What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB hosts Rocky Mountain Hoops Classic (Buffs vs. Miss. Valley, Friday noon;Sat.- championship 2:30)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Preview article (preview portion also quoted below, after 1st part of article discusses contributions the new Buffs have made, especially in rebounding.) -

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11...mmediate-impact-in-buffs-rebounding-game.aspx

"
UP NEXT
CU hosts the Rocky Mountain Hoops Classic this weekend at the Coors Events Center. Friday's action tips off at noon when the Buffs host Mississippi Valley State, followed by Drake and George Mason at 2:30 p.m. The tournament will conclude on Saturday with the consolation game starting at noon, followed by the championship.

SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
Mississippi Valley State enters the weekend 0-2, dropping a pair of road games at UAB and Southern Miss. While the Devilettes have struggled on the glass (-23.5 rebounds per game), they have done well in the turnover battle (+9.5 per game). Kristy Parker is the team's top scorer, averaging 20.0 points. Desiray Mosley (17.0) and LaKendra Bassett (13.5) also average double digits in scoring.

George Mason takes a 4-1 record into tonight's game against Illinois State. The Patriots are boosted by two newcomers this season in UConn grad transfer Natalie Butler and freshman Nicole Cardaño-Hillary. Butler is a 6-foot-5 post and averaging 16.2 points and 12.8 rebounds. Cardaño-Hillary, a freshman from Spain, averages a team-best 17.2 points. Sophomore Jacy Bolton is also averaging 13.0 points and 5.8 rebounds.

Drake is 2-2 entering the weekend with wins at home over Milwaukee and Liberty and road losses at Oregon and Wyoming. Becca Hittner (13.5), Sara Rhine (13.0) and Sammie Bachrodt (12.8) all average double figures in scoring. The Bulldogs are coming off a 28-5 season last year, that included a trip to the NCAA Tournament.
"
_________________________________________________________________________________

Live Video (Free live stream; only showing for Friday's Buff game against Mississippi Valley State on the cubuffs.com schedule, but from Game Notes looks like whichever Saturday game the Buffs play in may (???) also have video.?.) - http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live Audio (Stream of 1190 KVCU Radio broadcast, at least, I'm assuming, for the 2 Buff games. Schedule showing audio for all 4 games, whether Buffs are involved or not.) - http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1167&type=Live

Live Stats (For all 4 games in the tournament ) - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wbball/

Reading a small amount about both Drake and George Mason, I believe that GMU will win that one and give the Buffs a challenge. They have a 6-5 post that has Natalie Butler who began her career at Georgetown, played two season at UConn and then grad transferred to GMU. It appears the Buff post players would get a real challenge from playing against here and GMU.

Last season, IIRC, MVSU gave the Buffs a hard time down in Itta Bena. Trivia question: who is MVSU's most famous alumni?

Rant time - CU v MVSU on Friday at noon? Seriously? I know the CU coaches want to play the first game of the tourney so they can scout the Drake v MVSU, but noon? Yes, there is a bit volleyball match the same day, but it doesn't start until 8 pm.

who is MVSU's most famous alumni? Jerry Rice?

I don't understand why the tournament games are being played during the daytime again this season. If I recall correctly, there was not a volleyball match last year during the tournament.

The tournament has always been in the evenings since it start (through all of it's name changes) until last season. I don't understand either.

who is MVSU's most famous alumni? Jerry Rice?
Okay, who was his quarterback?

The tournament has always been in the evenings since it start (through all of it's name changes) until last season. I don't understand either.
Glad I'm not the only one that's annoyed about this. It's not going to help attendance. And not just because of "Black Friday." Hopefully I'll make it to at least one game.

Okay, who was his quarterback?

Glad I'm not the only one that's annoyed about this. It's not going to help attendance. And not just because of "Black Friday." Hopefully I'll make it to at least one game.

Willie Totten?

I was not happy when I emailed the women's basketball office to make sure they were having the annual Thanksgiving tournament and received a message that there would be a tournament and the games would be played during the day.

Talked to my friend last night and she isn't happy with the times either. Traditionally Senior Night for volleyball has been on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving--until the Pac 12.

This is the result we needed today. Legs will be as fresh as possible for the game tomorrow afternoon.

Silly me - I was posting earlier on the wrong thread.

CU as you would expect had a size and talent advantage that really took effect in the third quarter. The Buffs ran away with the game during that period and the almost forty point margin of victory was only that "close" as there was plenty of playing time for the bench. Starters such as Kennedy Leonard played less than 20 minutes. There was plenty of substituting in the second and fourth quarters.

MVSU played a 2-3 zone while the Buffs went man-to-man. Early on CU wasn't playing with a lot of intensity and when they substituted liberally it seemed to slow down the offense. Three newcomers were making the case for playing time with the injury to Quinessa Caylao-Do: Mathilde Diop, Peyton Carter and Sara Castro. Diop had a double-double and five steals. The other two were fairly steady.

I assume that's the better RPI game. Just gotta win.
It appears that it will be an important RPI game for both teams. Cu won't have many non-conference challenges like GMU presents the rest of the ay leading up to conference play.

As for today's game, Mathilde Diop got her first significant playing time (22 minutes) and took advantage. Not only did she net a double-double, what's likely to earn her more playing time in the near future is the five steals she was credited with. One aspect of her game I am not sure is suited to Pac-12 play is her shooting form. It takes her a bit of time to load-up her shot which I'm not sure she'll be able to do against better competition. Still her rebounding and steals are going to get her on the court.

Peyton Carter was credited with five assists. She isn't polished, but that's a very nice start.

Kennedy had seven assists in only 19 minutes. Many were from long passes in transition. Annika Jank has quickly figured out that if when runs the court she'll get on the end of Kennedy's passes for easy baskets.

Janea Bunn had five blocks in 17 minutes and again they slammed right back at the shooter.

All of the starters got significant rest in preparation for tomorrow's game.

Bunn's blocks were in your face blocks. Bunn is a smooth basketball player.

Diop will keep getting better. Being an international player, she had the same type of issues as Tad's international player. She didn't get to campus until Labor Day so she missed what the team did over the summer.

Game underway. It's 22-17 Buffs at the end of the 1st quarter.

Leonard with 2 quick fouls (in 8 minutes)- be interesting to see if she plays much or at all in the 2nd quarter.

And Leonard IS back in at around the 8-1/2 minute mark.

Buffs give up 1st 6 points of the quarter to go down 1, Buff timeout.

Jank with last basket of half to give Buffs the lead, 36-35. If CU doesn’t figure out how to rebound they’ll be likely to lose.

Vintage Kennedy on offense - doing it with 2 fouls.

And it's 36-35 Buffs at the half.

Buffs went through a stretch where they couldn't clear a defensive board (they're down 3-10 on offensive rebounds), and they're also on the wrong side of the turnover stat (10-7), but are shooting well (53%, including 4-9 from 3), and looking very confident with their moves and shots as GMU switches constantly between zone and man defenses.

Leonard was out the last 3 minutes or so after what looked like a poke in the eye, but checks back in.

Solid win. Think we'll be favored in the rest of the non-conference games. Need to get those and keep building confidence + resume heading into Pac-12 play.

Back