What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Utah AD been contacted by Pac 10?

I can see both sides of this argument. TCU has a much stronger fanbase than many of us realize. However, TCU wouldn't provide the Big XII with much marginal growth because they already reside in an overlap market. UHouston would likely be in the same boat. Some other teams that would bring more TV sets include New Mexico, BYU, Louisville, Memphis...

It's quite simple, Master Snow.
1) Ann Richards, fmr TX Governor had more ties to Baylor than TCU
2) Demographic changes. The DFW area has grown by a whopping 24% in the past decade, and has eclipsed Philly as #4 in the process
3) The growth is a factor of high tech, manufacturing, energy, and financial services. The labor force includes a heavy dose of transplants. During that time, the % of A&M/UT/OU alum has shrunk proportunately against the population of the metroplex. As stated earlier, many new arrivals come from KS, MO, OK, and Big 10 country.
4) DFW does not have any major tier 1 universities. There is TCU, SMU, North Texas, and UT-Arlington. 2 are Christian based private schools with D1 football teams, the other 2 are state schools with only UNT fielding an up and coming program. All four schools have benefitted from the population growth paired with the distance from B12 campuses. Austin is a whole different world than DFW, as is Norman & College Station. It's getting harder and harder to get into UT/A&M with the state's population growth. The cost of OOS education is making private TCU & SMU more viable, and kids want to stay close to home.
5) SMU's death penalty shifted focus to TCU. TCU's alum LaDanian Tomlinson put the frogs on the map. Getting the a Bowl Game in Ft Worth helped. Upsetting OU in Norman didn't hurt, and the abundance of local talent has just made things snowball.

It's a different world now, versus where the B12 was in the mid '90s.

I hope this helps you pull your head out and smell the coffee.

Awesome. Great explanation. However, your head is still up the DFW ass. Completely ignored the Forest again. sigh.

Why would we give a flying **** about the Big XII once we leave? I don't ****ing care who they add, cuz I won't be watching them.

I can see both sides of this argument. TCU has a much stronger fanbase than many of us realize. However, TCU wouldn't provide the Big XII with much marginal growth because they already reside in an overlap market. UHouston would likely be in the same boat. Some other teams that would bring more TV sets include New Mexico, BYU, Louisville, Memphis...

The key to this arguement comes down to two factors:
1) Which school is most likely to be ranked? The ranked team will draw national interest and network revenue over the unranked. TCU has the best chance of being ranked due to the abundent recruiting talent within 60 miles of their doorstep.
2) Which market is larger now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now?

1) Which school is most likely to be ranked? The ranked team will draw national interest and network revenue over the unranked. TCU has the best chance of being ranked due to the abundent recruiting talent within 60 miles of their doorstep.
you are still completely ignoring the marginal argument. Accepting the obvious truth that TCU would improve the DFW penetration of the new big 12, would that penetration be a great enough change from the penetration they obviously already have to offset the losses in other areas?

Penetration Penetration. :lol:

you are still completely ignoring the marginal argument. Accepting the obvious truth that TCU would improve the DFW penetration of the new big 12, would that penetration be a great enough change from the penetration they obviously already have to offset the losses in other areas?

Penetration Penetration. :lol:

It might not really improve or offset the losses if CU or NU were to leave. If the Big 12 stays around then they will have to rely on the mid-major teams to come into the conference. No large program is chomping at the bit to join the conference that is completely controlled and biased toward UT and OU. The Big 12 could go on, but make no mistake, the conference, minus a couple of schools, doesn't have alot going for it.

Awesome. Great explanation. However, your head is still up the DFW ass. Completely ignored the Forest again. sigh.

This is rich coming from you. It's easier to count the times you haven't had your head in your ass.

The forest that you point out is an economic one.
The program that brings the most $$$ to the conference is the most attractive.

...are you following? Are you able to keep up?

Ranked teams get better TV coverage than unranked teams. They get broadcast across the whole forest, and across the prairie, from sea to shining sea.

The team with the better chance of being nationally ranked is the team you want in your conference.

...are you still with me?

Teams who are have access to the best players have a greater probability of being ranked than schools who struggle to attract the best players.

...I know that last point is a hard concept to grasp. But try to hang on.

TCU is uniquely positioned because it is in one of the top 4 recruiting grounds on the planet.

...this is where it gets tricky...

TCU had been able to win games and get ranked. As a result, TCU has been known to get a little national attention for itself. Adverisers and conferences like it when teams get attention for winning. They spend money on adversing with the conference that get's it's games on national TV the most.

...let me know if I'm way over your head. I suspect you'd like to treat TV advertising like a game of Parker Brother's Risk, and want to spread your armies over podunk markets. But the last 10 years has proven that CU's relevance to the conference has diminished to the point where only the MTN network cares about CU-CSU. Meanwhile TCU is invited in a major bowl game.

Your Parkers Brothers Risk strategy ISN'T working. CU will be syphoning off $$$ from programs who manage to win. Meanwhile, CU has gone from a team that used to play on TV, but is now getting bumped for games people actually want to watch.

I don't like this any more than you do. But it's called reality. When you leave your ivory tower, it just might hit you in the face.

