What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Verbal Commitments – 2012

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=4]*[/h] [h=2]DAVIEN PAYNE – RB[/h] Just the facts … Committed July 9th (though still not officially confirmed by either Rivals.com or*Scout.com)*… Payne is a running back prospect from Perrius, California. Payne is 6’0″, 212-pounds. Payne reportedly runs a 4.6 in the 40. Rivals bio*Scout bio*YouTube highlights
What others had to say about Payne … Payne is considered to be a three-star prospect by both Rivals and Scout. Payne is considered by Rivals to be the 48th-best running back in the nation; while Scout rates Payne to be the 34th-best running back in the nation. “Davien is a big, strong, downhill runner with real good agility and real good vision,” said Citrus Hill head coach Eric Zomalt. “He can hit it inside and outside. We knew early on when he joined our team that physically he can do some things.” Here’s what a Rivals scout had to say about Payne: “Payne is cut from a slightly larger mold than former Citrus Hill-great, Deontae Cooper (now a red-shirt freshman at Washington),*but the otherworldly production is still there. Payne rushed 318 times for 1,928 yards and 27 touchdowns last season. Some will say that Payne played against a lower level of competition, and while that’s true, there’s no doubting the talent this 5-foot-11, 215-pound back possesses. UCLA, Arizona State and Washington have offered, and USC is interested”.
Payne had other offers from … Nebraska, as well as from at least*five other Pac-12 schools, including both Washington schools, UCLA, and both Arizona schools. The leader, though, for Payne’s services, was Boise State. “Boise State is still my leader,”*Payne told BroncoCountry.com – um – the day he committed to Colorado. “They’re going to be tough to beat,” he added. “I was up there in April for the Junior Day. It was great,” said Payne. “I got to meet everyone, talk to the other RBs, and it just felt like my kind of environment. I could see myself out there.” While there has yet to be confirmation, the story is that Boise State, which already has three other commits from running backs (surprisingly enough, all from Texas), asked Payne to grey-shirt, and Payne didn’t want to wait another year to suit and play college football.
In his own words … “I started playing football in 8th grade was told I would never be good enough, make varsity, earn a scholarship, or anything like that” said Payne. “Well, now look at my offers and those that said that to me don’t have any. I’m obviously doing something right.”
[h=2]GERALD THOMAS – WR / KR[/h] Just the facts … Committed July 5th … Thomas is a wide receiver prospect from The Colony, Texas. Thomas is 5’10″, 175-pounds. Thomas reportedly runs a 4.37 in the 40.*Rivals bio*Scout bio
What others had to say about Thomas … Thomas is considered to be a three-star prospect by both Rivals and Scout. As a junior, caught 71 passes for 1,185 yards and 12 touchdowns. His 4.37 in the 40 was timed at TCU’s camp this summer. After the camp in Dallas, this is what PurpleMenace.com had to say about Thomas: “Gerald Thomas displayed plenty of speed*… He’s a Jeremy Kerley starter kit (Kerley was a star receiver for TCU in 2010, collecting 56 passes for 575 yards and ten touchdowns. Kerley also had 388 yards on punt returns and 527 yards returning kickoffs), not as bulky but a little taller and silky smooth in his route running. Prior to the start of camp, Thomas told Purplemenace.com that the coaches wanted to see how fast he could run. Thomas didn’t disappoint as he sprinted his way to a 4.37, good for third best on the day. He also had a 35-inch vertical, also one of the top numbers on the day. But, let’s get back to his route running. Thomas was the most impressive of the group. He did have a few drops, but there’s no denying that he has plenty of talent and could make a splash at TCU at the slot, ala Kerley. There’s a good reason eleven programs have offered The Colony receiver.”
