What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Walters to 'braska?

Concern is justified, for sure. However, we should wait and see how this DC hire plays out before passing judgment on HCMM's ability to replace coaches. Regardless of how long it has taken, if it ends up being the right guy, my concern is alleviated.

Sure, they may end up with a good DC at the end of the day which is the important thing, but losing out on your first couple choices is concerning when this situation comes up again in the future. Heck, we apparently had an alum turn us down very publicly for a S&C role.

Sure, they may end up with a good DC at the end of the day which is the important thing, but losing out on your first couple choices is concerning when this situation comes up again in the future. Heck, we apparently had an alum turn us down very publicly for a S&C role.

We do not know what happened here other than the situation went as quiet as the DC job.

1) He said no, because he would have to give up on the business he started.
2) We said no after the twitter crap. Decided it wasn't worth it.
3) Negotiations still on going, but AD told him to shut up.

More concerning is the DC Alum who turned us down to instead be the DC at TTU. Siting family reasons to staying in Texas is fine, but it still hurts to miss on Gibbs.

If Walters joins Riley at UN, I can't really be upset. Walters is looking to be an OC and I am pretty sure that is not happening at CU, not while Lindgren is here. Now if Walters does leave, HCMM needs to go after Chiaverini ASAP. Bring him in and get Brown to come with him.

Quite a statement given the facts that we are actually privy to.

CU is a 2nd tier P5 program. They're always going to lose out on their first choice or two. It happened in the head coaching search 2 years ago, it's happening with the DC search now, and it's been happening with recruits for almost a decade (not included Darrell Scott)

CU is a 2nd tier P5 program. They're always going to lose out on their first choice or two. It happened in the head coaching search 2 years ago, it's happening with the DC search now, and it's been happening with recruits for almost a decade (not included Darrell Scott)

And that's ok with you? I understand the position we're in, but you don't bring guys in for interviews and offer them jobs if you expect them to say no.

And that's ok with you? I understand the position we're in, but you don't bring guys in for interviews and offer them jobs if you expect them to say no.

It's not OK with me, but it is what it is. There's nothing we as fans can do about it, and quite frankly, not a whole lot more HCMM and RG can do about it either. They can throw all the money they want at their top choices and give a 3 year deal but they can't force anyone to accept the job.

Also, Gibbs and Durkin were the only two that we know of that were interview and offered, correct? And some people have even said Durkin was never interviewed and that he basically laughed at the proposition. Regardless, I like CU reaching high for candidates, but Durkin was well out of their league. If that's the case, Gibbs remains the only candidate that reportedly interviewed and said no. The reason why he chose TTU over CU remains to be seen, but he obviously has his reasons. It's not all black and white.

Durkin did not turn CU down publicly. In fact, no stories from outside our small Buff universe even mentioned CU as one of the programs he was considering. Gibbs also had very little mention of CU. CU was rejected, but it wasn't some big public affair. That's a mischaracterization.

Regarding McChesney as a S&C assistant, he publicly mentioned the opportunity. I haven't seen where he publicly turned the job down or any official word that he did turn it down (maybe I missed something). What I did see was him go silent after posting some tweets that got some run on Buff message boards and then an "insider" post on the Rivals board almost a week later that it wasn't going to happen... without saying whether that decision was from CU, McChesney or mutual.

Don't we have enough frustration as Buff fans without making **** up or spinning things negatively to fit a narrative?

Durkin did not turn CU down publicly. In fact, no stories from outside our small Buff universe even mentioned CU as one of the programs he was considering. Gibbs also had very little mention of CU. CU was rejected, but it wasn't some big public affair. That's a mischaracterization.

Regarding McChesney as a S&C assistant, he publicly mentioned the opportunity. I haven't seen where he publicly turned the job down or any official word that he did turn it down (maybe I missed something). What I did see was him go silent after posting some tweets that got some run on Buff message boards and then an "insider" post on the Rivals board almost a week later that it wasn't going to happen... without saying whether that decision was from CU, McChesney or mutual.

Don't we have enough frustration as Buff fans without making **** up or spinning things negatively to fit a narrative?

No.

Not surprising at this point. An up and coming staff at a well known institution for having Good Football..and you have Cu in this corner, sucking at all is football..not surprising. Kick us while we are down.

It's not OK with me, but it is what it is. There's nothing we as fans can do about it, and quite frankly, not a whole lot more HCMM and RG can do about it either. They can throw all the money they want at their top choices and give a 3 year deal but they can't force anyone to accept the job.

That's fine that there are reasons we didn't get the guys we targeted, but then you understand why I might be a little concerned about having to go through the process again to replace a coach that most people here would prefer to keep.

What mischaracterization? I never said Durkin or Gibbs turned us down publicly. I did say we appear to have lost out on our first couple choices, is that not true? I do take exception to the suggestion that I'm just making **** up.

McChesney went public with a job offer he received from CU, now crickets. I suppose he may still take the job, but I wouldn't think that we would be real patient waiting on a decision right smack in the middle of winter conditioning. Sure looks like he took a pass, doesn't it? I'll happily eat crow on that if he ends up taking the job.

Not surprising at this point. An up and coming staff at a well known institution for having Good Football..and you have Cu in this corner, sucking at all is football..not surprising. Kick us while we are down.
Up and coming staff? Huh?

What mischaracterization? I never said Durkin or Gibbs turned us down publicly. I did say we appear to have lost out on our first couple choices, is that not true? I do take exception to the suggestion that I'm just making **** up.

McChesney went public with a job offer he received from CU, now crickets. I suppose he may still take the job, but I wouldn't think that we would be real patient waiting on a decision right smack in the middle of winter conditioning. Sure looks like he took a pass, doesn't it? I'll happily eat crow on that if he ends up taking the job.

Apologies on the first part. I mis-read your post regarding DC. You only applied "public" the McC.

Also, my end question about "making **** up" was a general comment on the message board within context of my reply to you. I should have said "Generally" to differentiate that and make it clear that part of my post wasn't directed straight at you. Again, apologies.

With McChesney, I stand by what I posted. For all we know, CU didn't like his public airing of tweets, told him to shut it down, and no matter what decision McC would have ultimately reached the job offer was taken off the table. I don't know that is the case. It could be what you're speculating. My point is that we don't know and we have way too much speculation leading to declarative statements and people getting upset over "FACT" that is not "FACT".

My money on the radio silence re: McC is that CU told him to shut up on Twitter, *and* lawyers (probably from both sides and maybe even running things by NCAA lawyers) are trying to find a creative solution(s) to his business. It's probably not as simple as "don't work there" - he has an equity interest in the business and the solutions could range from compete divestment to active manager or shareholder / board participant.

If they come to the conclusion that complete divestment or inactive minority shareholder status are the only options, I'd sort of be surprised to see him come to CU.

this thread was enjoyable to wait to read until after the news about the nubs WR hire came out.

this thread was enjoyable to wait to read until after the news about the nubs WR hire came out.
When a rumor about the Buffs comes out, there is a lot of pressure to be the first to post it, ya know. No time for waiting for facts or verification. But I did emphasize this was a rumor in order to cover my ass. That's what life is about. CYA.

Back