What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Uhoh... Cal calls press conference to discuss athletic future

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
slmandel

Cal has called a press conference for 2:30 PST to address its "athletic future." Committee last wk recommended major cuts (5-7 teams).

Black tuesday? This is what happens when you get out of control.

Sad to hear...the PAC 10 has been one of the bastions of maintaining support in the US for the Olympic sports.

I think a lot of it has to do with the state of California's budget issues. They're not able to fund higher ed to the same degree that they did 10-15 years ago and before. Somebody on this board said that UC subsidizes their athletic department to the tune of $15MM/Year or some crazy figure like that. When you have to decide who receives a piece of an increasingly shrinking pie, the athletic department is likely an attractive place to start. Not a good situation, by any means.

Baseball is gone. Guess they're saying 5-7 sports could go as well. Suddenly CU's athletic offerings don't seem so paltry.

Yep, apparently baseball and "The Bears also will stop fully funding the men’s rugby program and also have cut the men’s and women’s gymnastics and women’s lacrosse teams." Not sure if that means gymnastics and women's lacrosse are done or just taking funding cuts.

Any buyers remorse for that $321M stadium upgrade?

Pretty stupid if you ask me. They don't even sell out the current stadium, do they?

Cutting the rugby program is going to piss off some of those eastayers.

I doubt it. That's supposed to be all privately funded, so at the end of the day, hopefully what they will have is a stadium that will increase revenues. It probably didn't look too good in Sacramento when they were deciding how much to budget for higher ed, though.

Cutting Rugby is a complete shock. Cal Rugby is a juggernaut, they have won 25 national championships in rugby since 1980, think about that...unbelieveable.

Not surprised tehy needed cuts though, SF Gate is saying Cal was running a $10-$13 million ANNUAL deficit, that's astounding. We're having heartburn over a $3M buyout and look what's happening around us.

They'll still have over 20 sports when all is said and done, but this is not good for the Pac 12.

Cutting Rugby is a complete shock. Cal Rugby is a juggernaut, they have won 25 national championships in rugby since 1980, think about that...unbelieveable.

Not surprised tehy needed cuts though, SF Gate is saying Cal was running a $10-$13 million ANNUAL deficit, that's astounding. We're having heartburn over a $3M buyout and look what's happening around us.

They'll still have over 20 sports when all is said and done, but this is not good for the Pac 12.

I don't think they're actually cutting it though, just not fully funding it.

Isn't rugby a club sport at most schools? Even modest administration support of a rugby squad would make a team competitive, I would think. I remember at DU they barely got a field to practice on.

Isn't rugby a club sport at most schools? Even modest administration support of a rugby squad would make a team competitive, I would think. I remember at DU they barely got a field to practice on.

Exactly. How many schools actually offer scholarships for rugby?

I doubt it. That's supposed to be all privately funded, so at the end of the day, hopefully what they will have is a stadium that will increase revenues. It probably didn't look too good in Sacramento when they were deciding how much to budget for higher ed, though.

Cal is spending $321M to shrink their stadium by 9K seats.
It is private funding that has yet to raise another $100M from donors according to the URL below.

http://www.calbears.com/genrel/011910aaa.html

How often are budget projections for things like seismic retrofits over-inflated?

Cal's got a lot on their plate.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. They don't even sell out the current stadium, do they?

Cutting the rugby program is going to piss off some of those eastayers.

Cal is one of about 4 schools that funds rugby, and the only one that does to their extent, cutting that back should not impact the program much at all.

Exactly. How many schools actually offer scholarships for rugby?

Cal, that might be it.

Cal was always the big program in rugby. The other teams that are consistently good are BYU and the Academy’s. Since everyone at the Academy’s gets a free education, you can sort of say the rugby players are on scholarship.

BYU should have probably won a few of those national championships in rugby, but the whole no play on Sunday’s would end their hopes early.

Posted this on another site but basically the change for rugby is only in name and largely about Title IX. I'm fairly certain they were fully self funding and am very sure they never used scholarships. They still get preferred admissions, access to the athletic facilities and access to the Cal medical staff. They have a large endowment from the Witter family and have a special place on Cal's campus. They were the only "varsity" rugby team at any school, although rugby at the academies is very big and it's very big on campus at BYU, Utah and Penn St. too. Some programs offer partail scholarships to players but those aren't through the AD and are through fundraising efforts from alumni.

Posted this on another site but basically the change for rugby is only in name and largely about Title IX. I'm fairly certain they were fully self funding and am very sure they never used scholarships. They still get preferred admissions, access to the athletic facilities and access to the Cal medical staff. They have a large endowment from the Witter family and have a special place on Cal's campus. They were the only "varsity" rugby team at any school, although rugby at the academies is very big and it's very big on campus at BYU, Utah and Penn St. too. Some programs offer partail scholarships to players but those aren't through the AD and are through fundraising efforts from alumni.

How does that not violate ncaa rules?

What NCAA rules would that violate? Rugby is not an NCAA sport. It's administered by USA Rugby, the national governing body for rugby in this country.

Indeed it is. Their headquarters is here in Boulder and my gf used to work for them. It's a pretty cool sport actually...

Cool, but not that impressive since there are only a smattering of schools with rugby teams.

It is like us and skiing. We are a Top 3 team each year, which is cool, but really only competing with DU and UU.

Indeed it is. Their headquarters is here in Boulder and my gf used to work for them. It's a pretty cool sport actually...

How recently? I did an internship there my soph year at CU. It is a great sport indeed but the leadership leaves a lot to be desired. College rugby kinda created their own thing separate from USA Rugby this year by forming a 31-team College Premier League, which CU is a part of. There is no reason we shouldn't be a top 10 team in rugby every year.

How recently? I did an internship there my soph year at CU. It is a great sport indeed but the leadership leaves a lot to be desired. College rugby kinda created their own thing separate from USA Rugby this year by forming a 31-team College Premier League, which CU is a part of. There is no reason we shouldn't be a top 10 team in rugby every year.

She was there a couple of years ago. She was an intern too actually but she left shortly before the most of the office staff got gutted.

Back