known about the cars that Isaac was driving around town or of the cash that Isaac was receiving.
The NCAA investigation found that Tressel had no knowledge of Isaac's wrongdoings and was never punished. However, when your star player is driving around in different cars all the time, it is pretty hard to believe that he did not notice.

Let's be real here. The pattern is pretty clear with Tressel.

Agreed. JT may appear to be innocent on the face, but he's been on the edge everywhere he's been. I don't even know if he'll get back into coaching. He's an administrator right now at Akron and may just take his dough from tOSU and retire from coaching.

If we part ways with Embree and his staff, we'll need to hit a home run. It's going to take serious cash, someone with cache, and real patience. Do we have the fortitude to offer all three? Color me doubtful.

It will take a boat load of cash and even then I think CU will have to look outside the box to find a person willing to take the risk.

If you want Tressel why stop there, let's just resurect Jackie Sherrill and completely cheat our way to a modern death penalty (20 schollys lost per year for 5 years.) Tressell is a cheater, he breathes, he cheats, they both just come naturally to him. Petrino is a motorcycle wreck literally and a train wreck figuratively. No thanks to either.

It isn't going to be easy. We are going to have to find either a mid-major coach who is ready to step up or a coordinator at a major program ready to step in. Either way it has to be someone who can develop and motivate the kind of recruits who are going to be available to us until we can start to win some significant games again. Either way we are best to avoid the hot "young" guy and take a guy who is a little older, more experienced and willing to make this his last stop if it works like Mac was for us, Sonny was for CSU, etc.

Also no matter who we hire we have to be ready to understand that no matter how you select a coach most don't work out. It may take a couple of cycles to find the guy. That is how it works

Ross, that "national buzz" is more like 'fuzz' - I think the NCAA would be all over us for a long, long time. Tressel would bring buzz alright - every Dad trying to sell his Cam-Son will KNOW he can get a deal from Tressel and his pals.

More than two words, but take a look at Baylor's history as the Big 12 started. Here's their 'career' from 1995, starting with Chuck Reedy for 2 years, then Dirty Dave Roberts for two, then Kevin "Choked On NFL Sidelines" Steele for 4, then Guy "I Know Texas Recruiting" Morriss for 4. Baylor Admin screwed up the first two - decent enough coaches who wouldn't tolerate the meddling, and Dirty Dave thought he could get away with SWC antics.

Then hired completely incompetent coaches who had so many red-flags they looked like used-car dealership parking lots. Baylor did so many bad things AND stubbornly refused to truly look at a coach's history and true current status.

Eventually, they went down to U-Houston and bought out Art Briles. He turned out to offer some benefits by Year 2, when his star QB (RGIII) was knocked out for the reason. His team improved anyway. Year 3 was a good year, Year 4 was great. But it was clear that, in Year 1, Art Briles knew what he was doing. It was clear. Everyone at Baylor had been down for 12 seasons, and suddenly in ONE, they saw a Good Coach from those bad ones.

Last edited:

Not really. How long has the guy been head coach? He had one *snaffu* at YSU that he was absolved of. At YSU, i'll issue some fault but I think in large part he got caught in big time college athletics. At what OHIO ST, AUBURN, UF, USC, BAMA, FSU, OU institution are they not running into trouble with boosters? Coaches don't control their days and weeks 24/7. You hope to get some smart kids. There are always going to be the privileged sorts that go rogue and do their own thing, f the team.

I have first hand experience with Tressel coached teams. My opinion is what it is, and i've looked at all the evidence. He would be a guaranteed win for this program and highly doubtful there would be issues down the road. It would be the smart approach but knowing that, I expect our program and AD to run the other way.

Outside of a few hailmary's, we're hitting the small-time shops again looking for a coach on the rise. I won't be surprised with that. All this program does is things on the cheap. Troy Calhoun, come on down!

The show cause stuff until 2017 is just too risky for CU. The NCAA would love to make an example out of us.

I disagree that looking for a coach on the rise is doing things on the cheap. If we bring in a big time coordinator that's not really the same thing as hiring Embree. Did OU go cheap hiring Stoops? Florida didn't go cheap hiring Muschamp. UW didn't go cheap hiring Sarkisian.

The problem is the fan-base is fed up. We've put up with two straight non-bcs/project HC's. The only thing that will buy time is either a coach that comes in and makes a splash or one that has instant credibility. Also, we'll need a coach to come in and hold a recruiting class together and minimize transfers.

The problem is CU fans artificially constrain our HC searches. If coordinators at BCS schools are "projects" and off limits, what's the point? Get the right guy and stop placing stupid restrictions on who we can hire.

BTW, I will be glad if the new coach shakes up this recruiting class, forget holding it together.

I'd have no problem with Petrino. Then again, I'd have no problem with Nick Saban either, and he's about as likely to be hired by this administration as Petrino is.

This. How about that USU guy?

Anderson? He isn't bad. The problem is that whatever coach comes in is going to face an uphill battle. You need a coach that has built a program before, a clean program. A coach who knows how to run the day to day activities, and is also a tireless recruiter. Right now I am looking at Indiana University basketball as a model. They were devastated after Kelvin Sampson recruited thugs and committed violations. Crean came in and had three players. They were horrible for years, but they worked and worked, and Crean built a program. He recruited his ass off, and he worked the alumni. They got fantastic new facilities not only built for the basketball team but for the football team as well. Now they are a preseason number one.

Embree may not be the answer, he hasn't exactly had a lot of time nor much to work with. But I am tired of this turnstyle of coaches. Go get a hire and make sure it is the right one this time. Just off the top of my head Venerables at OU or Smart at Bama would be a homeruns. But there are quite a few good assistants and coaches out there. We don't need a scumbags like Pelini or Tressel. The coach at Navy or Houston would be nice grabs. I haven't been keeping up on candidates, but there are always coaches out there.

People are just upset. I would be fine with getting an up an coming young coordinator.

Its a message board. Let people vent.

The problem is people keeping building up unrealistic expectations, then when the team doesn't live up to them and they freak out. I look at all the babyfaced clueless faces on the team, and they are simply not winning anything this year. Yeah it sucks, but programs aren't built over night.

He wins. Don't really care about much else. 75-26 career record. He will want to restart his career, why not CU?

What's the record of the programs after he leaves? CU's not going to reform the man. Arkansas thought they were getting a different Petrino too, and look what happened.

What's the record of the programs after he leaves? CU's not going to reform the man. Arkansas thought they were getting a different Petrino too, and look what happened.

I'm not thinking of him coming in a changed man, I'm thinking of him because he wins. I'll exchange for a bad year or two for the wins he does bring while he's here.

The problem is the fan-base is fed up. We've put up with two straight non-bcs/project HC's. The only thing that will buy time is either a coach that comes in and makes a splash or one that has instant credibility. Also, we'll need a coach to come in and hold a recruiting class together and minimize transfers.

Meh. Bring in a coordinator and watch him win a couple games and the fan base will fall in line. Minimizing transfers is important to consider, though.

Also, wasn't Embree supposed to bring the fans together? Everyone seemed to be on board until we started losing 50-7 every week. We could hire Tressel and if loses 50-7 every week the fans will hop off his bus pretty quick too. Gotta win games.

Back