What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Uniform Prediction Thread - 2018 Game 4 - UCLA (Home)

Actually, they use the same stickers with all helmets. The gold outline and "CU" just blend together seamlessly with the gold helmets. They could solve this easily if they wanted to by using different stickers with each helmet. I think it probably would look better. They've obviously decided that they prefer using one consistent sticker with the official logo coloring.

You can clearly see it's the same sticker in this tweet.

Nah, you can clearly see it’s not. That gold CU is nice and metallic; it literally is the helmet color shining through. The alternate helmets have a dull gold CU and outline, because it’s not the same.
11CB22DA-C3A8-43AC-8433-3125391A1034.jpeg

View attachment 27452
Nah, you can clearly see it’s not. That gold CU is nice and metallic; it literally is the helmet color shining through. The alternate helmets have a dull gold CU and outline, because it’s not the same.
View attachment 27452 View attachment 27452
I don’t know who’s correct, but just want to point out that different cameras, filters and lighting will make the same color look completely different. The glossy shine looks the same.

Actually, they use the same stickers with all helmets. The gold outline and "CU" just blend together seamlessly with the gold helmets. They could solve this easily if they wanted to by using different stickers with each helmet. I think it probably would look better. They've obviously decided that they prefer using one consistent sticker with the official logo coloring.

You can clearly see it's the same sticker in this tweet.

View attachment 27452
View attachment 27452 View attachment 27452
Berkeley is correct in this exchange - it is totally obvious. I've made similar requests in the past: just reverse the logo and make it similarly transparent. How is this so hard?

I think I have the answer: It isn't hard. They could snap their fingers and do this. They aren't doing it, because they paid millions of dollars a few years ago for a marketing company to tell them their brand was fractured because there were way too many versions of the CU Buffs symbol. They standardized on one that leaned forward slightly compared to the previous one we associated with most frequently.

Rightly or wrongly, no one is going to vary from that multi-million $$ investment in marketing consulting a few years back until senior leadership turns over.

My opinion doesn't matter, this is the root of it.

Last edited:
View attachment 27452
After looking at those two pictures more, it's even easier to tell - on the gold helmets, the transparent outline to the buffalo is quite thin, whereas on the black helmet the gold sticker outline is quite thick.

Berkeley is correct in this exchange - it is totally obvious. I've made similar requests in the past: just reverse the logo and make it similarly transparent. How is this so hard?

I think I have the answer: It isn't hard. They could snap their fingers and do this. They aren't doing it, because they paid millions of dollars a few years ago for a marketing company to tell them their brand was fractured because there were way too many versions of the CU Buffs symbol. They standardized on one that leaned forward slightly compared to the previous one we associated with most frequently.

Rightly or wrongly, no one is going to vary from that multi-million $$ investment in marketing consulting a few years back until senior leadership turns over.

My opinion doesn't matter, this is the root of it.

**** your reasoning this **** out.

I want freakin' silver helmets with freakin' black buffaloes on them!

200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

For those of you who are having trouble remembering the buffalo horns on the silver helmets (apparently our take on Michigan's Wolverine helmet or various teams' Ram helmet) along with the horrific yellow jerseys, here ya go:

b0c7165c884e5547c2cad9c1fe0fad05-getty-89185856dp015_wyoming_v_col_medium.jpg

I actually liked the throwback helmets with the horns. Now, the piss yellow jerseys they wore with them.....
Yeah, the helmets weren't God Awful I suppose, just wasn't a fan of them. The jerseys, umm yeah, not too attractive.

For those of you who are having trouble remembering the buffalo horns on the silver helmets (apparently our take on Michigan's Wolverine helmet or various teams' Ram helmet) along with the horrific yellow jerseys, here ya go:

nostalgic

The funniest thing about those helmets is that the throwbacks were apparently from the 30s, which were obviously leather helmet days, so who knows if there ever were helmets like that.

It’s almost like the equipment/helmet design people forgot they were supposed to do something until game day.

Back