What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Hires Chris Petersen

Not totally sure what your point is here. How did MM strike when the iron was hot? CU was a hot mess when he took over last December. MM has been a part of two big, big building projects at Duke as a DC and then at SJSU so it's also not like it was one project. Most non-CU fans I've talked to also think MM is a damn good coach and will get us back on top, Tom Osborne also said he was a coaching superstar and he seems to be very well respected in coaching circles.
He went from 1-12 to 5-7 to 10-2. If he's a combined 6-19, is CU touching him? If he goes let's 5-7 this season at SJSU, he looks worse. He could play his cards and see if he can repeat at San Jose St, but that's not a given. If he doesn't end up working at CU, we're going to say we hired someone off one great season.

He went from 1-12 to 5-7 to 10-2. If he's a combined 6-19, is CU touching him? If he goes let's 5-7 this season at SJSU, he looks worse. He could play his cards and see if he can repeat at San Jose St, but that's not a given. If he doesn't end up working at CU, we're going to say we hired someone off one great season.
You're ignoring his success at Duke though, a good amount of those players on that team were recruited by MacIntyre. If he goes 5-7 at SJSU his last year no one would touch him, but the same applies to every coach in the country who is at a WAC/MWC/MAC/Sun Belt school. You perform above expectations and you get promoted, that's exactly what MacIntyre did. Sorry, I'm not seeing much validity in your comment about 'striking while the iron is hot'. He didn't go 5-7 in his third year, he won 10 games and had his team ranked, you can't take that away and come up with another scenario, it happened and sports are a result oriented business.

You're ignoring his success at Duke though, a good amount of those players on that team were recruited by MacIntyre. If he goes 5-7 at SJSU his last year no one would touch him, but the same applies to every coach in the country who is at a WAC/MWC/MAC/Sun Belt school. You perform above expectations and you get promoted, that's exactly what MacIntyre did. Sorry, I'm not seeing much validity in your comment about 'striking while the iron is hot'. He didn't go 5-7 in his third year, he won 10 games and had his team ranked, you can't take that away and come up with another scenario, it happened and sports are a result oriented business.
Not really, he doesn't get as much credit because he wasn't head coach. All I'm saying is he took the CU job at the perfect time. Timing is everything in terms of these jobs. If he went back to San Jose, a job of CU"s caliber might not be there next year if he couldn't repeat the success. Teams might think it was a fluke. At 10-2, that would've been difficult to repeat, but not unachieveable.

Not really, he doesn't get as much credit because he wasn't head coach. All I'm saying is he took the CU job at the perfect time. Timing is everything in terms of these jobs. If he went back to San Jose, a job of CU"s caliber might not be there next year if he couldn't repeat the success. Teams might think it was a fluke. At 10-2, that would've been difficult to repeat, but not unachieveable.
So all hypotheticals...gotcha. SJSU was outscored by 270 points in his first year (2010), and then 70 points in his second year (2010), and then SJSU outscored their opponents by 175 in his third year...it's not like they didn't show improvement and then all of a sudden he won 10 games, every year his team showed improvement in point differential and record wise, that's not a fluke. He recruited a NFL QB as well, I don't see why, with basically the same team coming back, that he wouldn't have gotten even better record wise and point differential in 2013. When you take over a team that is about to be dropped and turn them into a ranked team and a 10 game winner in three years you're a damn good coach.

And he gets some credit for Duke, he did win the 2008 FBS assistant coach of the year award

So all hypotheticals...gotcha. SJSU was outscored by 270 points in his first year (2010), and then 70 points in his second year (2010), and then SJSU outscored their opponents by 175 in his third year...it's not like they didn't show improvement and then all of a sudden he won 10 games, every year his team showed improvement in point differential and record wise, that's not a fluke. He recruited a NFL QB as well, I don't see why, with basically the same team coming back, that he wouldn't have gotten even better record wise and point differential in 2013. When you take over a team that is about to be dropped and turn them into a ranked team and a 10 game winner in three years you're a damn good coach.

And he gets some credit for Duke, he did win the 2008 FBS assistant coach of the year award
He got hired because of his progression but largely because of one year. That's all. That's striking while the iron is hot because he might not get this opportunity again if SJSU can't put up similar or better numbers next year.

It's not a fluke in part because he didn't go back to SJSU. Not the largest sample size to judge him. Like the NBA Draft, sometimes having a thinner resume is better.

