What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

VB on the Road Fri at #25 Arizona Sunday @ RV Arizona State

buffgal

Club Member
Club Member
https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/17...-arizona-looking-to-even-conference-play.aspx

BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team finds themselves a pair of games below .500 in conference play as the team heads to Arizona this weekend for a matchup with Arizona at 8 p.m. Friday in Tucson, Arizona, and a matchup Sunday against Arizona State at 3 p.m. in Tempe.

This situation is familiar to the Buffs as they were in a similar situation last season on their way to Arizona. The Buffs last season were 2-4 in conference play when they went to Arizona. CU won both games on the road and sparked a 7-1 run in conference play last season. This season the Buffs are 3-5 and look to pull even in conference play as the conference season wraps up the first half of play.

CU is a team led by the leadership of upperclassmen, all of which continue to shine as the season ages. The senior captain Alexa Smith continues to lead the team in kills with 261 and digs with 195, though some of the pressure has come off her shoulders lately. Naghede Abu, who posted her 500th career block this past weekend, led the team against the Oregon schools with a combined 26 kills. On the other side, junior Rachel Whipple stepped up with 38 digs to jump into a tie with Smith at 195 this season.

The signs that the Buffs are improving are clear to see, especially after this past weekend when three CU players posted huge career-highs. Abu led the charge with a career-high in kills against #14 Oregon with 17. She also tied her points record with 20.5, a record that dates back to her sophomore season. The other kills career-high came from Anyse Smith who hit a team-high 18 kills against Oregon. Her 4.5 kills per set is the second-highest mark she has achieved.

The final record came from Whipple, who shattered her career-high in digs by six with 25. This is the first time in her career she has averaged more than six digs per set.

The Buffs are middle of the pack in the conference in most statistical categories, with the peak coming as the fourth-best team in the conference in blocks per set at 2.47. The team also is fifth in hitting percentage (.246) and kills (960) as well as total blocks (178). Those equate to the Buffs being top-50 in the nation in blocks per set and hitting percentage.

SCOUTING ARIZONA: The Wildcats are one of the strongest hitting team in the nation with 14.3 kills per set, the 12th-best mark in the nation. Arizona started the season off with an eight-match win streak and entered conference play 11-1 with the lone loss a five-set loss to New Mexico State on the road. As of recent, No.25 Arizona has lost its last four matches against four ranked teams in Washington, Washington State, USC and UCLA. The Wildcats have not won a match in October.

Kendra Dahlke leads the conference in attacks per set and is fourth in the nation with more than 13 swings per set. She also leads the conference with more than five kills per set and is third in the nation in that category. The setter Julia Patterson leads the conference with the most assists at 821. Middle Devyn Cross leads the team with 79 total blocks, more than the next two Wildcats combined.

Arizona has been struggling with injuries, as Dahlke was out Sunday against USC after suffering a concussion against UCLA. Another outside, Elizabeth Shelton has missed eight-straight matches with a concussion.

SCOUTING ARIZONA STATE: Arizona State has been one of the streakiest teams in the conference this season. The Sun Devils have swept ranked opponents Washington and Oregon as well as Oregon State, then on the other hand were swept by Arizona, Washington State and UCLA. The Sun Devils have a similar opponent in Wyoming, who they lost to in four sets in Laramie. The last time the Sun Devils were home they swept No.15 Washington.

The Sun Devils are second in the conference in digs per set and opponent hitting percentage. Much of that is due to Courtney Leffel who has 314 digs. She is joined by Megan Beedie with a .381 hitting percentage, good for second in the conference. Outside hitter Ivana Jeremic leads the team with 236 kills. Defensively Carmen Unzue and Beedie lead the team with 61 and 50 blocks, respectfully.

A few links for the matches. (And, of course - GO BUFFS!!!)

Match notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/10/16//2018_CU_Volleyball_Oct_16.pdf

Match Media links -
Vs. Arizona (Friday, 8:00 PM MT)
:
Live video - match is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, believe the match can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2018/10/19/colorado-arizona .
Link to link to Live stats (No direct link yet as I post this.) - https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2018/8/24/210276803.aspx

Vs. ASU (Sunday, 3:00 PM MT) :
Live video -
match is being shown live on the Pac 12 Arizona and Mountain channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of those Pac 12 channels, believe the match can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2018/10/21/colorado-arizona-state .
Live stats (Edit- original link I listed ended up being incorrect.) - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=234941

