What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Vigo to grayshirt

Saw that. From a schollie stand point, I'm really not sure how this helps. Seems like the Buffs had one left over from the '08 class, and the grayshirt means Vigo will count against '09.

Saw that. From a schollie stand point, I'm really not sure how this helps. Seems like the Buffs had one left over from the '08 class, and the grayshirt means Vigo will count against '09.

Maybe we have a secret weapon.

If the reason is related to scholarship limits, that means they reached the 85 limit without him. Another reason would be a personal choice on his part.

I haven't figured out whether a grayshirt extends a player's career, since the eligibility clock starts ticking at some point (although it may). However, he will have the benefit of two semesters with the team, a fairly long period to adjust, which may eliminate the need for a redshirt year.

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this. I wonder if Vigo's on-again off-again commitment is indicative of something. They may not have wanted to include him in this class -- something about meeting their quota of LBS, perhaps?

BTW -- the 25 yearly limit (24 for CU right now), is not the problem, it's the 85 total limit.

Who knows? I always viewed the big reason for grayshirting, aside from the scholarship numbers, is for a kid to mature a bit more and also have a spring practice before his first year.

If the reason is related to scholarship limits, that means they reached the 85 limit without him. Another reason would be a personal choice on his part.

I haven't figured out whether a grayshirt extends a player's career, since the eligibility clock starts ticking at some point (although it may). However, he will have the benefit of two semesters with the team, a fairly long period to adjust, which may eliminate the need for a redshirt year.

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this. I wonder if Vigo's on-again off-again commitment is indicative of something. They may not have wanted to include him in this class -- something about meeting their quota of LBS, perhaps?

BTW -- the 25 yearly limit (24 for CU right now), is not the problem, it's the 85 total limit.

The clock starts ticking when they enroll in school regardless if they play or not. So his 5 year clock will start in January same as any other January enrollee.

The clock starts ticking when they enroll in school regardless if they play or not. So his 5 year clock will start in January same as any other January enrollee.

Thanks, that would mean they do get more time because a Jan.- to - Jan. year would only have one football season in it and that would give him a 2009-13 five year eligibility calendar -- which is what I thought. He also gets the two full semesters to work with the team; spring & summer. And he may still make use of his redshirt year to start.

More athletes should take advantage of the grayshirt, it gives them a much longer adjustment period and a chance to develop.

Thanks, that would mean they do get more time because a Jan.- to - Jan. year would only have one football season in it and that would give him a 2009-13 five year eligibility calendar -- which is what I thought. He also gets the two full semesters to work with the team; spring & summer. And he may still make use of his redshirt year to start.

More athletes should take advantage of the grayshirt, it gives them a much longer adjustment period and a chance to develop.

Most kids going to D1 schools probably have too big of egos to see the advantage.

Back