He got hired because of his progression but largely because of one year. That's all. That's striking while the iron is hot because he might not get this opportunity again if SJSU can't put up similar or better numbers next year.

It's not a fluke in part because he didn't go back to SJSU. Not the largest sample size to judge him. Like the NBA Draft, sometimes having a thinner resume is better.
He got hired because his progression each year lead to him winning 10 games in his third year. What did you expect his first two years with the state of that program?

He got hired because his progression each year lead to him winning 10 games in his third year. What did you expect his first two years with the state of that program?
I don't know, my point is he stroke while the iron was hot with CU. I don't think there's that much debate here. If you were him, would you have gone back to SJSU and tried to parlay that into a better job?

I don't know, my point is he stroke while the iron was hot with CU. I don't think there's that much debate here. If you were him, would you have gone back to SJSU and tried to parlay that into a better job?
He would have had a greater chance of success staying where he was. He didnt exactly improve his odds of continuing success when he came here with the full cupboard.

He would have had a greater chance of success staying where he was. He didnt exactly improve his odds of continuing success when he came here with the full cupboard.
I think he made the right move, who knows if he'll have another opportunity. It's not like he was Gus Malzahn.

HCMM showed an ability to build a down program, but didn't stay at SJSU long enough to show he can continue to win consistently at a program. Peterson is exactly the opposite, he proved the ability to take over a strong program and have sustained success, but hasn't had to build a program.

Both are good and I think CU got what they needed (someone who can build a program), just like UW got what they needed (someone who can step into a decent program, take them to the next level and sustain success).

HCMM showed an ability to build a down program, but didn't stay at SJSU long enough to show he can continue to win consistently at a program. Peterson is exactly the opposite, he proved the ability to take over a strong program and have sustained success, but hasn't had to build a program.

Both are good and I think CU got what they needed (someone who can build a program), just like UW got what they needed (someone who can step into a decent program, take them to the next level and sustain success).
With Petersen maintaining and becoming even more successful at SJSU that's why I think it's more impressive. If HCMM, had stayed at SJSU and kept it going that might've changed my opinion.

Given the situation I'm happy with HCMM, would've prefered Foot Cart or someone more highly regarded, but that wasn't happening.

With Petersen maintaining and becoming even more successful at SJSU that's why I think it's more impressive. If HCMM, had stayed at SJSU and kept it going that might've changed my opinion.

Given the situation I'm happy with HCMM, would've prefered Foot Cart or someone more highly regarded, but that wasn't happening.
???

MM didn't take a bad program at SJSU...he took a historically bad for many years SJSU team and in 3 years made them 10-2 good.

I don't care what conference you play in, going undefeated is a tough proposition - it means you have to have your team ready every game or a weak sister will knock you off. Petersen has done it 3 times in the regular season (losing once in the Bowl game). I have to shake my head that so many Buff fans see this as a questionable hire. If you look at it objectively it appears to be a better hire than than CU's hire of MacIntyre (at least on paper). I think some CU fans are desperate to manufacture hope.

This could be a great hire for Udub. I think Petersen will be a major upgrade from Sarkisian who tended to leave too many wins on the field. Petersen will not leave wins on the field.

The UW situation is pretty good, good support, good facilities, talent in the program. We will see how he will do in recruiting but he has a pretty good situation to recruit to in Washington.

Thank you. Well said by someone with some first hand knowledge.

It's extremely difficult to piece together one winning season, as we all know, let alone string together several. Peterson did just that. He might not do it at UDub but he did do it at BSU. Remember that Urban Meyer guy was lights out once upon a time at Utah.

Even schools like Alabama and Oklahoma fall on hard times. So it has not as much to do with the school and everything to do with the coach. The difference is the admin steps in and hires a winner. This is where we seem to be stuck. Or hopefully were stuck.

MM didn't take a bad program at SJSU...he took a historically bad for many years SJSU team and in 3 years made them 10-2 good.

Plus SJSU was short scholarships at least his first year due to APR issues. He inherited a complete disaster and turned them completely around.

Plus SJSU was short scholarships at least his first year due to APR issues. He inherited a complete disaster and turned them completely around.
That OOC schedule his first year was nasty as well, @Alabama and @Wisconsin

Coaching hires are crap shoots most of the time. Occassionally, you get some WTF hires. Honestly, Embree and Kiffin both filled that bill. Pete Carroll was a WTF hire that worked out.

