What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC/UCLA return to tradition

CarolinaBuff

Club Member
Club Member
This is cool that both coaches agreed on a return to tradition in this rivalry, and it was classy of Neuheisel to offer to take a timeout. Not that the extra timeout for UCLA would've made a difference. :lol:

For the first time in 26 years Saturday, both USC and UCLA will wear their home jerseys in the same game.

Carroll will be penalized one timeout at the start of the game for doing it. Neuheisel has agreed to immediately call a timeout to make it even.

It's pretty stupid that they have to resort to this timeout thing. If both sides are ok with the other's uni choice, why bother? It probably won't matter, but what happens if one side can't review a very important play at the end of the half because they used both of the time outs already? That would be a steep price to pay for jersey color. But, I guess it's pretty unlikely that a) they'd need the time out for a review and b) it would affect the outcome of the game. But, it could...

Its pretty dumb that they have to do this; red and sky blue aren't hard to tell apart for the refs, are they?

It's pretty stupid that they have to resort to this timeout thing. If both sides are ok with the other's uni choice, why bother? It probably won't matter, but what happens if one side can't review a very important play at the end of the half because they used both of the time outs already? That would be a steep price to pay for jersey color. But, I guess it's pretty unlikely that a) they'd need the time out for a review and b) it would affect the outcome of the game. But, it could...

Because the NCAA has a rule that penalizes a team 1 TO that doesn't wear a proper road jersey. But I don't see why they can't just waive the rule if both teams agree.

Full article:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke3-2008dec03,0,2397125.column

Well in the Big12 this year the refs really needed to have their eyes checked, and it was for all games, lots of missed calls and wrong calls.:sad1:

The games I have seen confirm this. I have no idea what is going on but hopefully, the Big 12 will do something about the officials before it becomes more of an embarrassment for them.

LSU would ask the traveling team to 'swap' home and away jerseys. I believe we had a coach that said no.

so its one team has to be in road whites and one in the home dress no matter the venue? the way the article was written....

...passing a rule that would penalize teams one timeout if they did not wear their proper home and road jerseys.

...it gave me the impression that the venue mattered because of the use of the word "proper" (home = darks / away = whites).

i guess 'proper' in this context would be, the home team makes thier choice of the proper options (home/away) and the visiting team makes the proper choice of not wearing the same while still being properly attired. :smile2:

LSU would ask the traveling team to 'swap' home and away jerseys. I believe we had a coach that said no.

I thought LSU had to ask the SEC special permission or something to play at home in whites. Some tradition BS as I recall.

I thought LSU had to ask the SEC special permission or something to play at home in whites. Some tradition BS as I recall.

More info-copy and paste

"LSU is one of the few college football teams that wears white jerseys for home games. The tradition started in 1958, when Coach Paul Dietzel decided that LSU would wear white jerseys for the home games. LSU went on to win the national championship that year. Since then, LSU continued to wear white jerseys at home games. Then in 1982, new NCAA rules forbid teams from wearing white jerseys at home. Because of this, LSU wore purple jerseys during home games from 1983 to 1994. In 1995, LSU's new coach, Gerry DiNardo, was determined to restore LSU's tradition of white home jerseys. DiNardo personally met with each member of the NCAA Football Rules Committee, lobbying LSU's case. DiNardo was successful, and LSU again began wearing white jerseys at home when the 1995 season began. In LSU's first home game with the white jerseys, unranked LSU staged a stunning 12-6 upset victory over #6 Auburn. In 2000, LSU's new coach, Nick Saban, altered the tradition of the white home jerseys: now LSU only wears white jerseys for the home opener and for home games against SEC opponents. For non-SEC home games other than the home opener, LSU wears purple jerseys at home."

and

"In 1982, the NCAA changed the jersey rule, requiring teams to wear dark-colored jerseys for home games. The Tigers wore purple jerseys for all home games from 1983 to 1994. When Gerry DiNardo became head coach in 1995, he vowed to change the NCAA jersey rule. DiNardo's efforts were successful and the Tigers were allowed to wear white jerseys again beginning in 1995. A stipulation of the new rule was that the visiting team would have to give the home team permission to wear white jerseys. The first ream to deny LSU's request was DiNardo's former team, Vanderbilt.

