What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Utah opens as a 17 point favorite

No. But based on his stats vs a better defense it would be anything but surprising to see Utah put up more than 17 points, especially vs our defense.

He was fortunate to put up that many points. You don't put up points in the 30's that often with a 45% completion rate.

CU has a chance to win this game. Utah has become a train wreck, early in the year it looked like they had a good defense but they have gone downhill. They have lost the starting QB 2 years in a row. It will depend how the Utes come out - ready to play or done for the year.

I would be shocked if we kept them to 17 or fewer points. BTW I think it will be a close game. 33-27, 27-24. Something like that

Hey look at CU rolling in at last place. #120. Oops:popcorn:
Are you under the impression that I think our defense is good? And fwiw, CU has held their last two opponents 35.43% (California) and 7.12% (USC) below their average passing yards/game

Are you under the impression that I think our defense is good? And fwiw, CU has held their last two opponents 35.43% (California) and 7.12% (USC) below their average passing yards/game

I don't get what your argument is? You and others cited Wazzu's defense as some sort of reason that Utah's QB's stats are a fluke, despite the fact their our defense is actually significantly worse

You said that you'd be surprised if they scored more than 17 points. Slider pointed out they scored much more than that against WSU (and passed for a bunch of yards). You come back with the statistic about the WSU passing defense with some snipe about how they are worse than Cal. CU is much worse in the same statistic...

I'm not sure why you are surprised that we think there is a flaw in your logic.

They're starting a walk on QB. I'd be surprised if they scored much more than 17 points.

You said that you'd be surprised if they scored more than 17 points. Slider pointed out they scored much more than that against WSU (and passed for a bunch of yards). You come back with the statistic about the WSU passing defense with some snipe about how they are worse than Cal. CU is much worse in the same statistic...

I'm not sure why you are surprised that we think there is a flaw in your logic.
I did? Maybe you should go back and read the thread...

Sorry, you are correct but the lack of logic still holds. You stepped in on slider's response and made no sense.
My logic is more of just like stats that other teams have put up against CU's defense, Mike Leech defense's tend to inflate other teams' stats because he just doesn't care about it. I just think 17 points is a lot for Utah to be favored over us. We will score some. Utah has a good DL, better than USC's for that matter, but Sefo is pretty elusive within the pocket at avoiding the rush and has a quick release. Do we win? I don't think so but I think either way the final score is going to be within 7.

My logic is more of just like stats that other teams have put up against CU's defense, Mike Leech defense's tend to inflate other teams' stats because he just doesn't care about it. I just think 17 points is a lot for Utah to be favored over us. We will score some. Utah has a good DL, better than USC's for that matter, but Sefo is pretty elusive within the pocket at avoiding the rush and has a quick release. Do we win? I don't think so but I think either way the final score is going to be within 7.

If that is your point then I'm fine with it. The stat you brought up in the context it was brought up did nothing to bolster that point, however.

17 points is a lot but if you look at Utah over the course of the year at home and CU on the road... I'm not sure I can argue with the bookies too much. CU, especially offensively, has looked downright horrible on the road this year. Of course, I am a Buff fan and hope this one is different.

I guess my point was that Utah would have to probably score in the 30's and shut us down to cover the spread. And with their QB, I just don't see it.

I don't get what your argument is? You and others cited Wazzu's defense as some sort of reason that Utah's QB's stats are a fluke, despite the fact their our defense is actually significantly worse

For me at least, the two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Our pass defense has been bad this season, statistically worse than Wazzu. However, that does not somehow morph Utah's QB into an All-American bound to shred us mercilessly. Now, we've had a knack for making backup players look better than they are in the past, but I would certainly think that our defense has a better shot of turning in a good performance against this QB than they would have against Travis Wilson or other QBs in the conference. The "woe is me, Utah should blow us up" routine just isn't working for me right now.

Have played Utah close recently, so imagine this is also relatively close. still, can't be surprised with the point spread considering how this team has played on the road to this point

BTW - the game is on Saturday, not Friday. They stopped doing the day-after-Thanksgiving thing. Frankly, I'm glad they did. I was getting tired of having to work that around my schedule. It's much better this way.

I may be nuts, but I think CU wins this game. I've seen real improvement in this team over the last two weeks. They are starting to play as a team. Not a lot of mental errors. Gryffendor, err, USC beat CU through pure athletic dominance. Utah won't have that luxury.

BTW - the game is on Saturday, not Friday. They stopped doing the day-after-Thanksgiving thing. Frankly, I'm glad they did. I was getting tired of having to work that around my schedule. It's much better this way.

I may be nuts, but I think CU wins this game. I've seen real improvement in this team over the last two weeks. They are starting to play as a team. Not a lot of mental errors. Gryffendor, err, USC beat CU through pure athletic dominance. Utah won't have that luxury.

I agree. Our record doesn't reflect the progress we have made this season and I wouldn't be surprised if this game is closer than most expect.

As was posted previously in another thread, the opening line was CU +16. Since it went to +17 right away means that there was probably some early play on Utah. I think we'll cover, and I'm hoping we can even pull off a win.

our last win in SLC didn't add up to much....even though we all thought it meant something. i keep wanting to like this team but also am disappointed we didn't show up better in home games with U of A and SC. i would say contrary to others, i think our record does show some margin of improvement. beat Utah and we have a 5 win season....not something to sniff at. pretty good for us the last several seasons. did Embo even win 5 games total?

i'll stop short of predicting a CU W but i think it's possible. 17 seems like a lot but i wouldn't bet us on the road, either. objectively speaking. heart, head...that whole thing.

Back