Thomas had other offers from … at least ten other schools. From the Pac-12, there were offers from both of the Arizona schools. From the Big 12 came offers from Iowa State and Kansas. Iowa and Minnesota from the Big Ten had also extended offers. Only two weeks ago, Colorado was not in the mix. “My top three right now are Iowa, TCU, and Arizona,” Thomas told HawkeyeReport.com on June 14th. Then what happened? “I cut it down to four schools – Iowa, Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado – and then I eliminated two of them,” Thomas told BuffStampede.com upon his commitment. “I narrowed Iowa because I just didn’t want to live in Iowa, to be honest. I didn’t think it would be a good fit. And I narrowed Arizona State because they have four wide receiver commitments from my class already.
“So it was down to Arizona and Colorado. Both coaching staffs are awesome. I analyzed what each school had to give and I liked Colorado better. They have a brand new coaching staff. I talked with [Buffaloes wide receivers] coach [Bobby] Kennedy and he said I have a good chance to come in and play early my freshman year. He said I could make a difference in their program and help get the program back on track.”
In his own words … “My speed and quickness help separate me from the average high school receiver, and my competitiveness also separates me. I want to win every game,” Thomas told BuffStampede.com. “I want to go undefeated. I am great in one-on-one matchups and my route running has gotten a lot better since my sophomore year. “I used to play running back and I think that helps me as a receiver, too. After I catch the ball, I turn into a running back. I can make people miss in the open field. Every time I have the ball in my hands, I have a chance to score.”
Plus, Thomas won’t have to get used to a new set of school colors … “I was black and gold in middle school, black and gold in high school, and now in college,” Thomas told Scout.com. “Now I have to go on and play for the Saints, so I can keep it going!” Few Buff fans would be upset if, five years from now, Thomas is suiting up for the New Orleans Saints …

[h=2]GERRAD KOUGH – OL[/h] Just the facts …*Committed July 1st … Kough is an offensive line prospect from Pomona, California. Kough is 6’4″, 265-pounds. Rivals bio* Scout bio*YouTube highlights
What others had to say about Kough… Kough is considered a two-star prospect by Scout, and is not yet rated by Rivals. Kough plays tackle for Pomona, but is being recruited by Colorado to play guard.* Offensive coordinator and running backs coach Eric Bieniemy was responsible for Kough’s recruitment from the Buffaloes’ staff. Kough had also been in contact with head coach Jon Embree and offensive line coach Steve Marshall. Here is what an ESPN analyst had to say about Kough: “Kough is a tough run blocker who displays the upper body playing strength to dominate his present level of opponent. Has the size and athleticism for the offensive tackle position at the major level of competition. Will need to work on initial quickness and explosion as well as adding body mass to his frame. Playing out of a three point stance we detect some hip and ankle stiffness however it does not appear to affect his ability to play on his feet in space; comes off the ball aggressively but too high when establishing initial contact; does tend to narrow his base but is able to get movement and sustain due to his persistent leg drive. Flashes good pull around ability; we see the potential to set the edge and maintain leverage on “5″ technique defenders. With improved initial quickness and pad level we see the potential to consistently get a hat on active 1st and 2nd level defenders. Additional body mass along with the nasty finishing attitude this guy plays with, we see a lineman capable of making the necessary run blocks at the next level. Flashes nimble feet and along with his arm length and quick hands he should be an effective pass pro blocker. Shows the ability to quick set but must work on bend and balance; plays too high and gets caught up on his toes at times. Demonstrates good initial punch and placement, working to re-locate the hands inside the frame. Kough does not appear to be an immediate starter at the BCS level of play, rather a prospect in need of some time and perhaps a red shirt year to grow physically, improve his athleticism while polishing his technical skills.”
Kough had other offers from … only Army and Portland State. However, Kough was drawing interest from Arizona State, UCLA, Washington and Fresno State.
In his own words … “Colorado said they like me because I finish, I play through the whistle. And I have good feet, I can move,” Kough told BuffStampede.com. “I know*(red-shirt freshman) Jered Bell*who plays for Colorado so when Colorado offered me, I looked it up and that pretty much sold me. Colorado is going into a new conference and they seem like an up-and-coming team, like they are about to win. And Colorado seems like a nice place with a good environment. I am going to take a visit out there soon and I can’t wait.”
