What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Urban meyer steps down as florida head coach?!!?!?!?

Fair to say I didn´t see that one coming. And at that age also.

Hope it´s just a precaution and he´ll be alright.

Bob Stoops, Mike Stoops, and Willingham.

At least that's who Mark May mentioned. :rolleyes:

:rofl2:

Willingham? Bob Stoops and maybe Mike Stoops might make sense, but what would possess anyone to believe that Willingham is going to get another head coaching job at a college football powerhouse?

:rofl2:

Willingham? Bob Stoops and maybe Mike Stoops might make sense, but what would possess anyone to believe that Willingham is going to get another head coaching job at a college football powerhouse?

I believe L meant Whittingham from Utah.

espn says its from a heart muscle defect

In that case I would get out if I had that money and spend all the time with my family that I could. "Heart muscle defect" sounds like something to me that could take you unexpectedly at any moment in your life.

Think they'll come after Hawkins as next HC?

:lol: That's what I said...big opportunity for him...yeah, like that will happen!

Pete Carroll was pretty serious when asked about it pre-game...I wonder if he has heard anything other than the official statement...it sounds very serious. I'm sure everyone is thinking cancer but my son remembers he had some chest pains after one of the games. Maybe it's heart related or maybe it's just stress and he wants to go out while on top and then return after the pressure is off.

Very strange development, for sure! Hope for the best for him and his family. :huh:

:lol: That's what I said...big opportunity for him...yeah, like that will happen!

Pete Carroll was pretty serious when asked about it pre-game...I wonder if he has heard anything other than the official statement...it sounds very serious. I'm sure everyone is thinking cancer but my son remembers he had some chest pains after one of the games. Maybe it's heart related or maybe it's just stress and he wants to go out while on top and then return after the pressure is off.

Very strange development, for sure! Hope for the best for him and his family. :huh:

Right, as long as this isn't some Pat Riley thing where he returns to the game in a very opportunistic fashion I am seriously concerned for Meyer. Hope the time off is just what he needs.

I also saw that interview with Carroll and I just think he was genuinely concerned for him and wanted Meyer to take care of himself and get his health better. I don't think he knows anything more.

I also saw that interview with Carroll and I just think he was genuinely concerned for him and wanted Meyer to take care of himself and get his health better. I don't think he knows anything more.

Oh, I agree he was very concerned...but I just thought he might know something else even if he said he just heard the announcement pre-game.

^^^^^^

ESPN reported that he (Meyer) would continue in a non-coaching capacity at Florida. Based on this and his friendship with Willingham who was his lead assistant at Utah and the fact that the roster has been recruited with the system that Meyer brought from Utah and that Utah for the most part still used this would be a very logical choice.

I have my doubts about Shanny going to Washington. He has stated often his displeasure with working under a medling owner when he worked for Al Davis. Snyder is the new Al Davis with the exception that he knows less about football that Davis does even now in his senility. The millions that Snyder will throw at him have to be tempting but in the long run I would be surprised if Shanny ends up in Washington and if he does he won't be there long.

One thing with Florida is that money won't be an issue. They have the financial support from the boosters to pretty much make whatever they want happen. If that means buying out the contract of Charlie Strong they are one of the few schools who could do it without blinking. I don't think they will do that. If it means buying Stoops out of OU, they could do that as well but with Urban still there looking over the shoulder of whoever comes in (unless they are a higher profile guy than he is, i.e. Shanny) and a pretty good situation in Norman I don't think Stoops would go either.

Could be interesting to see if this has an impact on his team in the Sugar Bowl. Cincy has already lost their coach to ND, the Gators might come out really fired up to win one last one for their coach, blowout city if it wasn't already, or big distraction and Cincy pulls off the upset.

Lets just start this now... Urban Meyer for CU head coach in 2011...j/k...
Here's hoping that he can spend many quality years with his family!

ESPN reported that he (Meyer) would continue in a non-coaching capacity at Florida. Based on this and his friendship with Willingham who was his lead assistant at Utah and the fact that the roster has been recruited with the system that Meyer brought from Utah and that Utah for the most part still used this would be a very logical choice.