This is rich coming from you. It's easier to count the times you haven't had your head in your ass.

Ranked teams get better TV coverage than unranked teams. They get broadcast across the whole forest, and across the prairie, from sea to shining sea.

The team with the better chance of being nationally ranked is the team you want in your conference.

Teams who are have access to the best players have a greater probability of being ranked than schools who struggle to attract the best players.

TCU is uniquely positioned because it is in one of the top 4 recruiting grounds on the planet.

TCU had been able to win games and get ranked. As a result, TCU has been known to get a little national attention for itself. Adverisers and conferences like it when teams get attention for winning. They spend money on adversing with the conference that get's it's games on national TV the most.

...let me know if I'm way over your head. I suspect you'd like to treat TV advertising like a game of Parker Brother's Risk, and want to spread your armies over podunk markets. But the last 10 years has proven that CU's relevance to the conference has diminished to the point where only the MTN network cares about CU-CSU. Meanwhile TCU is invited in a major bowl game.

Your Parkers Brothers Risk strategy ISN'T working. CU will be syphoning off $$$ from programs who manage to win. Meanwhile, CU has gone from a team that used to play on TV, but is now getting bumped for games people actually want to watch.

I don't like this any more than you do. But it's called reality. When you leave your ivory tower, it just might hit you in the face.

Hey ladies, no one cares. Nice threadjack. Take it somewhere else.

if the PAC 10 said that they won't decide until the end of the year, that really hurts CU and they might turn them down again. I would rather stay in a 14 team Big 12 (ER 14) than a 12 team PAC 12. Especially if the SEC and BIG 10 both go to 14

screw texas. screw the b12. screw the sec. screw the b10. and, especially, especially SCREW the FUSKERS!

p10 or bust!

I was pretty disappointed to see that the Pac 10 was talking about making a decision "prior to the end of the year". The decision needs to be made prior to the end of May. I can't help but think that somebody may have put the cart before the horse in the Pac 10 when they announced they were looking to expand. I would tend to think that they would have floated that kind of statement past the member schools first to get their feedback. Apparently they didn't.

the game is on the MTN because it is a csu home game and that is their network

Hey ladies, no one cares. Nice threadjack. Take it somewhere else.

You call that a threadjack? Really?

Check this one out: http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/46269-Expansion-train-getting-ready-to-leave-the-station I like the part where the discussion turns to job interviews and retirement.

Here's another one! http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....mming-Team-Booted-From-National-Championships Note how quickly the topics of dandelions, prairie dogs and squirrels rear their ugly heads.

Threadjack...:lol::lol::lol:

Your argument is strictly predicated in the present, yet the past and future count too. TCU is a flavor of the month. With the exception of LT, most of their "history" goes back to biblical times with Baugh and O'Brien. They've had a decent little mid-major run under Patterson. But I'd say there is a good chance they fall off when he leaves.

Conference realignment decisions are made with the long-term in mind. So with that said, your "ranked" or "level of competiveness" position is null and void. Sure, TCU may be ranked in the next few years, but would anyone even notice if they turned into Baylor? No, because TCU is irrelevant on the national landscape. Their recruiting will always consist of the scraps (albeit decent scraps) of the other big schools in Texas.

Add these factors with the TV market overlap, and I'd say there are many other potential Big XII candidates that have more going for it than TCU. I've listed a few of these above.

You are clearly a polyanna attorney in training, and not a business analyst.

The point is that the Denver market will continue to watch B12 teams with or without CU.

If CU drops football, maybe so. If CU moves on to the Pac-10, so does the Denver market, for the most part. The Denver market isn't going to go scrambling to watch TCU/aTm rather than CU/Washington St., just because TCU is good and DFW fans are rabid. They're going to go wherever CU does, for the most part.

Fans in DFW, OTOH, are generally already watching Big XII games down there. Maybe they miss one here and there that conflicts with a TCU game, but aside from that, I'll bet their TVs are tuned to Big XII games an awful lot.

Net eyes watching sets, losing CU and adding TCU will hurt the Big XII TV market....

Scenario 1: CU goes to the 12Pac; Nobody cares what happens to the B12. Good riddance.
Scenario 2: Big 10 nabs Mizzou and/or somebody else. CU is stuck in the Tex12; TCU is most likely added. Denver market stays put.
Scenario 3: UT and A&M plus 2 from this group defect; Mizzou, NU, KU. CU does not go to Pac. We'd be screwed.

Right now, everyone's eggs are in the top basket.

Things would get dicey should CU be stranded. After all, the administration does have an uncanny ability screw things up.

And I disagree. The Big 12 South fans barely know Colorado exists anymore. No one says a word to me when I wear my stuff around town. The general consensus from what I've heard is, "Good, let them move. Then we'll grab TCU or someone."

Very sad how bad the perception of CU football is right now. :(
You are 100% correct, I live in the KC area, and the first thing people say to me - after they laugh - is why does Hawkins always play his son, he's no good. We are now the bottom of the barrel of the Big 12. Give me some reasons why we would be attractive to any other major conference? I lived in the Denver - Colorado Springs area for years, and most people watched the Broncos on TV, not CU. CU was always an after thought, the Broncos will always own the Colorado media market.

Last edited:
Back