[h=2]JEFFREY THOMAS – WR[/h] Just the facts … Committed June 18th … Thomas is a wide receiver prospect from Duncanville, Texas. Thomas is 6’3″, 180-pounds, and runs a 4.66 in the 40. Rivals bio*Scout bio*YouTube video highlights
What others say about Thomas … Thomas is considered by both Rivals and Scout*to be a three-star prospect. Scout rates Thomas to be the 77th-best wide receiver in the nation. At the Oklahoma Sooners camp last week, the SoonerScoop.com had this to say: “Thomas*is 6-foot-4, and 180-pounds and … does a great job of shielding defenders from the ball. He’ll need to add a lot of weight to his frame before he is truly ready for the college game but it doesn’t change that he is a future difference maker in college.”**As a junior in 2010, Thomas was a big part of the Duncanville offense. He hauled in 21 passes for 364 yards and scored eight touchdowns. Despite missing part of the season with a knee injury, Thomas was named first-team all-district.
This spring, Thomas was one of the top performers at the Fort Worth NIKE Training Camp in April, and he won the Overall MVP at the National Underclassmen Combine in Dallas in March.
Here’s what Orangebloods.com’s scout had to say about Thomas: “I don’t know why things haven’t completely come together for the 6-3, 180-pound Thomas because he’s a guy that at his best has some absolute star upside as a receiver. Obviously, the kid has size, but he’s a guy that has flashed really good ball skills and big-play upside in his time at Duncanville. What you like about Thomas a big-play receiver is that he can stretch the field and go up to get the football. But he also has a little shake and bake after the catch that makes him a difficult player to defend in space. The knock on Thomas is that he’s not a burner and it’s fair to say that he’ll have average speed as a college receiver. Also, despite the flashes of above-average skill, he was the No.3 wide receiver for Duncanville, so he hasn’t been able to put together a complete season that would secure a higher spot in the rankings. At this point, he’s a work in progress, but there’s a lot there to work with. When we talk about three star prospects with four-star upside, he’s a perfect example.”
Thomas had other offers from … a number of schools, but only*one other (to date) from BCS conferences, Iowa State. Thomas did also hold offers from schools like Boise State, Memphis, Tulsa, Wyoming and North Texas. Thomas had attracted attention from Georgia, Cal, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Texas A&M. The danger here for Colorado is that if any of the bigger Big 12 schools do offer Thomas, that he may decide to stay closer to home, with more games in front of friends and family (though it should be noted that Thomas does also have family in the San Francisco area).
In his own words … Colorado used wide receivers coach Bobby Kennedy’s seven years of service as the recruiting coordinator at Texas to its advantage. “I met (coach Kennedy) at a Texas camp and when he changed schools he kept up with me,” Thomas told BuffStampede.com. “He came out to spring ball (in May)*and offered me on the spot. I was excited about that.”
Thomas said he’s intrigued by Colorado and the prospect of playing in the Pac-12. He also likes the idea of playing in a pro-style offense.*”I think my biggest strength is my ability to go up and make plays, I’d consider myself a physical receiver and I definitely like to use my size and strength to my advantage,”* Thomas told the OldCoach.com, who says he wants to improve his straight line speed and his route running this summer.
“Out of all the schools that I talked to and possibly could get an offer from, Colorado just had everything right to offer and I see no downside to it. Now was a better time than ever,” Thomas told BuffStampede.com. “When I committed, I talked to every coach on their staff and they all loved me and can’t wait to get me out there. They were excited. I haven’t visited yet, but I am going to take a trip real soon.” Thomas grew up in the Richmond area of Northern California. He moved to the Lone Star State prior to seventh grade. “I have a lot of family still out there in California and they can come see me play in the Pac-12,” Thomas said. “I wanted to play in the Pac-12 my whole life. Knowing that I am going to play against USC and Oregon and all those schools, it is just great.”