I put the Petersen hire in the same category as HCMM. Jury is still out. While Petersen has won, a whole lot, he's done it at one school in a lesser conference - mostly in the WAC. There are loads of failed coaches with similar pedigrees that couldn't make the jump. HaLk is a prime example. He may turn out to be the next Jim Tressel, who jumped from Youngstown State to Ohio State, and won at both places. The length of Boise State's run suggests that Petersen is more likely to be successful than not, but who knows?

IMO, the only sure fire guys are the ones who have won at multiple stops - Saban at Michigan State, LSU and Alabama, Les Miles at Oklahoma State and LSU, Urban Meyer at Utah, Florida and Ohio State.

Coaching hires are crap shoots most of the time. Occassionally, you get some WTF hires. Honestly, Embree and Kiffin both filled that bill. Pete Carroll was a WTF hire that worked out.

I put the Petersen hire in the same category as HCMM. Jury is still out. While Petersen has won, a whole lot, he's done it at one school in a lesser conference - mostly in the WAC. There are loads of failed coaches with similar pedigrees that couldn't make the jump. HaLk is a prime example. He may turn out to be the next Jim Tressel, who jumped from Youngstown State to Ohio State, and won at both places. The length of Boise State's run suggests that Petersen is more likely to be successful than not, but who knows?

IMO, the only sure fire guys are the ones who have won at multiple stops - Saban at Michigan State, LSU and Alabama, Les Miles at Oklahoma State and LSU, Urban Meyer at Utah, Florida and Ohio State.

Saban was no legend at MSU IMHO. He was no sure fire hire though he did not necessarily come off of a big deal coaching tree either. MSU took a risk bring back their old DB coach who by the way quit after 1 season as HC at Toledo to be DC for the Browns.

Darryl Rogers 1976–1979 4 24–18–2 .568 19–12–1 .609 n/a 1 0 0 Big Ten
Muddy Waters 1980–1982 3 10–23–0 .303 8–18–0 .308 n/a 0 0 0 Big Ten
George Perles 1983–1994 12 68–67–4 .504 53–42–2 .557 n/a 2 7 0 Big Ten
Nick Saban 1995–1999 5 35–24–1 .592 23–16–1 .589 n/a 0 3 0 Big Ten
Bobby Williams 2000–2002 3 15–17 .469 6–15-0 .286 n/a 0 2 0 Big Ten

Saban, IMHO, really made his mark while at LSU. There was not as much risk at that point. Same with Meyer and probably corn dog at this point. Who will ever bring back Tressell? All likely the only really safe hires. And Pete Carroll.

As for Kiffin, he had a good pedigree and a National championship ring. He looked like a good hire save the lack of head coaching experience. I'm not sure Sark is an upgrade at SC.

Last edited:
Saban was no legend at MSU IMHO. He was no sure fire hire though he did not necessarily come off of a big deal coaching tree either. MSU took a risk bring back their old DB coach who by the way quit after 1 season as HC at Toledo to be DC for the Browns.

Darryl Rogers 1976–1979 4 24–18–2 .568 19–12–1 .609 n/a 1 0 0 Big Ten
Muddy Waters 1980–1982 3 10–23–0 .303 8–18–0 .308 n/a 0 0 0 Big Ten
George Perles 1983–1994 12 68–67–4 .504 53–42–2 .557 n/a 2 7 0 Big Ten
Nick Saban 1995–1999 5 35–24–1 .592 23–16–1 .589 n/a 0 3 0 Big Ten
Bobby Williams 2000–2002 3 15–17 .469 6–15-0 .286 n/a 0 2 0 Big Ten

Saban, IMHO, really made his mark while at LSU. There was not as much risk at that point. Same with Meyer and probably corn dog at this point. Who will ever bring back Tressell? All likely the only really safe hires. And Pete Carroll.

As for Kiffin, he had a good pedigree and a National championship ring. He looked like a good hire save the lack of head coaching experience. I'm not sure Sark is an upgrade at SC.

You're right that Saban was certainly not in the sure fire category coming out of Michigan State. I'm talking about today. One other caveat to this. At a certain age, frankly where Saban is approaching now, you cease to become a sure fire hire anymore. It's a young man's profession.