I have my doubts about Shanny going to Washington. He has stated often his displeasure with working under a medling owner when he worked for Al Davis. Snyder is the new Al Davis with the exception that he knows less about football that Davis does even now in his senility. The millions that Snyder will throw at him have to be tempting but in the long run I would be surprised if Shanny ends up in Washington and if he does he won't be there long.

One thing with Florida is that money won't be an issue. They have the financial support from the boosters to pretty much make whatever they want happen. If that means buying out the contract of Charlie Strong they are one of the few schools who could do it without blinking. I don't think they will do that. If it means buying Stoops out of OU, they could do that as well but with Urban still there looking over the shoulder of whoever comes in (unless they are a higher profile guy than he is, i.e. Shanny) and a pretty good situation in Norman I don't think Stoops would go either.

Could be interesting to see if this has an impact on his team in the Sugar Bowl. Cincy has already lost their coach to ND, the Gators might come out really fired up to win one last one for their coach, blowout city if it wasn't already, or big distraction and Cincy pulls off the upset.

Is Shanahan really higher-profile than Urban Meyer at this point? I don't think so.

Is Shanahan really higher-profile than Urban Meyer at this point? I don't think so.

Yes, he is.

Super Bowl rings > National Championships

Meyer is a hell of a coach, but Shanny has 2 titles at the highest level. Meyer does not.

Charlie Weis has to land some place. He eats like a Gator but has a shorter snout. The next head coach at Florida= Fat boy Weis.

This has to feel very similar to Gator fans to what happened in 1994 with Bill McCartney and Colorado. Colorado is flying high as one of the best programs in the country, just basically crowned our first Heisman winner and then WHAM!! McCartney announces his retirement.

I remember that moment - if I recall it was after the Iowa State game in Boulder - Salaam went over 2,0000 yards which equaled the Heiseman. We were walking by the engineering center when the announcement began spreading up and down the sidewalk. Memorable - one of those "where were you when........." moments.

Yes, he is.

Meyer is a hell of a coach, but Shanny has 2 titles at the highest level. Meyer does not.

I would argue that the 'what have you done for me lately' factor is relevant here. I don't think you would be correct that in today's football world, Shanahan is higher profile than Meyer, although you are really splitting hairs at that point.

Yes, he is.

Don´t let UBT see this or he might call you an ignorant European who simply doesn´t understand how things work in the US. ;)

I would argue that the 'what have you done for me lately' factor is relevant here. I don't think you would be correct that in today's football world, Shanahan is higher profile than Meyer, although you are really splitting hairs at that point.

The list of head coaches with more than 1 ring is short and the list of head coaches with more than 1 ring who are still at an age where they might take another head coaching job is even shorter and consists of only 2 people ... one of the 2 coaches the New England Patriots.

The Florida job has got to be in the top 2 or 3 jobs in the country. Florida will get whoever they want.

Here's a name that shouldn't surprise anybody - Steve Spurrier. I can totally see this happening.

Honestly, I really do not think Shanny ends up in DC. It seems like one of those stories that people repeat enough so it is accepted as fact. I would actually think it is more likely he ends up Chicago or Florida. I hope he ends up at Florida, I think it would be fun to watch him coaching college football.

Except that Tim saw the Redskins personal jet in Denver a couple of times around mid season. Thats gives it more legs than any other rumor.

Though I'd agree that talk is cheap (see Dan Hawkins).

Except that Tim saw the Redskins personal jet in Denver a couple of times around mid season. Thats gives it more legs than any other rumor.

Though I'd agree that talk is cheap (see Dan Hawkins).

He talked with the Bills too.

Junc is right, Shanny can afford to sit and wait out the season to see which jobs are available. To jump on Redskins job when he potentially could be able to go to Chicago, the Florida Gators, or other teams is a bit premature.

Very suprised at the news of meyer. Tough loss for florida fans. Hopefully meyer can get a hold on the stress and return to coaching. They must be feeling a bit like us when mac stepped down right after salaam broke 2000yds after the iowa state game.

Back