What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA to seek Permission to speak to Boyle Tomorrow

Looking at the UCLA board. Thread titles include: "My Campaign Against Smart", "Smart will be overwhelmed in Westwood", "Pastner is garbage".

Best of luck to whoever takes that job.

Big difference between UCLA and KSU, Nebraska and A&M. I'd be more concerned if I thought Boyle was even in their top-5 choices right now.

I like Tad but what UCLA fan would be excited about hiring a guy who has yet to make it to the 2nd weekend in the NCAA? And if the UCLA fans are against Howland's "style" of play, I'm not sure Tad's is that much of a difference. Not a fit for UCLA.

pay up so i can pm you and prove im a buff? i dont think it needs to go there. i guess i still get a little amped when someone calls me a twat and a liar and they dont know me. thats what i get for even being on a m board.

I was told by an insider that Tad as a contract clause to leave for either UCLA or KU.

Anyone know anything to the contrary?

I was told by an insider that Tad as a contract clause to leave for either UCLA or KU.

His contract is public information. Because it hasn't been reported there is no reason to believe this is true. Second, why would CU write this clause into his contract?

Why would it be specific to any school? Buyout would be $750,000, I believe regardless, unless it's changed recently.

Looking at the UCLA board. Thread titles include: "My Campaign Against Smart", "Smart will be overwhelmed in Westwood", "Pastner is garbage".

Best of luck to whoever takes that job.

That fanbase would be pissed if they hired Coach K.

I doubt Boyle leaves for a conference mate. UCLA is a great bball school, but the expectations are unrealistic today. No one will be able to replicate Wooden.

They aren't a blue blood anymore IMO. They are right below that. They have a great history, but they can't even sell out their updated Pauley Pavillion. Blue bloods sell out every game, even if the team is mediocre.

Also, Boyle isn't even that high profile of a name for a top 20 program like UCLA. He has only won ONE NCAA tourney game, which is great for our program but not for UCLA.

There are probably 7-10 names UCLA will pursue before they try for Boyle, and I doubt Boyle would be interested unless they offer him something crazy like $3.5MM/year.

I would be worried if Self left Kansas, but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Firing a guy with 3 Final Fours in a year he won his conference regular season title is a bit of an eye-opener. These coaches all have egos, but it's a bit drastic (i know there were inner issues). UCLA had 25 wins. The tradition, recruiting grounds and renovated Pauley are a plus. The tradition also means ridiculously high expectations despite having one national title (1995) in the last 38 years.. It's ****ing hard to win a national championship, wherever you are. UCLA fan support is pathetic, too, certainly nothing like you see with other bluebloods.

Howland is getting fired because he lost control of his team. He's getting fired because he recruited a one and done guy, couldn't get him to play consistently and couldn't control the kid's "all eyes on me" attitude. Shabazz poisoned the entire team and by the end the dysfunction was pretty out of control.

That said, the school's "what have you done for me lately" mentality is going to really limit the number of coaches that are willing to go there. I really doubt Tad would go there, as the whole UCLA scene doesn't seem to be his style. Like most others, I see them going after Shaka Smart. If they can't get Shaka, they'll go after Brad Stevens. I could see them dialing Dana Altman's number too, as UCLA would be higher profile than Oregon (who's basketball team doesn't get the love the football team does).

Howland is getting fired because he lost control of his team. He's getting fired because he recruited a one and done guy, couldn't get him to play consistently and couldn't control the kid's "all eyes on me" attitude. Shabazz poisoned the entire team and by the end the dysfunction was pretty out of control.

That said, the school's "what have you done for me lately" mentality is going to really limit the number of coaches that are willing to go there. I really doubt Tad would go there, as the whole UCLA scene doesn't seem to be his style. Like most others, I see them going after Shaka Smart. If they can't get Shaka, they'll go after Brad Stevens. I could see them dialing Dana Altman's number too, as UCLA would be higher profile than Oregon (who's basketball team doesn't get the love the football team does).

Agreed on Altman.

They'll dial Mark Few, and while highly unlikely, if there was ever a time for him to jump it's in this situation after the loss to Wichita State.

Two points stand out to me it this thread.

1) Tad's resume is not good enough for UCLA's lofty expectations.
2) CU fans believe Tad has done enough already to demonstrate he has potential to be successful in Westwood.

yep

that is exactly what i thought. i sat next to a ucla booster the whole time in vegas and that was what they were saying. like he lost his identity. shabazz seems to be a punk and larry drew jr. seems to be close behind. he plays like he's worried about how he looks. i swear he could get to the rim anytime he wants but he doesn't. major talent zero heart. almost like he would have been better off benching their ass than having guys that dont care out there. that minnesota performance was despicable.

What do you guys think about the Wichita St. coach? Is he on this level yet?

Just want to throw this out there. If they theoretically hired Tad, I think I would be okay with hiring Howland to replace him.

What do you guys think about the Wichita St. coach? Is he on this level yet?

Honestly it's highly unlikely unless they're on about their 10th choice. Of course, they're still in action, if he took the Shockers to the Final Four, it would make him even more appealing. He's a South Carolinian and went to college in Virginia. Strikes me as a guy who would take a power conference job in Big XII or SEC

Its gonna be a high profile guy at UCLA....someone like Calipari was for Kentucky

Rick Pitino perhaps....just throwing it out there

Its gonna be a high profile guy at UCLA....someone like Calipari was for Kentucky

Rick Pitino perhaps....just throwing it out there
I'm not sure why Pitino would leave Louisville, he has everything you could want there. He coached in Hawaii, but when was the last time he coached out west?

Just want to throw this out there. If they theoretically hired Tad, I think I would be okay with hiring Howland to replace him.

Wouldn't Howland cost even more then Boyle is likely to get? If it's about money, and given a choice I'd rather they just kept Boyle.

I like Tad but what UCLA fan would be excited about hiring a guy who has yet to make it to the 2nd weekend in the NCAA? And if the UCLA fans are against Howland's "style" of play, I'm not sure Tad's is that much of a difference. Not a fit for UCLA.
Agree, Jimmy. I almost always agree with you...on sports. You're a real dip**** otherwise.

So far there does not appear to be any indication, besides the tweet, that UCLA will target Boyle. CBS is suggesting Mike Brown. Instantly I think failure, but who knows.

So far there does not appear to be any indication, besides the tweet, that UCLA will target Boyle. CBS is suggesting Mike Brown. Instantly I think failure, but who knows.

That's a very interesting name. I think he belongs on the college level. Players will love him. And he's a "name" in Los Angeles.

Sounds more like a USC move, since they love hiring pro coaches.

I'm not sure why Pitino would leave Louisville, he has everything you could want there. He coached in Hawaii, but when was the last time he coached out west?

Plenty of hot waitresses out in LA where he can work on his 15 second "issues"

Back