What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Walters to 'braska?

I have seen and heard RYAN Walters as a potential coach at OU - but not TROY​ Walters.

That would be great for Ryan. His coaching career seems to be taking off from North Texas to a breakthrough season his first year at Memphis to now being mentioned as a candidate at an elite P5. Great to see.

Fisher is available now. Could be a good lb coach. Recruits texas well. He brought in one 4 star each year.
We could do a lot worse.

maybe I miss spoke? I just meant they have filled a staff rather quickly and a pretty good staff at that.

Still mis-speaking. Riley brought almost everyone from Oregon State and the Nubs fans are very negative in general towards that. Yes, he was able to pull one of his protege's away from the Jets, but I can't call that a huge victory.

Their new WR coach - I wouldn't take over our guy. And he kept the DB coach in place.

More interesting, I think Oregon State pulled a massive recovery. Andersen was just drooling to get away from Wisconsin and he was in the perfect position to crack back on his old friend Kyle Whittingham, fleecing him for two key coaches. They may have upgraded overall.

Rich Fisher was the Nebraska wr coach. He is from Texas and played olb for cu. That is not the only reason I woul like the hire; but it is a positive in my book.

Oh, right. He is a good recruiter, but I think we have too many needs with Poly recruiting (he doesn't bring that) and strong on-field coaching on the defensive side (he's over a decade removed from LB duties).

Oh, right. He is a good recruiter, but I think we have too many needs with Poly recruiting (he doesn't bring that) and strong on-field coaching on the defensive side (he's over a decade removed from LB duties).
Probably your right. Though if we replace more than just two he could help with Texas.
Who would you want for the poly recruiting? Any possibility we could get Tuiasasopo back?

Who would you want for the poly recruiting? Any possibility we could get Tuiasasopo back?

I think Tui is a very respected coach and is especially known for his work with the tackles but as was mentioned in one of our other assistant threads he seemed put off by our state employee contract limits and was out of coaching for a time following the Embree dismissal. I doubt he would want to come back to a perennial losing program and risk that happening again. Presently I believe he has a 2-year deal at UCLA and there's no way he'd step down to come back here with that security.

Probably your right. Though if we replace more than just two he could help with Texas.

I haven't really looked, but considering LB, Poly and also that we don't have anyone for Utah recruiting... first thought I had is that it wouldn't be a bad thing to try to poach Kurt Gouveia off the Hawai'i staff.

That would be great for Ryan. His coaching career seems to be taking off from North Texas to a breakthrough season his first year at Memphis to now being mentioned as a candidate at an elite P5. Great to see.

Can I start lobbying for Ryan Walters for CU HC 2025 campaign yet?

Let's put this in perspective.

It's good to have our guys being in the running for a job at a place like kNU. kNU is a step above where CU is at right now (although with how the big 10 is structured don't see them making a comeback ever).

That means we would have coaching talent and while its be a brain drain it says a lot when former coaches take the same job at UNLV.

Now let's just hope that when Lindgren or another coach leaves that we can reload. People have lost faith in part because of the pure silence do to the DC hiring (polar opposite to the Butch Jones cluster****).

I haven't really looked, but considering LB, Poly and also that we don't have anyone for Utah recruiting... first thought I had is that it wouldn't be a bad thing to try to poach Kurt Gouveia off the Hawai'i staff.
I like that call too. Gouveia coached a year with David Gibbs, so I was hopeful he would join him. He also has experience coaching special teams, so maybe Gouveia as STC and Kenwick Thompson from Vanderbilt to coach linebackers.Thompson was the recruiting coordinator under Tedford at Cal for many years.

Can I start lobbying for Ryan Walters for CU HC 2025 campaign yet?

Let's put this in perspective.

It's good to have our guys being in the running for a job at a place like kNU. kNU is a step above where CU is at right now (although with how the big 10 is structured don't see them making a comeback ever).

That means we would have coaching talent and while its be a brain drain it says a lot when former coaches take the same job at UNLV.

Now let's just hope that when Lindgren or another coach leaves that we can reload. People have lost faith in part because of the pure silence do to the DC hiring (polar opposite to the Butch Jones cluster****).

Did you miss that Baer was fired? And that LaRussa worked for Baer, thus his security was put into immediate jeopardy? That doesn't say a lot to me.

A bit of a stretch, but Ikaika Malloe at Utah State would be worth a look. That program seems to have it figured out.

