What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC Forum

I think the point is that despite their early season struggles, any week USC can play like the number 4 team in the country. Now they can also play like an unranked team but they always have that potential to come out and absolutely dominate any team in the Pac-12. Another downside is ASU didn't really wear them down at all physically so there shouldn't be a let down this week. Quite the contrast from the physical punishment UCLA put on Stanford the week before they went to Seattle.
Good news is their starters had to play the whole game. Ours didn't.

At this point SC is as good as Michigan. They've just had different circumstances this year. ...but we were close to beating Michigan. Key match-up to me is our O-line vs their front seven. SC was in the backfield so much last week and that just completely shut down ASU's high-power offense. If their pass rush gets going we are done. If it doesn't SC is done.
You know that ASU only ran for 75 yards against U$C, right? Wasn't the pass rush; they dominated the whole OL, the whole time.
Oh and what really shut down the "high power" ASU "O" was the loss of their QB Wilkins.

On offense, U$C didn't have to face much blitzing, from the AZ Republic:

"Over the offseason, Arizona State football coach Todd Graham and his defensive staff studied their personnel. With the youngest secondary of Graham's five years in Tempe, they wanted to put their defensive backs in the best position possible.
Through four weeks, the result has been an ASU defense that has blitzed significantly less, a move that goes against the aggressive defensive culture Graham installed upon arrival"

U$C QB Darnold may see a bit more from JMFL, as well as facing a SR-laden defensive backfield.

Last edited:
You know that ASU only ran for 75 yards against U$C, right? Wasn't the pass rush; they dominated the whole OL, the whole time.
Oh and what really shut down the "high power" ASU "O" was the loss of their QB Wilkins.
They had ASU shut-down before Wilkins ever went out, but you right...they dominated ASUs Oline. Doesn' change matchup to watch: CU Oline vs SC front seven. Many Wilkins pretty mobile too. One thing he is not is big - 6-3 190lbs stringbean. Maybe our 230lb QBs will give them more trouble.

USC this season.

mGLwKgq.gif

asu's offense did not look good that night. Their D has looked like crap all season. We will be a test for u$c and they will be a big test for us.

I think the point is that despite their early season struggles, any week USC can play like the number 4 team in the country. Now they can also play like an unranked team but they always have that potential to come out and absolutely dominate any team in the Pac-12. Another downside is ASU didn't really wear them down at all physically so there shouldn't be a let down this week. Quite the contrast from the physical punishment UCLA put on Stanford the week before they went to Seattle.
Eh, I guess I just don't buy it from them this year. IMO, there is some dysfunction going on with the coaching staff and the mental toughness of the players. Yes, USC is talented, but I'm not just giving them the benefit of the doubt to play like a top 5 team on any given week because they beat Utah State and Arizona State. I also don't believe Arizona State is as good as people want to believe. Their defense can't stop a competent offense and their schedule leaves quite a bit to be desired.

USCFan1991

10-03-2016, 11:26 AM
I've watched a few Colorado games now and I don't see them keeping the score close after halftime. This will be a 14+ point USC win. Oregon win is not that impressive with how they're self-destructing. Oregon State is the worst pac12 team by far so that game is meaningless to me. Finally, Michigan played down to an opponent they thought would be a pushover. USC doesn't have the luxury of playing down to anybody and I think our weapons on offense will blow them out of the water. Their QB is going to be really surprised by the speed of our defense and he went 0/7 against Michigan (the only team with comparable speed to what he has seen so far)

lpsNF0M.gif

Eh, I guess I just don't buy it from them this year. IMO, there is some dysfunction going on with the coaching staff and the mental toughness of the players. Yes, USC is talented, but I'm not just giving them the benefit of the doubt to play like a top 5 team on any given week because they beat Utah State and Arizona State. I also don't believe Arizona State is as good as people want to believe. Their defense can't stop a competent offense and their schedule leaves quite a bit to be desired.
I wasn't really impressed until I watched the replay of the game last night. They kicked the living crap out of ASU and no matter what you want to say about ASU's talent level they went up 40-6 (similar to OSU who is a way worse team than ASU) a week after going into Utah and losing a game they easily should have won.