[h=2]TERRENCE CROWDER – RB[/h] Just the facts … Committed June 13th … Crowder is a running back prospect from Galena Park, Texas. Crowder is 5’10″, 212-pounds, and runs a 4.48 in the 40. Rivals bio*YouTube highlight video
What others say about Crowder … Crowder is not rated by either Rivals or Scout (in fact, as of his commitment dated, did not even show up in Scout.com’s database). In his junior year, Crowder rushed for 1,338 yards and 15 touchdowns, helping his team to a 7-4 record. Crowder was*named first-team all-district in his junior season.*”Terrence is a big kid at 5-foot-10, 212-pounds and he is extremely strong,” Ray Zepeda, Crowder’s high school coach, told BuffStampede.com. “He is a 315-pound bench presser. And his ability to run through tackles and combine that with a little bit of shiftiness as well, a little bit of a burst, it is a combination that you don’t see in too many big backs. He can get around the corner when he has to but obviously his natural strength is getting his pads turned north and south and getting vertical. But he does have the burst and the top-end speed to get away from people and run around the corner as well and I think that is what makes him an attractive Division-1 running back recruit.”
Crowder had other offers from … only a handful of schools. Crowder did have scholarship offers from Texas-San Antonio, North Texas, and Louisiana-Lafayette, though Crowder’s coach believed that other offers were imminent. “He had some other offers and he is still getting a lot of attention from some of the Big 12 schools without a formal offer,” said Zepeda. “I know that Nevada was real interested in him as well. He is a kid that rushed for 1,300 yards and 15 touchdowns. We have a pretty good amount of coaches that come through our campus each year but in particular, we had quite a few this spring come through and I think that they were very pleased with what they saw in Terrence, both on film and in person. His stock is rising. I think that Colorado got in there early to their benefit and I think that has a lot to do with the decision that he has made. I think that he would have seen quite a few more offers come through for him, especially as we got closer to his senior season.”
In his own words … “Colorado said they love the way I run the ball,” Crowder told BuffStampede.com*just before he committed. “They think I could be someone that could come in and help lead them to being a dominant team in the Pac-12 … I am an up-field runner. I don’t run to the side, but rather between the tackles and up the field.*I am working on my blocking right now because my coaches said that is something I need to improve on.”
[h=2]SHANE DILLON – QB[/h] Just the facts … Committed May 12th … Dillon is a quarterback from El Cajon, California. Dillon is 6’5″, 185-pounds, and can run a 4.6 in the 40. Rivals bio*Scout bio**You Tube highlights from Dillon’s junior year
What others say about Dillon … Dillon is considered a three-star quarterback prospect by Scout,*is listed as a member of the Scout 300 nationally, and is rated as the No. 16 pro-style quarterback prospect in the country. Rivals rates Dillon as a four-star prospect, and has Dillon listed amongst its Top 250 nationally (No. 227). In its rankings, Rivals has Dillon*as its 8th-highest rated pro-style quarterback, and*11th-rated quarterback overall.
In 2010, Dillon threw for 2,978 yards and 19 touchdowns with 14 interceptions. A Scout.com player evaluation*by Scott Kennedy notes that Dillon is tall and still thin, but has a quick release and a live arm. Despite his lack of overall size, Dillon shows toughness and the ability to stand tall in the pocket. “He’s not a zone-read guy. He’s a drop-back, sling it guy,” Christian offensive coordinator and athletic director David Beezer recently told AztecSportsReport.com, which is part of the Rivals.com network. “He manages games well, he’s excellent in the two-minute drill and he’s a team leader.”
Dillon had other offers from … a good number of schools, including Arizona, Cincinnati, Florida State, Ohio State, and Vanderbilt. Dillon has been making the rounds this spring, including a trip to Boulder in April. “It was my first trip to Colorado and I loved it. It was cool,” Dillon told BuffStampede.com on April 22nd. “[Colorado quarterbacks] coach [Rip] Scherer told me I was definitely a guy they would offer straight up just from watching my film, but they wanted to get me out there to talk to me in person. I took the trip out there with my dad and my brother and they offered. I loved the campus at Colorado. I love that it is a compact campus right by the mountains. It is beautiful. And [Buffs head] coach [Jon] Embree is way cool. He gave us a great tour. He made us feel like we were part of the family. So that was really great.”

