What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB '18 NJ C Andrea Aquino (Verbal to Oregon State)

Looks like JR & Co. have made direct contact. Hope they made a
good impression; enough to get an official visit from her. Guessing she doesn't have the money to make an unofficial from NJ to Boulder like many other targets from the class of '18 have.

Great find, Mark. Right with you on an official visit for the same reasons after reading the article.

"Currently ranked the No. 11 center in the espnW HoopGurlz Super 60 for the 2018 class, Aquino is expected to skyrocket when the rankings are updated after the high school season."

#3 top 50 player we get? Crossing fingers.

Last edited:
"Currently ranked the No. 11 center in the espnW HoopGurlz Super 60 for the 2018 class, Aquino is expected to skyrocket when the rankings are updated after the high school season."

#3 top 50 player we get? Crushing fingers.
Now, now, Oldtimer ... no need to hurt yourself. Just cross your fingers.

From the original SI article:
"The next step in Aquino's basketball education was to try to come to the United States, where she had a cousin in New Jersey."

From the SB Nation Article:
"District officials and teachers were initially concerned about the welfare of the student-athlete from Paraguay when they learned that she had no sort of “living allowance,” and was bouncing from home to home."

When I read the first article I had assumed she was living with her cousin. Now it appears she really had no permanent home in the US.

It appears that coaches were using the student athletes to build a program without regard for the kids well-being. Fortunately, Aquino advocated for herself and hopefully someone in the school is working to be sure she has adequate clothing, food and shelter in the short term. My guess is that she'll be deported to Paraguay and have a really hard time returning to the US. The adults were using the kids, but the kids will pay a price in that they will be found guilty of lying on their visa applications which will make it challenging for them to return to the US and continue their educations.

The adults who were using the kids - well I hope they get a hefty prison sentence. As an educator one of my first priorities is the well-being of my students both emotionally and physically. The adults involved violated their obligation to safeguard their students and on top of that they were taking advantage of them.

She is going to Oregon State
Didn't know OSU was seriously in the mix and to be honest, didn't think this was a direction she would go. Still, great to see that her education wasn't disrupted by the visa issue.

Now, the coaching staff needs to have some other serious options to recruit for the post. They're off to a tremendous start with the class of '18, but hey need the a star quality player down low to make this team highly competitive.

From the articles posted early, she had potential grade and visa issues. We will find out if those actually get resolved. Article made it sound like she was not in the US legally and had grade problems because of the language issues.

A post player who can play NOW is a must

From the articles posted early, she had potential grade and visa issues. We will find out if those actually get resolved. Article made it sound like she was not in the US legally and had grade problems because of the language issues.

A post player who can play NOW is a must
I think that all of the past concerns over Colorado's lack of a decent post player has for the time being been addressed given how superbly that this 6'3" freshman forward Annika Jank has been playing throughout the first 8 games of the season.

I think that all of the past concerns over Colorado's lack of a decent post player has for the time being been addressed given how superbly that this 6'3" freshman forward Annika Jank has been playing throughout the first 8 games of the season.

I would say she's more a 4 or power forward than a 5 or a post or a center. Bunn is our post player. We need one badly in the 19 class to replace Bunn when she leaves. They might pick up a juco and a HS player in 19 as we will lose two centers that year.

I'm with CUoldtimer on this one. The Buffs would be better off with true 5 to pair with Jank. Jank is more of a 4 or power forward with some perimeter skills including a solid perimeter scoring touch. She's athletic enough to defend players with perimeter skills and can also contest power players. So I would keep her a the 4 and hope that Bunn continues to develop.

At this point I would say getting a solid post player is a priority for the class of '19 as is an elite point guard. I don't thin it's out of the question that they staff find a foreign post player for the class of '18. That way they wouldn't be starting from scratch in a couple of seasons.

Back