I also agree with Duff. I think the large majority of observers viewed the Kiffin hire as poor or mediocre hire at the outset.

You're right that Saban was certainly not in the sure fire category coming out of Michigan State. I'm talking about today. One other caveat to this. At a certain age, frankly where Saban is approaching now, you cease to become a sure fire hire anymore. It's a young man's profession.

I also agree with Duff. I think the large majority of observers viewed the Kiffin hire as poor or mediocre hire at the outset.

I think the sweet spot is right around 40-45.

Coaching hires are somewhat a crap shoot. There are so many factors that go into success. Look at Rich Rod at Michigan...on the surface it looked like a good hire. The guy had been successful at WVU but totally misjudged the significance of the Michigan Tradition...got him off on the wrong foot and he never recovered. I did not think much of the Mora hire at UCLA or Graham at ASU but those appear to be working. I was convinced that Rick Neuheisel would do well at UCLA, he was a good recruiter and I thought his setbacks would mature him a little - but he never realized that the culture he built led to undisciplined teams which would tank at any time.

I think it is easier to go into a situation like SJSU where no one is really going to second guess you as opposed going under the microscope at places like Texas, Florida or USC. That is why I have a lot of respect for guys like Saban, Meyer, Kelly they not only have to be successful on the field but they have stand up to extreme scrutiny which can be daunting.

I think Petersen is much better off at UDub (although they have high expectations) than USC and I think Udub made a better hire than USC - but we will know more in a few years. Right now it is just opinion regardless of which facts we try to use to justify our opinion.

I don't think Kiffin was such a WTF hire when he was hired. He turned into one. Embree was praised in many corners. Petersen isn't a slam dunk, but I think it was solid.

I don't agree coaching hires are crapshoots. A good AD can find a good coach.

I don't care what conference you play in, going undefeated is a tough proposition - it means you have to have your team ready every game or a weak sister will knock you off. Petersen has done it 3 times in the regular season (losing once in the Bowl game). I have to shake my head that so many Buff fans see this as a questionable hire. If you look at it objectively it appears to be a better hire than than CU's hire of MacIntyre (at least on paper). I think some CU fans are desperate to manufacture hope.

This could be a great hire for Udub. I think Petersen will be a major upgrade from Sarkisian who tended to leave too many wins on the field. Petersen will not leave wins on the field.

The UW situation is pretty good, good support, good facilities, talent in the program. We will see how he will do in recruiting but he has a pretty good situation to recruit to in Washington.

Let's compare two coaches. Both of these coaches were at the same school, even on the same staff once upon a time. Both were ultimately head coaches at the school.

Coach A -
1st year - 8-4
2nd year - 12-1 (undefeated in conference play)
3rd year - 13-1 (undefeated in conference play)
4th year - 11-1 (undefeated in conference play)
5th year - 9-4 (1 loss in conference play)

Coach B
1st year - 13-0 (undefeated in conference play)
2nd year - 10-3 (1 loss in conference play)
3rd year - 12-1 (undefeated in conference play)
4th year - 14-0 (undefeated in conference play)
5th year - 12-1 (1 loss in conference play)
6th year - 12-1 (1 loss in conference play)
7th year - 12-2 (1 loss in conference play)
8th year - 8-4

Coach A had 3 years undefeated in conference play. Coach B had 3 years undefeated in conference play.

One of these coaches is Dan Hawkins.

Let's compare two coaches. Both of these coaches were at the same school, even on the same staff once upon a time. Both were ultimately head coaches at the school.

Coach A -haLk
1st year - 8-4
2nd year - 12-1 (undefeated in conference play)
3rd year - 13-1 (undefeated in conference play)
4th year - 11-1 (undefeated in conference play)
5th year - 9-4 (1 loss in conference play)

Coach B Petey
1st year - 13-0 (undefeated in conference play)
2nd year - 10-3 (1 loss in conference play)
3rd year - 12-1 (undefeated in conference play)
4th year - 14-0 (undefeated in conference play)
5th year - 12-1 (1 loss in conference play)
6th year - 12-1 (1 loss in conference play)
7th year - 12-2 (1 loss in conference play)
8th year - 8-4

Coach A had 3 years undefeated in conference play. Coach B had 3 years undefeated in conference play.

One of these coaches is Dan Hawkins.
xx

Back