What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Video board

you should be worried about the train being run on your mom

Ralph Wiggum wants in on that
choo-front-pre.png

and yes, we are in desperate need of new video boards. I remember when that sound system and video boards went up in 1995 ( I think). **** was state of the art.

Still amazed Stanford completed the entire stadium renovation in a single offseason. I was at the Cal/Stanford game the year before and they literally had bulldozers parked outside the stadium ready to tear it apart as soon as the season ended. Goes to show you that you don't need a decade to make some major strides in facilities if you have the money.

and yes, we are in desperate need of new video boards. I remember when that sound system and video boards went up in 1995 ( I think). **** was state of the art.

I'm pretty sure the video boards did not go up in 1995. I started school in 1996 and I don't they they had video boards for at least 3 or 4 years after that.

was it amazing watching the stanford tree mascot? that thing is awesome.

The dancing tree is amazing. Truly. And what I did not know was that they get a brand new dancing tree every year! WOW!

The current boards went up in 1998, my freshman year and they had a useful life of 10 yrs according to the 2001 master plan so we are already running on borrowed time.

The current boards went up in 1998, my freshman year and they had a useful life of 10 yrs according to the 2001 master plan so we are already running on borrowed time.

sounds about right: 98 or 99 (i would have guessed 99). i remember because a buddy of mine (CU alum) was visiting Boulder and we were on campus when they were mounting the south board with a crane. we stood and watched for a bit. the other times i've seen him since were in Cali.

I remember a while back, every so often the PA system would let loose with some awesome screeching mic feedback. So at least we don't have that anymore!

Who remembers the damn bullhorn speakers mounted on poles that blocked your view?

I remember them well. In the 1986 CU/NU game, there were students up on the railings swinging those things back and forth. It was epic.

It brings up a good point, though. I'm not sure how to upgrade the PA system in the stadium without doing something similar to that. The big ass speakers mounted on the top of the Dal Ward Center are ear splitting for anybody who sits North of the 40 yard line. Something needs to be done so everybody in the stadium can hear the PA announcer without having his/her eardrums shattered. I don't know how to do that.

I remember them well. In the 1986 CU/NU game, there were students up on the railings swinging those things back and forth. It was epic.

It brings up a good point, though. I'm not sure how to upgrade the PA system in the stadium without doing something similar to that. The big ass speakers mounted on the top of the Dal Ward Center are ear splitting for anybody who sits North of the 40 yard line. Something needs to be done so everybody in the stadium can hear the PA announcer without having his/her eardrums shattered. I don't know how to do that.

Make them similar to stanfords, on the North East and West sides we have boxes/building to mount them to. On the south side put them up on poles at the top of the stands, where the flag poles are mounted.

We've talked about it before, but holy **** both of those are pieces of crap.

I don't remember them failing so bad, but the green line on the north one and the moving black boxes on the south one were total amateur hour during the WSU game.

When are they replacing those ****ers? They might not even work by next year.
Video boards ruin the experience. Ask any Texas fan.

No joke. The gian board is distracting, too loud and full of commercials. That's not college football.

No one says we have to have a huge board like that one, but I would like to have some functioning video boards to watch replays of key plays and what not. I do not think that takes away from the college football experience whatsoever. In fact, it enhances it.

No joke. The gian board is distracting, too loud and full of commercials. That's not college football.

I'll agree with that - went to last year's Okie Lite game for Veteran's Day celebration. Sat in end zone facing Godzillatron - before too long, I wasn't watching the action on the field, I was watching TV. Glad I didn't pay for those tickets.

I couldn't agree more. The band barely plays because they have to be quiet to let the commercials run between every play, and it is very distracting. You see 5 times more commercials at the game than you do if you watch the game on TV. It's really killed the atmosphere too - DKR Texas Memorial Stadium is no longer a tough place to play because 80% of the fans aren't even watching the field.

No one says we have to have a huge board like that one, but I would like to have some functioning video boards to watch replays of key plays and what not. I do not think that takes away from the college football experience whatsoever. In fact, it enhances it.

Agreed. The video boards at Stanford were very nice. I think we could do something like that, maybe a smidge bigger as Stanford has a more compact stadium.

The more modest video board that SMU has installed looks great. 32' x 45' . Crystal clear HD. $900K from Daktronics.

Not too big as to overwhelm the stadium, like the 55.5' x 134' Godzillatron does at DRKM.

Something like SMU's videoboard would look great on top of the Dal. Put an other matching board on the top of the south stands.

ford-stadium.ashx

2bfeb581.jpg

scoreboard.jpg

Scoreboard1-thumb-250x129-83870.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want the Godzillatron that blocks out any view of the campus or mountains while sitting on the east side, but I don't think it is too much to ask for a video board with a picture clear enough to actually tell who had the ball on a replay.

Godzillatron at 2010 CU game

godzillatron.jpg

Have you ever been in a small apartment and there is a 50" hd taking up the whole livingroom? Sitting on the couch is kind of like being in the front row of the movie theater...UT is like that guy.

South end zone video board needs to be installed with thought to the fact that if stadium expansion comes, the second level will go up higher to be on an equal plane as the 2nd level on the east side.

thank god for acoustical engineers...

South end zone video board needs to be installed with thought to the fact that if stadium expansion comes, the second level will go up higher to be on an equal plane as the 2nd level on the east side.
Honestly don't see a south side expansion. I dont there is enough room between the street and folsom to put up an expansion that size to match the second tier on the east side. Could put in more seats, but I dont think they will be able to match the size

Honestly don't see a south side expansion. I dont there is enough room between the street and folsom to put up an expansion that size to match the second tier on the east side. Could put in more seats, but I dont think they will be able to match the size

I'm ok with no south side expansion. Part of the allure of seats in Folsom is a view of the flatirons...

Last edited:
I'm ok with no south side expansion. Part of the allure of seats in Folsom is a view of the flatirons...

The south side already has a sizable scoreboard. It would look cheap if only the north were upgraded.

The south board doesn't need to be the exact same size as the one in the north. Keep it the same height, but it could be much wider...without compromising the view of the Flatirons.

VSDBWWBDQQCUSOZ.20100503230612.jpg

Back