Note- If we see the wildcats in helmets, it would almost seem justified. Adding to what was in the Buffs preview quoted in the original post- from Arizona's preview for their matches this weekend (https://arizonawildcats.com/news/20...four-match-homestand-this-week-at-mckale.aspx) -
"
The Wildcats, who have lost four straight matches all vs. ranked teams, will look to get back on track this weekend. But to do that, UA needs to get healthy. Arizona's outside hitters have been ravaged by injuries, specifically concussions. The Pac-12 leader in kills, Kendra Dahlke, suffered a concussion at UCLA on Friday and is in concussion protocol this week. Paige Whipple, who's second on the team with 2.90 kills/set this year, returned last weekend after missing the previous two matches with a concussion. Elizabeth Shelton, who is fourth on the team, averaging 2.14 kills/set, suffered a concussion prior to the Arizona State match and has not played in a conference match this season. Katie Smoot, fifth on the team with 1.98 kills/set, suffered a torn abdomen muscle this season and continues to recover after missing five matches earlier this year.
"

Hope all the young women get healthy and have no long-term effects from any of this.

Last edited:
Buffs got down big (14-21), but have scored the last 4 to close within 3. Timeout az.

Buffs started this one out with a little lead (7-4), but from live states are having BIG trouble with a couple wildcats' serves.

Buffs lose what ends up being a tight 2nd set 23-25.

They got down pretty big midway through the set (9-15), stage a nice comeback to go up one (18-17), then go down 4 (19-23). They fought off a few match points before losing the set and going down 0-2 in sets. (I'm not able to watch this match, so can't say much as to what's happening.)

Need a comeback Buffs!

The 3rd set has been a close one, but az goes into the media timeout on a mini 3 point run and are up 13-15.

Looks like the Buffs have gone down 22-25 in the 3rd and 0-3 in sets.

Oh well- on to ASU to play what is probably a MUST WIN match on Sunday if the Buffs want to have ANY chance (barring MASSIVE improvement the 2nd half of Pac play) at earning an NCAA berth.

So many errors. Serving errors, hitting errors, blocking errors, shanked passes, overpasses basically handing Arizona freebies, I'd love to see them go back to playing the 5-1 with DiLuzio setting all around. She's better all-around right now than Ewert is. Take Spann out and let Anyse play on the left in the front row with a DS in for her in the back row. Spann makes so many errors in all aspects of the game and still, in her third year, thinks she can power the ball thru a big PAC12 block when what she needs to be doing almost all the time on the attack is going for the tool off the block. She seems to be so stubborn and doesn't learn from her mistakes. This is Anyse's first year playing so I have hopes that she can continue to improve; I've about given up on Justine.

Last edited:
I didn't see the match but I have also been wondering about why the team is playing the 6-2. The difference when Brynna is setting shows in the stats. She runs the system better.

Agree on the 5-1 thing. Don't like the 2 setter thing also need to find another outiside hitter then Spann, to short and too many errors. If she was nails with passing I could deal with her but she is not. Hopefully we have pac 12 outiside quality hitters coming into the program

Congrats to the team for a win in spite of missing of player or two! (Hope nothing going on too serious for Ms's. Deluzio and Dorrell, as I believe both missed their 1st matches of the year.)

Wasn't able to watch the match, but look like, per live stats, the block came out to PLAY today, as the Buffs had the big edge there (13-5).

Article on the win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/21/volleyball-buffs-turn-tides-against-sun-devils.aspx

"
TEMPE, Ariz. – Down a set on the road in a hostile environment and down seven points in the second set, the University of Colorado women's volleyball team sparked a 12-4 run to swing momentum and turn the tides their way in a four-set victory (21-25, 25-21, 25-22, 25-20) against Arizona State.

The Buffs dropped the first set and looked to still be struggling in the passing game halfway through the second set when the team was down seven points. After a timeout the Buffs began to claw their way back behind junior Justine Spann. The outside posted four kills in the 12-4 run and after that the Buffs were off and running in dominant fashion. The team posted six blocks in the third to assist hitting only nine kills in the set, then turned it around with 16 kills and a .500 hitting percentage in the fourth to finish off the Sun Devils.

Spann led the team in both kills and digs on her way to posting a double-double. She tallied 13 kills on 40 swings with only four errors, while she also had 13 digs on the defensive end and was a key to the passing game. Alexa Smith joined with a dozen kills and a pair of aces, while Anyse Smith had 10 kills and a .444 hitting percentage.

