What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two words... JIM TRESSEL

I'm not thinking of him coming in a changed man, I'm thinking of him because he wins. I'll exchange for a bad year or two for the wins he does bring while he's here.

It's not worth arguing because he isn't coming here and the administration would never hire him. Even if those were possible, I wouldn't want him. He may win but he wins and moves on. I'd actually like to see something real built and not just sell out to a self-serving carpetbagger.

As to the OP - Hells yes. I don't care if he comes here and moves on. I don't care if he looked the other way when his players were exchanging memorabilia for tattoos. I don't give a damn about any of that. i just want CU to win some fooking football games. All this bull**** about baggage and whether the CU admin would hire him is garbage. We need a winner in the worst possible way. We need somebody who can turn this ship around. We need to show the rest of the college football world that we do, indeed, take our football seriously.

Hell yes. Hire Tressel. Hire him right now. Don't waste any time.

Strangely enough, Petrino actually has less baggage than Tressel. I'd take either one, though. Not that my opinion means squat. Knowing this administration, we'll end up going 0-12 and then keeping Embree for another year while both Petrino AND Tressel find jobs somewhere else.

Think about this for a second - there are two guys who are proven winners with a little bit of taint to them on the market right now. They won't be there for long. SOMEBODY will hire them. Why not us?

Strangely enough, Petrino actually has less baggage than Tressel. I'd take either one, though. Not that my opinion means squat. Knowing this administration, we'll end up going 0-12 and then keeping Embree for another year while both Petrino AND Tressel find jobs somewhere else.

Think about this for a second - there are two guys who are proven winners with a little bit of taint to them on the market right now. They won't be there for long. SOMEBODY will hire them. Why not us?

Petrino has be the first choice since the Ncaa spotlight isn't on him. Plus he actually can build the offense without hiring a lights out OC.

As to the OP - Hells yes. I don't care if he comes here and moves on. I don't care if he looked the other way when his players were exchanging memorabilia for tattoos. I don't give a damn about any of that. i just want CU to win some fooking football games. All this bull**** about baggage and whether the CU admin would hire him is garbage. We need a winner in the worst possible way. We need somebody who can turn this ship around. We need to show the rest of the college football world that we do, indeed, take our football seriously.

Hell yes. Hire Tressel. Hire him right now. Don't waste any time.

After winning 4 1AA national championships at Youngstown State (and making 2 more championship games), Tressel did the following at OSU:

2001Ohio State7–55–33rdL OutbackCoachAP
2002Ohio State14–08–0T–1stW NCAA Division I Football Champion[SUP]†[/SUP]11
2003Ohio State11–26–2T–2ndW Fiesta[SUP]†[/SUP]44
2004Ohio State8–44–4T–5thW Alamo1920
2005Ohio State10–27–1T–1stW Fiesta[SUP]†[/SUP]44
2006Ohio State12–18–01stL BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]22
2007Ohio State11–27–11stL BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]45
2008Ohio State10–37–1T–1stL Fiesta[SUP]†[/SUP]119
2009Ohio State11–27–11stW Rose[SUP]†[/SUP]55
2010Ohio State12–1*7–1*T–1st*W Sugar*[SUP]†[/SUP]55
Ohio State:106–2259–14

I'm not so concerned about him failing to report some players trading gear for tattoos. But there's a bigger issue. Didn't he also allow walk-ons to eat at the scholarship athlete training table without having to pay for it? :wink2:

I'd hire this guy yesterday if I possibly could.

The difficulty is really in the NCAA "Show Cause" penalty against him, which I think is well worth the risk given the current situation:

It also imposed a five-year show-cause penalty on Tressel, which means any NCAA member that wants to hire him would have to "show cause" for why it shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him, and could face severe penalties if he commits any further violations during that time. The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game. The NCAA came down particularly hard on Tressel because he'd had four chances to tell the truth and failed to do so.

If we offer Tressel (which with our joke of an administration the chances are slim) will he even accept it?

If the only way to appease the fanbase is to hire an experienced head coach, there will likely be a lot of disappointed fans.

Disclosure: I'm not a CU fan; I'm one of your Pac 12 brethren who started lurking here off and on during the heady days of realignment, registered sometime after that and popped in yesterday to see how foul the mood of your fan base was and how strong the sentiment was for Embree to be fired.

But some of you really need to lighten up.

First off if you're still thinking Tressel go back to page 4 and read my original post in this thread about a show-cause penalty. No one in the NCAA will make him a coach until 2017. There is a reason no coach with an existing show-cause penalty has ever been hired in the history of the NCAA. Not one. Ever.

Unless Pete Carroll gets fired there aren't going to be a lot of college head coaches with proven track records at the highest level who are around to be hired (again, Tressel is NOT an option and I wouldn't hold my breath for Petrino either) but you don't need to limit yourself to that. Seriously, find some lower level head coach or smart-looking BCS-level coordinator, hope he's the right guy and see what he can do. You might end up with another Hawkins or you might get another Urban Meyer (HC at Bowling Green and then Utah) or Bob Stoops (DC at Florida). Chip Kelly was the offensive coordinator at freaking New Hampshire two years before he took over at Oregon; good guys are out there to be found, just look around and hope you get lucky. Dismissing anyone because they're a whatever-their-job-is-right-now is silly.