Did you miss that Baer was fired? And that LaRussa worked for Baer, thus his security was put into immediate jeopardy? That doesn't say a lot to me.

No, he "left on his own accord." Of course he was fired.

But he took s huge step down. It wasn't a lateral move in the slightest.

When you have guys like Grimes getting poached it sucks, but when coaches leave for better jobs it means we are doing something right or something ****ty (like pay or whatnot).

I get the Poly recruiting aspect and it'd be great to be one of the main Poly programs (a pipe dream). With that said, don't we just want good players, regardless if they're black, poly, white, etc.? I just want a good recruiter on this staff. If Fisher recruits Texas really well, I'd rather have that than a guy who is more familiar with the Poly recruiting but might not be as good.

A bit of a stretch, but Ikaika Malloe at Utah State would be worth a look. That program seems to have it figured out.
I'd be good with him too. We need to bring in a DC and at least 2 new ACs.
A couple other coaches with ties to the poly community would be Popinga from BYU, Salavea WSU and Tonoti a former Hawaii DL coach. I doubt we could poach the first two, but Tonoti is a possibility.

I get the Poly recruiting aspect and it'd be great to be one of the main Poly programs (a pipe dream). With that said, don't we just want good players, regardless if they're black, poly, white, etc.? I just want a good recruiter on this staff. If Fisher recruits Texas really well, I'd rather have that than a guy who is more familiar with the Poly recruiting but might not be as good.

Of course. But the CU footprint is 1) California, 2) Colorado, 3) Texas, 4) Hawai'i + mainland Polynesians, 5) Other western US with focus on AZ & UT.

Right now, we're weak in Hawai'i and Utah with no one who has worked the All-Poly camp.

One more name to throw into the mix is Suemalo. Won't it be possible to poach him from UNLV after we get the DC resolved? Christian too for that matter.

No, he "left on his own accord." Of course he was fired.

But he took s huge step down. It wasn't a lateral move in the slightest.

When you have guys like Grimes getting poached it sucks, but when coaches leave for better jobs it means we are doing something right or something ****ty (like pay or whatnot).

:lol: Trying to make the point that it's better to lose good coaches.

:lol: Trying to make the point that it's better to lose good coaches.
Actually, coaches leaving for promotions is a good thing, by and large. Just as you want players you are recruiting to be in demand, having assistants in demand is a good sign for the program as well.

Actually, coaches leaving for promotions is a good thing, by and large. Just as you want players you are recruiting to be in demand, having assistants in demand is a good sign for the program as well.

You are going to have attrition. Happens on every job. The lack of attrition either means our guys don't have suitors (bad) or that they are loyal (good). Without knowing the facts, it is baseless anyway.

At my company if we had guys leave for Google it means we were hiring as well as we could. Sometimes you just can't compete when a bigger employer comes calling (like OU or even kNU).

I guess by that logic coaching trees don't matter. Guys like Synder can reload at KSU of all places. Can MM?

Agree to disagree, when we are short on good assistants, however good it may look, it is in fact bad for the team.

One more name to throw into the mix is Suemalo. Won't it be possible to poach him from UNLV after we get the DC resolved? Christian too for that matter.

A handful of ACs move twice in the offseason when a bigger opportunity comes knocking. There was a guy a couple years ago who went to Texas Tech and very quickly accepted the same role at ASU just a month or two later. I don't know if MacIntyre is the type of person who's ruthless enough to play the poach game when it's fresh like that but there are certainly assistants for whom CU would be a big step up from their current or even their last two jobs. Seumalo and Christian fit that as do Curt Mallory (CU ties and all, for anyone still phased by that factoid), Oscar Giles, and Renaldo Hill. Also I am very aware of who he last coached for, but how is Rick Kaczenski without a job this late into January?

We need defensive coaches. Waiting for the right fit at coordinator or not, this inaction is killing us. At this point the new DC will have to fire and replace his defensive staff after signing day if he isn't happy with the recruiting results rather than get his guys in, add an air of excitement to that side of the ball leading into February, and finishing the class strong.

Coaches, or employees, leaving for better opportunities is good but only if the remaining boss can hire well. So far this HC hasn't shown anything in that space.

Agree to disagree, when we are short on good assistants, however good it may look, it is in fact bad for the team.
Generally speaking, I would agree with Duff. In this case, I agree with you. At this juncture, we will be hurt losing a top assistant because, 1., it's a little late to be looking for a replacement and, 2., the kids need to see some stability at this point.

Back