"Instead of going back to purple jerseys, the Tigers took to the field in new gold jerseys. The SEC later adopted a league rule stipulating that the home team has sole discretion in determining its jersey color. Nick Saban became LSU's head coach in 2000 and continued the white jersey tradition, but with a twist. Saban decided that LSU would wear purple jerseys for all non-SEC games, except the home opener, a trend that current head coach Les Miles has continued."

10 to 1 Slick Rick Pulls that

I think he'll honor it and and take the TO.

I was a bit surprised about all the info that was posted about LSU wearing white at home because I just figured that the home team had the choice of white or dark, and the visiting team had to wear the opposite. (thanks for the info, BC!) I'm pretty sure that's how the NFL works - the home team has the choice. The Cowboys always wear white at home and I've seen other teams do it as well during the early part of the season because of the heat. Miami for one does it quite frequently. I remember Reeves even did this one year in the early 80's for like the first 3 games of the season.

Of course he'll keep his word. Why would you back out on it when you made it public to millions of people.

The whole reason the two teams used to wear their home unis in this game was because they both played in the coliseum. Once UCLA moved it's home games to the Rose Bowl, there was a "home" and "away" team. While I appreciate the nod to tradition, it's a bit contrived, IMO.

The whole reason the two teams used to wear their home unis in this game was because they both played in the coliseum. Once UCLA moved it's home games to the Rose Bowl, there was a "home" and "away" team. While I appreciate the nod to tradition, it's a bit contrived, IMO.

I don't think that's the case because even when they shared the coliseum, one team was still designated as the home team and the other the road team in alternating years. Kind of like when the Jets and Giants play each other.

I don't think that's the case because even when they shared the coliseum, one team was still designated as the home team and the other the road team in alternating years. Kind of like when the Jets and Giants play each other.

That's true but even the away teams wore their traditional home uniforms. They alternated who was "home" and "away" each year but USC would always wear their cardinal uniform while UCLA would wear their blue jersey.

usc-ucla-homejerseys.jpg

That's true but even the away teams wore their traditional home uniforms. They alternated who was "home" and "away" each year but USC would always wear their cardinal uniform while UCLA would wear their blue jersey.

usc-ucla-homejerseys.jpg

Right, but I don't think they did it just because they both played in the same stadium, it was because they were intra-city rivals. At least that's my understanding of it.

Even though they both played their home games in the same stadium, one of the teams still had to be designated as the road team. They had to be for the sake of season-ticket holders.

Right, but I don't think they did it just because they both played in the same stadium, it was because they were intra-city rivals. At least that's my understanding of it.

Even though they both played their home games in the same stadium, one of the teams still had to be designated as the road team. They had to be for the sake of season-ticket holders.

Alright, I understand what you're saying.

From Wikipedia: "For a number of years, the schools shared the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum as their home stadium until UCLA moved to the Rose Bowl for the 1982 season. Each school alternated as the "home" team for the game, with home fans on North side of the Coliseum and visitor fans on the South (press box) side. Until 1983, players on both teams wore their home football jerseys for the game."

So apparently they just treated it like a neutral site game, like we do with Invesco, and divided the tickets in half.

Alright, I understand what you're saying.

From Wikipedia: "For a number of years, the schools shared the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum as their home stadium until UCLA moved to the Rose Bowl for the 1982 season. Each school alternated as the "home" team for the game, with home fans on North side of the Coliseum and visitor fans on the South (press box) side. Until 1983, players on both teams wore their home football jerseys for the game."

So apparently they just treated it like a neutral site game, like we do with Invesco, and divided the tickets in half.

That's actually a little different than what I thought, as far as the ticket distribution is concerned. I figured that whoever was the home team, their season-ticket holders would get to sit in their regular-season seats, that's how it is for a Jets-Giants game. But like you said, it sounds like it was actually treated as a neutral-site game.

Of course he'll keep his word. Why would you back out on it when you made it public to millions of people.

Riiiight, I can just hear him now, "Once the game started I was so focused on the field that I totally forgot to call the timeout. My sincerest apology to Pete and USC."

Back