[h=2]TYLER HENINGTON – DT[/h] Just the facts … Committed March 23rd – Henington is a defensive tackle prospect from Mullen high in Denver, Colorado. Henington is 6’3″, 260-pounds. Rivals bio*Scout bio *
What others say about Henington … Henington is not yet rated by either Rivals or Scout. When the Rivals Top 15 players in the State of Colorado came out, Henington was ranked as the No. 9 prospect in the state. Henington is rated as the fourth-best in-state prospect by ColoradoPrepReport.com. In 2010, Henington had 114 tackles and a team-high 11 sacks for undefeated state champions. “He was all-Conference (as a junior)”, Mullen assistant coach Zach Morris told GoldandGreenNews.com. “He has great get-off and explosiveness. He was great at the nose guard position. He was kind of our anchor (in 2010). He is a two-year starter. (Last fall) he probably got overshadowed by three great linebackers (including Brady Daigh, who signed with Colorado), so (this fall) he’ll have to be the man.” Henington is a three-sport athlete who also competes in wrestling and track and field. Henington’s father, Troy,*played defensive tackle at Texas Tech, and his mother ran track for the Red Raiders. Henington’s grandfather played collegiately at New Mexico, and was drafted by the NFL.
Henington’s high school coach is former Buff All-American Dave Logan. “He is a very good player with a tremendous upside,” Logan told BuffStampede.com. “He started from Day One as a sophomore (for two undefeated state champions), and that’s unusual to find. He has gotten better every year, and I think this will be his best year … He’s very athletic for his size. He runs well. I think Colorado got themselves a really good football player that is going to get better and better.” Logan expects Henington will play at around 270 pounds in 2011. “He’s very, very active,” said Logan. “He has good football smarts. He grew up in a football family. He’s a good student and a good kid off the field as well. He’s got a really bright future.”
PrepColorado.com is equally impressed with Henington. “Review of Henington’s game reveals a player that has the ability to move around the defense,” wrote Jeff Stroud. “This potential diversity could allow Henington to stay on the field in odd and even defensive fronts. In each spot, the successful high school wrestler uses leverage and good hand work to take on blockers and make tackles or create opportunities for tackles. The most intriguing aspect of Henington’s game is his ability to get a pass rush from across the defensive line. Although very strong against the run, Henington uses a good first step and a nonstop motor to get push and go after the passer.”
Henington had other offers from … no other schools, at least none which are listed.*Colorado State, Utah, Indiana, Michigan, Syracuse, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Oregon all showed some form of early recruiting interest in Henington.*Henington was*all-Conference and an honorable mention all-state as a junior, and*was a fixture on a defense which was not only*undefeated, but gave up only 6.4 points per game. His 114 tackles and*team-leading 11 sacks were all but certain to lead to multiple*Division-1A offers. They still may come, but with Henington’s*early commitment, they might not be as numerous*as they might have otherwise been.
In his own words … *”I’ve always wanted to go to CU,” Henington told the Denver Post. “My dad’s had a CU hat on me since I was five.” Henington was offered a scholarship before the start of spring practice, and had the opportunity to meet with coaches and watch practice. “I really liked what I saw,” said Henington. “I talked with (defensive line) coach (Mike) Tuiasosopo and (defensive coordinator Greg) Brown, and head coach (Jon) Embree, and they’re all great guys, and it seems like it’s going to be a great program.” As to his abilities, “I have good genes so I have good speed and good quickness,”*Henington told BuffStampede.com. “I need to work on my technique and my strength. I am wrestling right now and as soon as that is over, I am going to really hit the weights hard and get as strong as I can for my senior year.”
