What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB Game Thread: Senior Day vs Ducks

Ducks have closed the gap at end of 3rd, CU up 60-48. A few too many turnovers by CU plus a tremendous game by OU's Hebard.

What a season. This staff has improved this team and program beyond what I thought could be possible for their first season. I hope we can win next Sunday and go into the tournament confident.

So happy that Haley Smith got to get her 1000 points at home and get to celebrate it in front of the home fans.

Started on fire. JR knew Oregon would make half time adjustments and they did. However, the Buffs stayed focused.

Like the way JR put the 4 seniors in at the end so she could take them out and they got their ovation. Kids deserved that.

I do hope they can beat Washington State and go in to the Pac12 Tourney with a W. They have 5 Pac12 wins so far compared to 2 last season.

Fun game to watch. 3 point shooting was much improved over Friday.

4K+ at the game today which included many families with their young children. The concessions stands were massively unprepared for the demand for popcorn.

As for the game - the Buffs got off to a fast start that enabled them to hold off Oregon in the second half. During the early staged of the game the Buffs were able to convert steals into layups and open looks into baskets. It reminded me of many of the non-conference games where they played with confidence and without fear. Haley Smith got things rolling on offense and Alexis Robinson and Makenzie Ellis were able to hit many key shots. Smith, Robinson, and Ellis all scored in double figures as did Kennedy.

In the second half the Ducks adjustments saw them cut down on turnovers and get the ball into freshman post Ruthy Hebard who has a monstrous second half by posting up low and scoring regularly. CU really could not stop her once she got the ball. The Buffs didn't help themselves by committing silly turnovers. But they were able to hit critical shots to keep the lead in double-digits.

Haley Smith had a double-double as did Kennedy - with points and assists of course. It was nice to see the Buffs win without depending on Kennedy to score a ton of points down the stretch.

All three of Oregon's double-digit scorers this afternoon are freshmen.

Once again the Buffs were out-rebounded, but they hit 50% of their shots from the floor and committed fewer turnovers than the Ducks.

Alexis Robinson had 11 points at the half, but only scored once in the second half, but it was a big three-pointer. She also had three steals.

CU has guaranteed a .500 record, I still hope they can get a win at WSU thus guaranteeing a +.500 prior to the WNIT :).

4K+ at the game today which included many families with their young children. The concessions stands were massively unprepared for the demand for popcorn.

As for the game - the Buffs got off to a fast start that enabled them to hold off Oregon in the second half. During the early staged of the game the Buffs were able to convert steals into layups and open looks into baskets. It reminded me of many of the non-conference games where they played with confidence and without fear. Haley Smith got things rolling on offense and Alexis Robinson and Makenzie Ellis were able to hit many key shots. Smith, Robinson, and Ellis all scored in double figures as did Kennedy.

In the second half the Ducks adjustments saw them cut down on turnovers and get the ball into freshman post Ruthy Hebard who has a monstrous second half by posting up low and scoring regularly. CU really could not stop her once she got the ball. The Buffs didn't help themselves by committing silly turnovers. But they were able to hit critical shots to keep the lead in double-digits.

Haley Smith had a double-double as did Kennedy - with points and assists of course. It was nice to see the Buffs win without depending on Kennedy to score a ton of points down the stretch.

All three of Oregon's double-digit scorers this afternoon are freshmen.

Once again the Buffs were out-rebounded, but they hit 50% of their shots from the floor and committed fewer turnovers than the Ducks.

Alexis Robinson had 11 points at the half, but only scored once in the second half, but it was a big three-pointer. She also had three steals.

CU has guaranteed a .500 record, I still hope they can get a win at WSU thus guaranteeing a +.500 prior to the WNIT :).

WSU just turned into a huge game. We don't want to have to win in the tourney.

While I certainly hope to see the Buffs continue to put wins on the board, this win over Oregon was the big W they needed. They are now guaranteed of WNIT eligibility and I would be very surprised if they don't get an invite. The worst they could end up for the season is right at .500

Per the WNIT web site here's the rule for at-large team eligibility:
" At-large Berths
The remaining 32 berths in the Postseason WNIT will be filled by the best teams available. All Division I teams are eligible for consideration. Any team considered for an at-large berth must have an overall record of .500 or better. Overall record includes conference tournament games. "

It's tough to beat a team on Senior Day and that is what the Buffs will be facing when they play Washington State.

JR said in the post game interview she could live with fewer rebounds because of the higher shooting % and the assists.

While I certainly hope to see the Buffs continue to put wins on the board, this win over Oregon was the big W they needed. They are now guaranteed of WNIT eligibility and I would be very surprised if they don't get an invite. The worst they could end up for the season is right at .500

Per the WNIT web site here's the rule for at-large team eligibility:
" At-large Berths
The remaining 32 berths in the Postseason WNIT will be filled by the best teams available. All Division I teams are eligible for consideration. Any team considered for an at-large berth must have an overall record of .500 or better. Overall record includes conference tournament games. "

Agree Oregon was a huge game. WSU just clinches it.

Agree Oregon was a huge game. WSU just clinches it.
The win at Cal was huge too, it gave them some breathing room. And it was a quality win as well.

I think this team is capable of winning at WSU, but it will be a challenge as stated previously. Personally, I'd like to see the Buffs go into the WNIT with a winning record.

BTW, the selection takes place on Monday, March 13 after the NCAA tourney selection has taken place.

Kentucky has been in and out of the rankings all season. They are back in again this week. That win looks better and better.

Massey Ratings gives CU 5%. I think that's probably on the high side.

Agree. Game doesn't start until 10 PM my time. Depending on how competitive it is, I may get to go to bed at the half. Or maybe not. We seem to play teams well for a half. I'd be happy to stay up late and see a major upset!

Back