What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB 2019 Pre-Season Info Thread

MarkW

It's time to start a thread that gets us posting ideas and info on the upcoming season.

Hopefully there will be more articles on the newcomers from both the official site and the Daily Camera.

Looks like Emma Clarke hasn't made it to Boulder yet, but given she's got to get her visa, etc., it might take a while for her to arrive.

Here's my prediction on the starters at the beginning of the season:
4/5 - Maya Hollingshed 6-4 So.
4/5 - Annika Jank 6-3 So.
W - Alexis Robinson 5-10 Sr.
W - Quinessa Caylao-Do 5-8 Jr.
PG - Kennedy Leonard 5-8 Sr.

Hollingshed and Jenk are the only "bigs" with college experience on the roster. If they've gotten physically stronger and improved in the post they could be solid.

Robinson has now had a year to recover from her ACL, I'm guessing she'll have a solid to great season.

Caylao-Do had an injury last season that slowed her down a bit, but seemed to be fine by the end of the season. The coaching staff seems to love her work ethic.

Leonard, the best player on the team and one of the best point guards in school history.

Lot's of options off the bench on the wing.

How important is this season for Coach Payne? Is she in any trouble at this point?

How important is this season for Coach Payne? Is she in any trouble at this point?
I would say she has 2 seasons left. There should be some incremental improvement this season, at least enough to get her another year. I would think if she hasn't got solid improvement after next year, there will be a change. Seems like she had a lot to overcome, and has made progress so there isn't the pressure to do SOMETHING that there might be under different circumstances.

I just want to double check: are we seriously having a discussion over whether a coach who has a .500 record in only two seasons - after taking over a team that was 7-23 prior to her arrival - is on the hot seat?

I just want to double check: are we seriously having a discussion over whether a coach who has a .500 record in only two seasons - after taking over a team that was 7-23 prior to her arrival - is on the hot seat?
Right?

Payne is rebuilding an entire roster and culture. She has things on the right track.

She's also a force of nature with positive energy in the CU athletic department. I think she's special and that we should be backing her with our full support without reservation.

I really like her based on interviews I’ve heard. I want her to succeed. But I asked the question purely out of a lack of knowledge about what is going on with WBB. My perception is that last year was disappointing. I admit I just don’t pay that much attention.

JR is rebuilding the program from scratch. She is bringing in her type of players. Last season, we had 8 new players and a few of them were not good fits. They will not be on the team this season. The JUCO route didn't seem to work with two of the players.

The team was terrible the season before JR was hired. Her first season, the team made the WNIT. Last season, they improved a lot in the latter part of the season.

The team believes in the culture. The article states she wants them to be friends on and off the court. In the latter part of last season, they did a lot of team building stuff on the road. Puzzle games, word games, etc. They appeared to be having fun doing it.

If you watch the Instagram videos of their summer workouts, the returning players are working extremely hard in the weight room and teaching the freshmen the routine. To be successful in the Pac-12, we have to get bigger and stronger. Definitely will be stronger.

IMO, we still need help in the post.

I will not discuss how much time JR has. It's too early, way too early for that type of discussion.

What are the chances Schwartz is starting by the end of the season? I have high hopes for her; I just wish she had more time to play with Kennedy.

What are the chances Schwartz is starting by the end of the season? I have high hopes for her; I just wish she had more time to play with Kennedy.
From what I have seen of Schwartz on film and what I have seen of the rest of the team in person, it wouldn't be even a little surprising if Schwartz started game one, forget about end of the season. The only real questions for Schwartz is how she handles the bump in competition and the defensive requirements.

It also wouldn't be surprising if CU went very small for many games. They only have two bigs who are likely to see much, if any, playing time (Hollingshed and Jank) and both of those players are more stretch bigs more than the traditional post presence. Definitely going to be some nail biting moments watching these two try and defend the interior without fouling this year. I would bet that Hollingshed and Caylao-Do both have games where they give up their starting spot.

This team will really need to play fast and press a TON as they just don't have the size to compete in a half court game against most of the PAC12. The inability to recruit a real big who can actually play has been Coach Payne's big weakness to this point and time. I really enjoy talking to Coach Payne and the culture she is fostering, but failing to recruit a big again during the next recruiting cycle would change the discussion about how warm her seat was getting.

It also wouldn't be surprising if CU went very small for many games. They only have two bigs who are likely to see much, if any, playing time (Hollingshed and Jank) and both of those players are more stretch bigs more than the traditional post presence.
Agree. CU will have to rotate Hollingshed and Jank, particularly when they are playing against Pac 12 competition. This means that players like Aubry Knight, Mathilde Diop, Peanut Tuitele and perhaps Emma Clarke may get some time at the 4.