TYLER HENINGTON UPDATE: (5/8/11)
- Henington, a 6’3″, 265-pound defensive tackle from Mullen high in Denver, is comfortable with his commitment to Colorado. “I talked to my parents and I knew it was the right move,” said Henington. “My dad and I have always been CU fans. I talked with my Mullen coaches. CU is a great school, and I decided to commit early and save myself a spot. I can concentrate on my season and not be stressed about recruiting.”
Henington is projected to play on the interior of the defensive line, and that is not a problem for the third generation Division 1 football player. “Coach (Mike Tuiasosopo) said I’ll be an inside guy, and that’s where I feel most comfortable,” Henington told BuffStampede.com. “I’m a little to big to be a defensive end, and I feel more comfortable taking up space inside … When I went up for (spring practices), I could see coach Tua is a great coach and a great guy. He’s not out there cussing at you. He tells you what you need to know, and also gets you fired up. I’m excited to play for him.”
Henington said he will spend his senior year working on improving his overall strength and his pass rushing skills. “I can’t say enough about coach Logan,” Henington said. “When it comes to football, that guy is a genius. It shows with three state titles and we’re trying for four.”

[h=2]BENJAMIN CATALON – RB – (Decommitted May 12th – committed to TCU)[/h] Just the facts … Committed March 14th … Catalon is a running back prospect from Westside high in Houston, Texas. Catalon is 5’8″, 185-pounds, runs a 4.4 in the 40, reports a 3.5 GPA and plans on graduating early so as to enroll for classes in the spring of 2012. His given name is Benjamin, but he usually goes by the nicknames “Dan” or “D.J.”. * Rivals bio*Scout bio* YouTube videos (multiple)*
What others say about Catalon … Catalon is considered to be a three-star prospect by Scout, and is not yet rated by Rivals.* Texags, a Texas A&M site affiliated with ESPN, rates Catalon as the 10th-best running back out of the state of Texas in the Class of 2012, and one of its top 84 players. Catalon was named his District’s Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore in 2009, when he rushed for 253 yards and four touchdowns on only 18 carries (14.1 yards per carry). Catalon also had eight receptions as a sophomore, going for two more scores (and a 21.6 yards per catch average). As a junior, Catalon finished with 115 carries for 1,116 yards and 14 touchdowns, adding 245 yards and a touchdown on 12 receptions.
Catalon had other offers from … Missouri and Baylor had already offered, and Catalon had interest from a number of Big 12 schools, as well as USC and Oregon from the Pac-12. Catalon went to the junior days at both TCU and Baylor in the two weekends before making his commit to Colorado. Catalon*committed early, but seems comfortable with his commit. “I’m very strong to Colorado,” Catalon told SuperPrep.com. “I can’t think*of another school taking their place, but I am still going to be listening to other schools and what their coaches have to tell me.” Catalon has committed to Colorado, even though he has never been to Boulder. “I will get to watch their spring game”, Catalon told BuffStampede.com. “I have had family that has been out there to visit. I have also had teachers that have been out there. Everyone says it is great; they all really liked the area. So I know I am going to like it, too.” Catalon was not only willing to commit to Colorado sight unseen, but he has plans on getting up to Boulder as soon as possible. “I am going to graduate from high school early, so all along I wanted to figure out where I was going to go to for college before the summer started. I will enroll at Colorado next January.”
In his own words … “I can catch the ball out the backfield pretty well,” said Catalon. “I have good vision and quickness. Those things separate me, as well as my acceleration.” As to his choice of schools, Catalon said, ” Colorado has a lot to offer. Their program seems to have a lot of support. They have a new coaching staff. They are switching to a new conference. They definitely seem like they are on the rise. I also like that they are good academically.”