Colorado was without setter Brynna DeLuzio, giving the start to freshman Jenna Ewert in a 5-1 system for the first time in her career. The freshman stepped up to the task with a double-double 34 assists and 12 digs. She also led the team with a .455 hitting percentage with six kills. She added in four block assists to finish third on the team in that category.

Naghede Abu and Danielle Price anchored the front row that turned things around with six blocks in the third set. The duo combined for 13 total blocks, each posting a pair of solo blocks. In the back row, Rachel Whipple and Gabby Carta-Samuels traded off libero duties after the first set. Whipple finished with a dozen digs, while Carta-Samuels had 11.

The fourth set .500 hitting percentage was the second-high this season and the single hitting error that set is the lowest such mark for this season. This is first conference road victory for Colorado this season and their first away victory of the season with the other three victories coming in neutral-site matches.

QUOTABLES:

Head Coach Jesse Mahoney
On the change that happened midway through the second
"ASU is a really good team, to win on anyone's home court in this conference is hard to come by. They changed their lineup around a little bit so it took us a little while to get into the new patterns they were running. Midway through the second set we got a bead on what they were wanting to do offensively, and our passing got better as well as we made the switch to Gabby Carta-Samuels at libero. From that point on we played with a lot more poise and confidence which was good to see."

On Jenna Ewert running 5-1
"I thought Jenna had a really great match. She ran our offense well. We don't run the 5-1 very often and we don't practice the two-hitter rotations a ton but we do them enough in case this happens and I thought she did a nice job. She is a super athletic kid that plays big at the net so we don't lose anything on the defensive stand point. She was an offensive force as well with six kills and .455 as our leading attackers."

On the blocking in the third
"They run what we call a gap-go so they try to overload the right-front blocker and we struggled with it early on which is what allowed Alyse Ford to have as many kills as she had. Once we dialed into it there and then the rest of the match we had 13 total blocks it was just us being disciplined and being able to get over early. When Naghede can get over early she is going to block a ton of balls.

On Justine's play
"I thought J had a really nice match. First and foremost she passed really well, which doesn't show up on the stat sheet as much. She took some really smart swings. Her error rate was only 10 percent which is fantastic. She's a super athletic kid, when she's in front of the defensively she is going to make really great plays. It was good to see her play well in front of so many of her hometown fans."

UP NEXT: Colorado will host a pair of ranked teams in Washington and Washington State next weekend for homecoming. Washington State comes to town Friday at 7 p.m., while the Buffs play Washington at noon on Sunday.
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=11358

Note- Just a trivia point but, quoting a Volleytalk post (http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/75276/pac-12-week-6-2018), at the half-way point of the season, the Pac standings are symmetrical-
"
Stanford 10-0 OSU 0-10
USC 7-3 Cal 3-7
3 teams 6-4 3 teams 4-6
2 teams 5-5
"

Buffs were down 7 points in Set 2 and came back to win the set. Bet they heard it in the time out, but the Buffs listened and won. Ewert looked more comfortable as the match progressed.

I watched a lot of volleyball this weekend. Nebraska-Wisconsin and Nebraska-Minnesota for two matches. Nebraska lost both matches, the Wisconsin match went 5 sets. The level of volleyball played between two of the best teams in the country during a match is fun to watch. Long rallies.

Also watched Stanford-Oregon. Not the same level of play as Stanford was much better than Oregon.

So many errors. Serving errors, hitting errors, blocking errors, shanked passes, overpasses basically handing Arizona freebies, I'd love to see them go back to playing the 5-1 with DiLuzio setting all around. She's better all-around right now than Ewert is. Take Spann out and let Anyse play on the left in the front row with a DS in for her in the back row. Spann makes so many errors in all aspects of the game and still, in her third year, thinks she can power the ball thru a big PAC12 block when what she needs to be doing almost all the time on the attack is going for the tool off the block. She seems to be so stubborn and doesn't learn from her mistakes. This is Anyse's first year playing so I have hopes that she can continue to improve; I've about given up on Justine.
(Yeah, I know I'm replying to myself)
OK Justine, you got me. You played much better against ASU, starting with that huge turnaround from 7 points down in the second set and kept up your level of play thru the end of the match for the Buffs WIN. Much better on the passing, fewer hitting errors. All-around much better than the Friday match in Tucson. Of course, now I want to see that level of play from you more consistently. I know. I'm greedy.

Last edited:
CU received 6 votes in this week's poll of ranked teams.

I want this level of play also

Back