What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Vance Joseph

PAC MAN

Tekken Masher.
Club Member
It's good to see a former Buff (and a QB at that) be on the verge of getting a NFL head coaching job. Wouldn't this be a nice reflection of not only Bill McCartney but CU as well?

Would be cool to see one of our own as an NFL head coach, Broncos at that. I don't see him as a reflection on Mac though. He isn't part of his coaching tree

I seem to recall his departure from CU wasn't that amicable. I'm struggling to remember the exact circumstances, though.

He is for Bill Mac.
Also, wasn't Joseph removed here by Barnett for his alleged involvement with the Lisa Simpson situation as an assistant coach?

Edit. Sacky beat me to it. Pretty sure he was involved with the party at Lisa's.

college-football-colorado-vance-joseph-in-action-during-game-with-picture-id81353541

He is for Bill Mac.
Also, wasn't Joseph removed here by Barnett for his alleged involvement with the Lisa Simpson situation as an assistant coach?

Edit. Sacky beat me to it. Pretty sure he was involved with the party at Lisa's.

No he was not involved in that at all. There was an incident that involved his brother Sammy Joseph that led to some disciplinary action but he was not removed, but he did leave shortly after that. Details not for here.

I love Vance and no knock to him, but what has he done or shown to deserve Head Coach? and especially a team like The Denver Broncos. Dont you usually work your way through the ranks a little more?? unless your another coaches kid or brother of course.

I love Vance and no knock to him, but what has he done or shown to deserve Head Coach? and especially a team like The Denver Broncos. Dont you usually work your way through the ranks a little more?? unless your another coaches kid or brother of course.

I am a Dolphin's fan and am confused by this whole thing as well. Especially for a team like Denver. Miami's defense has been meh this year. Granted not all of that is VJ's fault, but still its not like that defense is top in the league. First year as a coordinator with mediocre results seems like a reach to me.

I am a Dolphin's fan and am confused by this whole thing as well. Especially for a team like Denver. Miami's defense has been meh this year. Granted not all of that is VJ's fault, but still its not like that defense is top in the league. First year as a coordinator with mediocre results seems like a reach to me.
Miami's D is ranked 29th. I think Denver interviewed him the last go round and were really impressed with him.

Miami's D is ranked 29th. I think Denver interviewed him the last go round and were really impressed with him.
Knew it was bad, didn't think it was that bad though. Surprising given they are 10-6. Anyway, in the NFL I would think actual results would matter a little more than a good interview, but that's just me.

I remember being similarly confused when Green Bay hired Mike McCarthy the year after presiding over the league's worst offense in 2005 with SF. Some guys are just good head coaches.

Knew it was bad, didn't think it was that bad though. Surprising given they are 10-6. Anyway, in the NFL I would think actual results would matter a little more than a good interview, but that's just me.
Honestly, I think it's starting to almost be the opposite. Yes, a coach still has to have success on the field but the X's and O's are not nearly as important for a Head Coach as leadership, communication, handling players, etc. Otherwise, guys like Chip Kelly, Mike McCoy, Rex Ryan, Norv Turner, Josh McDaniels, Wade Phillips, Steve Spagnuolo, Bill O'Brien, etc would be on the road to a HOF head coaching career, and the likes of Mike Tomlin (1 season as DC before becoming HC) and John Harbaugh (ST coordinator) would have never been given a shot. I don't think there's a recipe or blueprint to finding a top flight NFL head coach, and I definitely don't think elite success as a coordinator necessarily translates to being a great HC.

Honestly, I think it's starting to almost be the opposite. Yes, a coach still has to have success on the field but the X's and O's are not nearly as important for a Head Coach as leadership, communication, handling players, etc. Otherwise, guys like Chip Kelly, Mike McCoy, Rex Ryan, Norv Turner, Josh McDaniels, Wade Phillips, Steve Spagnuolo, Bill O'Brien, etc would be on the road to a HOF head coaching career, and the likes of Mike Tomlin (1 season as DC before becoming HC) and John Harbaugh (ST coordinator) would have never been given a shot. I don't think there's a recipe or blueprint to finding a top flight NFL head coach, and I definitely don't think elite success as a coordinator necessarily translates to being a great HC.
I can agree with what you are saying, but I'm still struggling to get my mind around how VJ matches that criteria. Technically, he has more pro experience than Tomlin did when he was promoted, but it still seems like a huge risk.

I can agree with what you are saying, but I'm still struggling to get my mind around how VJ matches that criteria. Technically, he has more pro experience than Tomlin did when he was promoted, but it still seems like a huge risk.
The rumor is that he would have Wade and McCoy with him as coordinators. That seems about as good as a head coach with no experience can get.

He's met and interviewed with Elway, Russell, Ellis, etc last year and they felt so good about him that they tried to make him their DC. He's a young, rising star in the NFL coaching ranks and I would feel much better about him being the selection than somebody else getting the job simply because he coordinated an elite offense or defense. At first, I wanted Shanahan as I think he's a dynamic playcaller, has created some great schemes against top defenses, and has shown that he is willing to adapt to his personnel. But then, as I thought about it more, that sounds more like an incredible OC than a HC.

In fairness, Miami's starting corners are Byron Maxwell, a second year Michigan State WR turned corner, and a Baylor rookie. Hard to do anything effectively with corners that bad/inexperienced.

If VJ is the guy, just think, maybe, just maybe, the local media will ask him about what he thinks of The Rise and the NewEra. We've all seen the ridiculous reverse of that with our coaches.

I've heard that people are impressed by how well he has dealt with some "different" personalities on that defense, such as Suh.

If VJ is the guy, just think, maybe, just maybe, the local media will ask him about what he thinks of The Rise and the NewEra. We've all seen the ridiculous reverse of that with our coaches.
I doubt the local media will give a rip about where he went to college.

Quick, without looking, where did Bill Belichek go to college?

I doubt the local media will give a rip about where he went to college.

Quick, without looking, where did Bill Belichek go to college?

Unless it's an institution in Colorado. Then they'll care. Otherwise, meh.

I looked:
Bill Belichick played football and lacrosse in high school and football, lacrosse and sqash ast Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut. His dad coached at Vanderbilt and then 34 years at the Naval Academy.

Unless it's an institution in Colorado. Then they'll care. Otherwise, meh.

I looked:
Bill Belichick played football and lacrosse in high school and football, lacrosse and sqash ast Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut. His dad coached at Vanderbilt and then 34 years at the Naval Academy.
That's the point - one of the greatest coaches of all time and you had to look up where he went to school...because no one cares. I doubt the media going to care VJ went to CU.

That's the point - one of the greatest coaches of all time and you had to look up where he went to school...because no one cares. I doubt the media going to care VJ went to CU.
It's already been discussed openly by some in the local media. The Matt Russell connection, in particular.

Was listening to someone from ESPN today thatnis heavily involved with the stats department. Asked about his biggest surprises of the year and he immediately said Miami because they have a bottom 3 roster in the league but somehow still made the layoffs. Have lots of love to gase and the coaching staff.

Back