[h=2]CLAY NORGARD – DL/LB[/h] Just the facts … Committed February 17th … Norgard is a defensive tackle who will likely be moved to linebacker in college. Norgard is from Mountain Vista high in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. Norgard is 6’2″, 245-pounds, runs a 4.54 in the 40, and carries a 3.3 GPA. Rivals bio*Scout bio*2010 YouTube highlight video
*What others say about Norgard … Norgard is not yet rated by either Scout or Rivals, but is likely to be a*four-star player when the ratings come out. When the Rivals top 15 prospect*rating for the state of Colorado were announced, Norgard was listed as the No. 6 prospect*in the state. As a junior, Norgard was one of only six juniors in the state to be named to the All-Colorado team. In 2010, Norgard had 100 tackles, including 26 for loss and 14 sacks – in ten games. As a sophomore in 2009, Norgard was an All-District player (the only sophomore named to the team), and was the only sophomore starter on his team. While a star along the defensive line in high school, Norgard will likely become a linebacker at Colorado. “I am not quite tall enough or heavy enough to be a top level defensive line recruit,” Norgard told BuffStampede.com. “But I am definitely fast enough and definitely strong enough, and I have good football instincts and know how to get to the ball at linebacker … I think linebacker is the perfect spot for me. I am working with my dad on improving my top end speed.” Norgard’s dad is a familiar name to Buff fans, as Erik Norgard played center at Colorado from 1985-88, and then in the NFL for 11 seasons. In college, the elder Norgard played with both Jon Embree and Eric Bieniemy.
Norgard had other offers from … A number of schools. Despite just completing his junior year,*there were a number of suitors for Norgard’s services. Arizona, Kansas State, Syracuse, Colorado State, Air Force and Wyoming had all been in touch with Norgard. Had he not committed so early, the number of offers would surely have increased. Less than two months ago, Norgard indicated that he felt his recruitment might take all summer. “My dad keeps telling me,” Norgard said in December, ” ‘As soon as you find the right school, you’ll know’ “. Apparently, Norgard found the right school after meeting with the new Colorado coaching staff. “I was thinking about playing it out, but I hadn’t felt the connection with any other school, any other coaching staff, like I have with CU,” said Norgard. “I didn’t get excited about playing football for any other school except for CU.”
In his own words … “I played strongside tackle so I would have a tackle in front of me, and usually I had a tight end and/or a pulling guard blocking me,” said Norgard of his junior season. “It was frustrating at first, but after watching the film, I realized that I was freeing up a lot of guys behind me … It gave me good practice because when you have three or four guys going against you, it is a lot of competition.” As Norgard projects as a linebacker in college, he may get to see more time at that spot in 2011. “I talked with my coach about*that I wanted to try out linebacker, and he thought that was a pretty good idea for me becuase I have gotten faster and I have good instincts,” said Norgard. “He said I am definitely going to be moved around, and not just play the strongside defensive tackle position … That way the other teams will have a harder time game planning against me.”
CLAY NORGARD UPDATE: (5/8/11)
- BuffStampede.com is reporting that Norgard ran a 4.54 in the 40 this past weekend. It has been decided that Norgard will play middle linebacker for Mountain Vista high this fall. Norgard remains solidly a Buff (see bio, below). “When you go to college, nobody is going to care what other offers you had in high school,” said Norgard. “What matters is what you do when you get there. I am staying strong with CU. And I am going up there early (next January), so it is good that I made my decision early.”
Norgard is spending his spring trying to qualify for the Colorado state tournment in both shot put and discus. “I am pretty much locked in right now to go state for both shot put and discus,” said Norgard. “I am sixth in the shot and 11th in the discus, and you need to be in the top 18 to qualify for state.”
Norgard was impressed with Jon Embree’s speech to in-state recruits during the Spring game weekend. “I think he had to have inspired some of the other in-state guys, because I was getting chills listening to Coach Embree talk,” said Norgard. “He told us that it is our program because it is in our home state. I believe that 100 percent.” For his part, Norgard is turning his attention to trying to bring in other recruits to play with him in Boulder. “A lot of the other in-state recruits are my friends, like Evan Baylis (who has since committed to Oregon) and Shane Callahan,” said Norgard. “They are getting all the attention and offers, and that is good for them.”

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

Back