What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wazzu's game winning td

Just a bit of consolation. Last year my undergrad school, Notre Dame, lost to Michigan State on a fake field goal in overtime. Backbreaking loss. They also lost on a long TD pass on fourth down to the same team a few years earlier. Just like this year a last second TD given up to Michigan for another loss was beyond belief. These kinds of losses hurt the most. But they are just losses. In the grand scheme of things....... It's going to be a long time until the Buffs are dominant again.

Meanwhile I want to ask about a technical matter that is very frustrating for me. Just before the half WSU did a squib kick-off following a score. CU ended up with the ball near mid field and ended up hitting a field goal to go into half time with a small lead. I remember Barnett doing a squib kick-off that had similar results. Someone help me here. What in god's name is the theory behind a squib kick? I must be missing something because to me the vast majority of kick offs result in the opposition starting from around the 20 or 30 at best and most squib kicks I remember net ten, fifteen yards more in field position. I think it is one of the stupidest strategies in football.

Just a bit of consolation. Last year my undergrad school, Notre Dame, lost to Michigan State on a fake field goal in overtime. Backbreaking loss. They also lost on a long TD pass on fourth down to the same team a few years earlier. Just like this year a last second TD given up to Michigan for another loss was beyond belief. These kinds of losses hurt the most. But they are just losses. In the grand scheme of things....... It's going to be a long time until the Buffs are dominant again.

Meanwhile I want to ask about a technical matter that is very frustrating for me. Just before the half WSU did a squib kick-off following a score. CU ended up with the ball near mid field and ended up hitting a field goal to go into half time with a small lead. I remember Barnett doing a squib kick-off that had similar results. Someone help me here. What in god's name is the theory behind a squib kick? I must be missing something because to me the vast majority of kick offs result in the opposition starting from around the 20 or 30 at best and most squib kicks I remember net ten, fifteen yards more in field position. I think it is one of the stupidest strategies in football.

Let's be clear on the CU squib kick. 2000 v. nebraska. Broke my ****ing heart.

The theory - not saying it is right or wrong - but the theory is that a squib kick, if executed properly, bounces around and disrupts the "flow" of the return team. Said disrupted flow, then (in theory) results in little or no return. There are two general reasons to (in theory) use it - when the other team has a fantastic return guy, and you don't want to kick it to him and risk a long return, OR if there are just a few seconds left in the half/game, a squib kick starts the clock when the return team touches it, and (in theory) uses most or all of the clock on a disorganized return. You be the judge as to whether the theory is sound.

Stupid Strategy

Thanks for the explanation. I had understood, vaguely, something along that line. I think the best way to upset the "flow" of the return team is simply to have fast, skilled special team players. I kinda understand trying to keep the ball from someone like Devin Hester or the Rocket. But those guys are very rare. I continue to believe the move is moronic and most often does not work.

Back