IF Tressel is a legit option, now is the time. And...our AD has no balls. As much as I love Embo and EB, they would've been fired at the half if I were AD. We are Iowa State, we are Kansas, we are Indiana, and we are Minnesota.

Here's who I want: 3 BCS conference championships over 6 seasons, two 11 win seasons, 6 seasons as head coach in NFL, 2 playoff appearances.

Give me Chuck Fairbanks.

I want an offensive coordinator steeped in college football that is using modern concepts to establish both a downhill run game along with a good passing game. No more than a cup of tea in the NFL for the cred purposes. A guy who can recruit. Who has been around good head coaches. Who has a good coaching tree. Would also accept a Dcoord. the Texas DC interests me, but don't know enough about him.

My top choice would be Petrino, he built up Louisville, he can make the team respectable in year 1. He didn't get fired for NCAA violations. To all those that say he is a pipe dream then piss off, because this is the splash CU needs, even if the admin would or wouldn't do it, we need to show what we want.

My second choice would be Gus Malzahn, I like his stop at Arkansas State to get some HC experience, I just think he will stay in the south It would also be a very rough go in the beginning because I don't think we have the players for his system.

I want an offensive coordinator steeped in college football that is using modern concepts to establish both a downhill run game along with a good passing game. No more than a cup of tea in the NFL for the cred purposes. A guy who can recruit. Who has been around good head coaches. Who has a good coaching tree. Would also accept a Dcoord. the Texas DC interests me, but don't know enough about him.

Diaz might hang around for a shot at the UT job. Mack ain't going to be around forever.

Charlie Strong may see the writing on the wall at Louisville... But not sure he's the right guy for CU/west coast schools. He is probably in line for an SEC school.

Charlie Strong may see the writing on the wall at Louisville... But not sure he's the right guy for CU/west coast schools. He is probably in line for an SEC school.

The guy in the office next to me is a Razorback insider. Rumors are building that Strong is at the top of Arky's borad. They love them some former Louisville coaches.

The guy in the office next to me is a Razorback insider. Rumors are building that Strong is at the top of Arky's borad. They love them some former Louisville coaches.

Arkansas needs to be calling Alabama's defensive coordinator and offering him $10 million if he will take it.

Diaz might hang around for a shot at the UT job. Mack ain't going to be around forever.
Will Muschamp would beg to differ with you. Then again, Will Muschamp may not be around Florida much longer...he would be a home run DC hire!

Here´s a guy who intrigues me and who I think could work at the college level: Broncos OC Mike McCoy

He has worked with Mariucci, Seifert, McDaniels and John Fox, is relatively young at 40 and gained a ton of respect for the way he changed the offense to suit Tebow´s strengths last season, finalist for the HC jobs in Oakland and Miami. Has extensive experience working with QBs and has also worked as a WR coach. Is now in his fourth season as an OC.

Biggest knock - obviously - is his relative inexperience, especially at the college level, and the fact we just pooped all over ourselves by doing the NFL thing.

Here´s a guy who intrigues me and who I think could work at the college level: Broncos OC Mike McCoy

He has worked with Mariucci, Seifert, McDaniels and John Fox, is relatively young at 40 and gained a ton of respect for the way he changed the offense to suit Tebow´s strengths last season, finalist for the HC jobs in Oakland and Miami. Has extensive experience working with QBs and has also worked as a WR coach. Is now in his fourth season as an OC.

Biggest knock - obviously - is his relative inexperience, especially at the college level, and the fact we just pooped all over ourselves by doing the NFL thing.

Unfortunately his only college experience, ever, is his playing days back at Utah.

But - I should say - that is not unlike former CU almost-head-coach Gary Kubiak.

I said this last time we hired a HC and I'll say it again. I do NOT like hires from the NFL ranks. Give me a guy that knows the college game and knows how to work with and coach college-aged student athletes.

Disclaimer - no matter what, the HC should have been in a previous position of power (former HC, OC, or DC)

Last edited:
Unfortunately his only college experience, ever, is his playing days back at Utah.

But - I should say - that is not unlike former CU almost-head-coach Gary Kubiak.

That´s exactly the guy I had in mind also when I started looking at McCoy´s a little more closely.

Kubiak had just completed his fourth season as a NFL OC when he was about to take the CU job in 1999. His previous experience were 2 years as RB coach at his alma mater Texas A&M and a year as QB coach for the 1994 49ers.

McCoy began his coaching career in 2000 and had been a QB coach for 5 years before being promoted to OC when he went to Denver.

I said this last time we hired a HC and I'll say it again. I do NOT like hires from the NFL ranks. Give me a guy that knows the college game and knows how to work with and coach college-aged student athletes.

That´s a big concern and a concern I acknowledge, especially after we crapped all over ourselves with this NFL coaching staff.

Back