USC 9 - 4 , 2014
USC 8 - 6 , 2015
Good records, but not exactly anything to pee in your pants about.
CU 30 USC 20
Buffs Win !!!

look, the changes that usc made worked-- they destroyed a very good asu team that had been playing great. this is no pushover game. there are very few gimmes left on the schedule. i believe that CU can win and that usc is fragile, but this game is going to be a real challenge for our Buffs.
That "great" ASU team had the 99th ranked scoring defense and lost their starting QB. When the 2nd string QB came in, his style was completely different from the starter and they had to adopt a different game plan on the fly.

Like a lot of talented & dysfunctional teams, USC is a completely different squad at home.

If this was in Boulder, I'd be supremely confident. At the Coliseum, I'm on edge.

They like white horsies and the U$C Dance Team! But I agree they play sorta good in that ancient concrete tub.
And all that concertina razor wire on campus fences makes them feel more comfortable.

That "great" ASU team had the 99th ranked scoring defense and lost their starting QB. When the 2nd string QB came in, his style was completely different from the starter and they had to adopt a different game plan on the fly.
You mean their starting QB who led the team to all of 159 yds of offense in the first half and mustered 6 points?

I think we should put to bed the narrative that the USC-ASU game would have somehow been any different if Manny Wilkins hadn't come out of the game- ASU was down 27-6 when he came out at halftime with USC receiving the kick to open the second half.

USC has more talent across the board than any team the Buffs have played except Michigan so far this year. Buffs really need to bring the "A" game like they did against OSU last week to pull this one out.

You mean their starting QB who led the team to all of 159 yds of offense in the first half and mustered 6 points?

I think we should put to bed the narrative that the USC-ASU game would have somehow been any different if Manny Wilkins hadn't come out of the game- ASU was down 27-6 when he came out at halftime with USC receiving the kick to open the second half.

USC has more talent across the board than any team the Buffs have played except Michigan so far this year. Buffs really need to bring the "A" game like they did against OSU last week to pull this one out.
I don't disagree!
Point is, contrary to the "ASU is a great team" meme, U$C wasn't playing a very stout defensive team. Indeed, far from it: One of the worst.
U$C had a field day against a weak, inexperienced and confused ASU secondary; fronted by a LB corps that the coaches did not bother to blitz.

ASU rushed 33 times for 75 yards. CU needs to do much better than that to open up the play action. That and don't allow USC a lot of explosive plays, which ASU couldn't do.

I have no idea what USC will show up and I don't think there's much of a gap between the South Div teams. That said, I think ASU may end up 5th in the division. Their 51-41 home win over a Cal team that's a little better than I thought (probably 6-6ish) is decent. Aside from that they have a shootout home win over a Texas Tech squad that's mid-tier Big XII at best. Also a nail biter 32-28 road win over a woeful UTSA. Won't put much stock in game 1 against Northern Arizona, though they pulled away late in that one as well.

Sure, SC always has elite athletes, but to say, as a team, SC is as good right now as the #4 team in the country, is completely false.
How do you think Michigan would have fared against Bama in the first week of the season? I think they would have been crushed.

You can still legally bet Colorado + 5. That is a good bet. Fun Note: Buffs have beat the prevailing spread every game this season, even when they were not favored to win.

My bet is that CU jumps to an early lead, USC gets shocked but makes a run to get close at the half.
After another quick score or two by the Buffs, a USC turnover turns into yet antoher scoring drive for CU.
That is the turning point in the game and USC starts to roll over while the Buffs finsih the game strong for the win.

If USC wins, it will largely come as a result of their edge in the return game.
For a team that is far more talented across the board, this would seem like an odd area to highlight as the difference maker. It leads me to think you believe we can go toe to toe on O and D?

I see the real test being our Lines vs theirs. We have to be able to run the ball to open the pass and we can't allow their athletes to get in a rhythm when they have the ball

We have to keep them off balance. Make them second guess themselves.

Back