What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USA Today preseason poll

I think the coaches poll is stupid. college coaches have enough on their plate with their own teams then having yo watch all of the other programs. jmo.

:yeahthat:
I'm sure the only teams they pay attention to are the ones on their schedule. The AD's or someone else in the athletic department often does their voting for them.

And there is a bias that could be argued--make teams on your schedule get ranked so that when you play them and beat them, you also get ranked. Now one vote can't do alot towards that goal, but you certainly could still do what you can with your vote.

Steve Spurrier started his coaching career at Duke and every year he ranks them #25 in his coaches poll as sort of a shoutout to where he first started.

Seems Spurrier is a bit tweeked at the big wigs at SC.

Spurrier irked by recruit rejections
THE STATE (COLUMBIA, S.C.)

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Saying he was embarrassed by the university's rejection of two of his recruits, South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier said Sunday he would leave the school if there are no changes made in the admissions process.

South Carolina's Spurrier agreed to a contract extension last year that gave him a $500,000 raise and keeps him at the school through the 2012 season.Spurrier opened his news media day press conference by attacking the university's decision to deny admission to a pair of players who were qualified under minimum NCAA standards.

"As long as I'm the coach here, we're going to take guys that qualify," Spurrier said. "If not, then I have to go somewhere else because I can't tell a young man, 'You're coming to school here,' he qualifies, and not do that. And we did that this year."

Wide receiver Michael Bowman of Wadesboro, N.C., and defensive back Arkee Smith of Jacksonville, Fla., were turned down by the university's special admissions committee despite being NCAA-qualified.

Bowman caught on with East Carolina. Smith has talked with Minnesota, Georgia Southern and Bethune-Cookman since learning late last week his appeal had been denied. The high school coaches of both players said South Carolina officials never provided a reason for the rejection.

"I've got to apologize to two young men that we recruited. They qualified. They signed with us in February. They were denied admission to our school," Spurrier said. "Personally, I don't think that's the way you do business. I'm embarrassed that I and our coaches basically misled these young men into believing they were coming here."

Spurrier said he was not "blasting" South Carolina President Andrew Sorensen, whom Spurrier said has agreed to change the admissions process.

University spokesman Russ McKinney said Spurrier, Sorensen, Provost Mark Becker, Athletics Director Eric Hyman and other officials have had ongoing discussions about streamlining the process so coaches can inform athletes sooner of their admissions status. In Smith's case, the player found out he lost his appeal a couple of days before the Gamecocks started preseason practice.

But McKinney said being NCAA-qualified does not guarantee an athlete admission.

"Our goal in the regular admissions process and any special admissions process is to try to be sure that every student admitted to the university can be successful and graduate," McKinney said. "It's not an arbitrary number on this score or that score."

After Bowman was denied admission last month, the athletics director at his high school, Fred Davis, told a North Carolina newspaper that Bowman was a victim of the Gamecocks' oversigning during recruiting season. South Carolina's top-10 recruiting class included 32 players — five more than the Gamecocks were able to bring in this year under NCAA rules.

"There's a perception out there that South Carolina oversigned, and they're just getting rid of guys. And that's not true. That's not true on our coaching staff," Spurrier said. "We had a plan in place to grayshirt if they all qualified. And we were going to do that. As it turned out, we're not going to have to do that right now."

Clemson coach Tommy Bowden had similar admissions frustrations when two prospects were turned down by a university committee in February on the eve of National Signing Day. Clemson President James Barker later initiated a review and revision of the entrance process.

McKinney said USC's special admissions committee, which consists entirely of faculty members, reviews transcripts of athletes and students with special talents — from the music or dance departments, for instance.

If athletes are denied, Hyman can appeal to Becker, who makes his decision with input from Sorensen, McKinney said.

Spurrier said he "begged and pleaded" with Becker two years ago to admit a pair of players, who started for the Gamecocks last season. Spurrier said this year the committee accepted one of three football players. He did not identify the player.

"In my opinion, we made a mistake in doing this. I'm not criticizing the president. He said we're going to change how we do it. But for our credibility — mine and the coaching staff — I just want the high school coaches, the parents of players and all them to know — that that's not going to happen here if I continue to be the coach," said Spurrier, who agreed to a contract extension last year that gave him a $500,000 raise and keeps him at USC through the 2012 season.

"I plan on being the coach here a long time."

Yea AP poll is the only one I really follow, coach's poll has always seemed a bit biased. Also wasn't it the coaches poll that made CU have a joint national championship?

Yea AP poll is the only one I really follow, coach's poll has always seemed a bit biased. Also wasn't it the coaches poll that made CU have a joint national championship?

Yes, and Osborne voted GT #1 ahead of CU and 1 and I think 1 vote made the difference

Back