What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Volleyball NCAA speculation

BeBe

Club Member
Club Member
Some interesting developments this weekend:

Denver just won their conference tourney so gains the automatic bid for the Summit conference.

Northern Colorado also has won their conference tourney for the automatic bid for the Big Sky conference.

Then you have our Buffs who will surely be selected as an at-large bid team.

Add in Colorado State having won the MWC and having an rpi that likely puts them in the top 16 teams and so gain the right to host rounds 1 and 2 of the tourney.

The 4 teams all are from different conferences. So could we be looking at a "front range" sub-regional hosted by CSU at Moby? Especially since one of the things the VB committee takes into consideration is trying to minimize travel. Or would this be such an obvious choice that the committee couldn't possibly do it??

They could do it and that will make it very difficult for CU to get out of Moby alive. Yes, the committee does try to minimize travel in volleyball.

Thanks for the news. Hadn't heard that.

For what it's worth, here's the volleytalk thread on the topic- http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/56503/all-colorado-subregional?page=1 .

Of course, like most threads the conversation deviates, but the consensus seems to be it's likely all 4 Colorado teams might end up together. If it's between the Buffs playing Denver or No. Colorado vs. having to play a VERY high quality team like BYU in the 1st round, I'm all for it. (BYU was the guessed 1st round opponent for the Buffs in a volleytalk thread last week, but obviously that was before the tournament wins by the local schools.) BYU currently has a projected RPI of 15, so the Buffs would I assume be underdogs in a match against them. Of course, I assume they were also underdogs against Iowa State last year, and took care of business, so am sure they aren't afraid of either scenario. (This is also of course where playing in a conference like the Pac 12 pays dividends.)

How did CU end up in Minneapolis last year? Not that I minded because I took a snowy drive up I-35 and watched them beat Iowa State in 5 sets.

CSU lost a match late in the season and their rpi fell so that they were below the top 16 that get to host. And no other hosting school within the 400 mile radius of Boulder. So then the committee seems to have a handful of schools to place wherever and I'm guessing they look for schools that are hosting that don't have a full complement of teams within that magic distance. They clearly do not make an attempt to rank all 64 teams (like the BB NCAAs do) and assign teams to sites based on that ranking..

Thanks BeBe. I do remember now that CSU did not host last year because of a late bad loss.

Back