I agree that others JR is relentlessly optimistic and the culture she is installing in the program is different from anything in preceding coaching staffs. Whether or not this translates into high levels of success in the Pac 12 remains to be seen. And it's going to be a challenge to get into the top 4 or so of the conference. The talent level and the Oregon schools, Stanford and UCLA is going to make it tough to crack the upper echelons. The conference is better now than when CU joined.

I too think Swartz has a shot at starting. The reason I put Caylao-Do in the starting five is that the coaching staff seems to like the intangibles she brings to the team. And she works very hard to improve her game.

When you look at the Buffs strengths one that stands out is the number of players with talent on the wing. Thus there could be a tremendous contest for playing time at those two spots and at times there may be three wings in the game at the same time. Robinson looks to be the only one that is a lock right now. Beyond her there are, in order of class:
• Caylao-Do and Diop (juniors)
• Knight (sophomore)
• Clarke and Swartz (freshmen)

JR stated upon her arrival that the team needed to get stronger. They had spent too much time previously working on the conditioning. It appears they are continuing to get stronger. Check out the guns on Hollingshed!

JR stated upon her arrival that the team needed to get stronger. They had spent too much time previously working on the conditioning. It appears they are continuing to get stronger. Check out the guns on Hollingshed!

When you feel strong, you play strong. It makes such a difference in both capability and psyche.

From what I see in the Instagram stories, the players are working extremely hard with the weights on getting stronger. Q, Lex and Kennedy are all ripped.

At this point, Q is the best defensive player on the team. Her defense is needed. I'm hoping the defense of the others has improved since last season.

At this point, Q is the best defensive player on the team. Her defense is needed. I'm hoping the defense of the others has improved since last season.
This is one of the reasons I believe Q will be a starter at the beginning of the season. CU has really struggled defensively for years (going back to the Lappe era) and if they are going to win more this season than last it's gonna take improved team defense as well as rebounding.

The workout videos on Instagram are mostly in the stories. Those disappear after 24 hours.

This is one of the reasons I believe Q will be a starter at the beginning of the season. CU has really struggled defensively for years (going back to the Lappe era) and if they are going to win more this season than last it's gonna take improved team defense as well as rebounding.

Agree, but I'd add going back to the McConnell-Miller era.

Sounds like Peanut is used to contact.

The article: https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/7/2/w...le-finds-a-home-in-cus-family-atmosphere.aspx

Tuitele Finds A Second Home In CU's Family Atmosphere

By: Andy Schlichting, Assistant SID
Release: July 02, 2018 BOULDER – It's all about family. That's what Sirena Tuitele (pronounced ser-EEN-ah TOO-ee-TAY-lay), who goes by the nickname "Peanut," said of why she chose the University of Colorado to play basketball. A native of Chico, Calif., Tuitele is of Polynesian descent and family is the most important staple in the Polynesian culture.

"It's a huge," Tuitele said of the importance of family. "In Polynesian culture, family is everything. We're a big family, there are six siblings in all. I'm the fourth child, I have two older brothers, one older sister, two younger sisters, and then both of my parents. We're a close bunch. That's one thing I really liked about Colorado."

Head coach JR Payne has worked hard to instill a family atmosphere in her program and her close-knit group really clicked with Tuitele.

"We want the foundation of our program to revolve around a family atmosphere," Payne said. "We strive to recruit players who value and desire to be part of something bigger than themselves, and we definitely found this in Peanut."

During the in-home recruiting visit, Payne brought along assistant coaches Shandrika Lee and Alex Earl.

"We had the best home visit," Payne said. "It just so happened that all of her siblings were home, and that never happens. Her brother [Syrus] plays football at Fresno State and it was their bye week so the whole family was there, and it was just a crazy, fun, emotional visit. We all connected really well. I don't think she had any intention of committing at that point. She had visits planned, but she committed on our home visit and it was really special and emotional."

It was the most unique verbal commitment Payne has ever received. But it was an even bigger moment for Tuitele.

"It was probably the best and most emotional moment of my life," Tuitele said. "Not only did I get to commit in my hometown, but I got to commit in front of my whole family. It was a super emotional night for my parents and siblings, just to show them that their hard work paid off as well. That's why I wanted to commit at home rather than on my official visit. I was ready to pull the trigger on my official, but my parents said 'wait.' It was the best thing I've ever done in my life. It felt right, 100 percent. We had a private meeting, and my dad said he thought I should [commit]. He wasn't on the official visit, so I needed him to understand what I was talking about and why I was bragging about this being my team. Once he said that, I knew it was a done deal...My parents are my biggest influence; they're the ones that raised me from the ground to what I am now."

