What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Verbal Commitments – 2012

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

The Colorado recruiting Class of 2012 has already begun to take shape. As a result, instead of waiting until December to begin this thread, we*will start early, expecting new names to be added to the list throughout the spring and summer.

Colorado Verbal Commitments – Class of 2012

Clay Norgard – DL/LB

Just the facts … Committed February 17th … Norgard is a defensive tackle who will likely be moved to linebacker in college. Norgard is from Mountain Vista high in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. Norgard is 6′2″, 245-pounds, runs a 4.8 in the 40, and carries a 3.3 GPA. Rivals bio*Scout bio*2010 YouTube highlight video

*What others say about Norgard … Norgard is not yet rated by either Scout or Rivals, but is likely to be a three- or four-star player when the ratings come out. As a junior, Norgard was one of only six juniors in the state to be named to the All-Colorado team. In 2010, Norgard had 100 tackles, including 26 for loss and 14 sacks – in ten games. As a sophomore in 2009, Norgard was an All-District player (the only sophomore named to the team), and was the only sophomore starter on his team. While a star along the defensive line in high school, Norgard will likely become a linebacker at Colorado. “I am not quite tall enough or heavy enough to be a top level defensive line recruit,” Norgard told BuffStampede.com. “But I am definitely fast enough and definitely strong enough, and I have good football instincts and know how to get to the ball at linebacker … I think linebacker is the perfect spot for me. I am working with my dad on improving my top end speed.” Norgard’s dad is a familiar name to Buff fans, as Erik Norgard played center at Colorado from 1985-88, and then in the NFL for 11 seasons. In college, the elder Norgard played with both Jon Embree and Eric Bieniemy.

Norgard had other offers from … A number of schools. Despite just completing his junior year,*there were a number of suitors for Norgard’s services. Arizona, Kansas State, Syracuse, Colorado State, Air Force and Wyoming had all been in touch with Norgard. Had he not committed so early, the number of offers would surely have increased. Less than two months ago, Norgard indicated that he felt his recruitment might take all summer. “My dad keeps telling me,” Norgard said in December, ” ‘As soon as you find the right school, you’ll know’ “. Apparently, Norgard found the right school after meeting with the new Colorado coaching staff. “I was thinking about playing it out, but I hadn’t felt the connection with any other school, any other coaching staff, like I have with CU,” said Norgard. “I didn’t get excited about playing football for any other school except for CU.”

In his own words … “I played strongside tackle so I would have a tackle in front of me, and usually I had a tight end and/or a pulling guard blocking me,” said Norgard of his junior season. “It was frustrating at first, but after watching the film, I realized that I was freeing up a lot of guys behind me … It gave me good practice because when you have three or four guys going against you, it is a lot of competition.” As Norgard projects as a linebacker in college, he may get to see more time at that spot in 2011. “I talked with my coach about*that I wanted to try out linebacker, and he thought that was a pretty good idea for me becuase I have gotten faster and I have good instincts,” said Norgard. “He said I am definitely going to be moved around, and not just play the strongside defensive tackle position … That way the other teams will have a harder time game planning against me.”

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to view the article.

Back