On the court, all Tuitele does is win. She led Pleasant Valley High School to a combined 94-21 record during her high school career, and culminated those four years by reaching the state championship game this past winter. She was named first-team all-state (her third all-state award) and All-Northern Section MVP (for the second time in her career) as a senior. Her team's leader throughout her career, she averaged 15.1 points and 9.0 rebounds in 2017-18, and had 21 points and 10 rebounds in 57-42 loss to Redondo Union in the state final.

"It was just a year of growth as a player, and also as an individual off the court, having a leadership role on a young team with a lot of freshmen and sophomores and setting high standards for them," Tuitele said of her senior season at Pleasant Valley. "It was a big role, but I love leadership. I was in student government and would coordinate all the rallies and make them as fun as possible."

Tuitele should provide immediate help in the post for the Buffs. At 6-foot-1, she comes to college with good size and physical strength to play down on the block.

"My strength is definitely my size," Tuitele said. "I'm a bigger girl. I play [power forward], so I can play inside-out, but I think I'm more dominant on the inside because I've been trained my whole life to play inside. My weakness is the perimeter, but the coaches are doing their best to get me to up to speed."

She's worked hard to improve her shooting, but her size and physical strength will allow her to compete in the Pac-12 immediately, regardless of her shot. Payne also said that Tuitele's shooting has improved, along with her ball-handling skills on the perimeter, noting that when she grabs a rebound, she has the ability to push the ball up the floor without needing to find a guard to pass to.

"She's different from other kids in that she's pretty physical," Payne said. "A lot of times young players aren't ready for the physicality, but she has no problem with it, she's built for it. She's extremely strong and grew up with a bunch of older brothers, so she can hold her own."

Payne also thinks she can take a leadership role on the team, despite her relative youth as a freshman.

"I think she's going to have a great career here," Payne said. "The first time I ever talked to Peanut on the phone, I think I called [assistant coach Shandrika Lee] right after and said, 'that might be the coolest kid I've ever talked to in 18 years of coaching.' I fell in love with her immediately. She just has this aura and energy about her that's uplifting. She never has a bad day. We love that type of infectious spirit. We've only had a couple of workouts [as a team], but she's already one of the loudest players in workouts, talking, leading and dancing. She just brings an incredible energy, along with the basketball. Her spirit is already growing our culture."

A well-rounded athlete, Tuitele also played volleyball in high school. She was a team leader in kills and blocks. She said several parts of volleyball translated to the basketball court, including timing, footwork and her vertical jump.

"Peanut"
Tuitele was given the nickname "Peanut" when she was born. That nickname has stuck with her as she's grown up.

"My dad held me for the first time and he was like, 'this is it, this is my little peanut.' At first in elementary school, I was embarrassed. I didn't want anyone to call me 'Peanut,' just call me 'Sirena.' I hated it. But now that I'm older, I love Peanut. It's unique and it's who I am now and it defines the person I am. And it's also special to my family because I'm holding out a nickname from them that is supposed to end in elementary school."

I'm liking what I'm reading in this thread.

Someone said that Payne is having difficulty recruiting bigs to Boulder...I don't think it is that much different from the men...seems like bigs in general just don't like Boulder LOL.

I'm thinking there really isn't that much difference between the two basketball programs at CU.

I'm liking what I'm reading in this thread.

Someone said that Payne is having difficulty recruiting bigs to Boulder...I don't think it is that much different from the men...seems like bigs in general just don't like Boulder LOL.

I'm thinking there really isn't that much difference between the two basketball programs at CU.
Currently or in general? Because if you take the long view, I don't think they're close at all. WBB has been way more successful and has a very rich pedigree.

Daily Camera story on Kai Volcy

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbaske...rings-untapped-potential-cu-womens-basketball

20180713__14BZWBBw~1.jpg

Kai Volcy brings untapped potential to CU women's basketball

The Buffs won't be asking their center — who is every bit of her listed height of 6-4 — to be shooting 3s very often, but Payne is already enjoying Volcy's willingness to learn and adapt to what coaches are asking her to do.

"It's almost better coming in (as a late bloomer)," Payne said. "There's no real bad habits we have to undo. We're over the top excited about Kai because we feel like we can just mold her into whatever we want from a basketball standpoint."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back