What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB Official Game Thread -- CU vs W Kentucky

Buffs tied up on a shot attempt. Jump ball- possession arrow to W. Ky. Their ball.

Reese called for the foul. W. Ky at the line. 73-71 W. Ky. 1:25 left.

Forced 3 by the Buffs. W. Ky ball.

They get side jumper- 75-71 W. Ky.

Foul on them with 42 seconds left. Sborov makes 1 of 2. 75-72. Timeout.

3 pointer for Reese. Then, quick foul.

77-75 W. Ky pending free throws. They make both free throws. 4 point lead.

Then. Reese gets a quick 2 and a foul. 79-78 after Reese makes free throw. 20 seconds left.

Buffs pressing- almost get steal by Kressel, but goes out on her (pending video review by officials.) 19 seconds left.

Kressel gets a layup opportunity, but it doesn't fall. Buffs lose 80-78 after a last second foul by them is too late to give the Buffs even a last second attempt. Oops- they put .3 second back on the clock.

Well- they kept trying.

Rebounding (or lack thereof) when the other team was missing free throws sounded like a big problem. Disappointing start to the season. They may end up missing Ariel more than I thought they would.

Now, its officially over, and Buffs lose by 2.

Although they slightly out-rebounded W Ky overall, the Buffs gave up 25 offensive boards, which was one of the main reasons for the defeat.

Note- before the stream stopped, sounds like the announcers were saying the Buffs will be home Saturday night against Arkansas State for a consolation game.

Based on what I saw tonight, I'd say that this is is not a good team.

I was glad to see Rick George in the crowd. I realize we lost Arielle for the season but of Lappe doesn't show significant improvement with this team by the end of the season, then maybe we can get a new coach. Losing at home to stanford is one thing. Losing set home to a school like WKU is not a good sign.

This team disappointed last year after a great start. This year at least there wont be any expectations to do much since we've started poorly from the beginning.

Kressel gets a layup opportunity, but it doesn't fall. Buffs lose 80-78 after a last second foul is too late to give the Buffs a last second attempt.

Know Arielle being out is a killer and WKU is sneaky good, but we're edging closer to "results" time for Lappe. Don't want to write off this season yet, but this program has to find a way to win some games. Worrying part of tonight is this happened at home. If we can't protect home court, we'll go under quickly once Pac12 play rolls around.

Based on what I saw tonight, I'd say that this is is not a good team.

I was glad to see Rick George in the crowd. I realize we lost Arielle for the season but of Lappe doesn't show significant improvement with this team by the end of the season, then maybe we can get a new coach. Losing at home to stanford is one thing. Losing set home to a school like WKU is not a good sign.

This team disappointed last year after a great start. This year at least there wont be any expectations to do much since we've started poorly from the beginning.
I think you're off base here. Wku is a quality team, I think receiving votes, almost certainly bound for ncaa. I thought this was a great game for us, tons of mistakes and missed opportunities, but also a lot of fight, and great pre conf training

Rebounding (or lack thereof) when the other team was missing free throws sounded like a big problem. Disappointing start to the season. They may end up missing Ariel more than I thought they would.

More than that is that they need a real HC. I do not think Lappe is the answer at this level. Showed last and will even be worse this season under her.

A few notes just reviewing the stats (won't bother mentioning the team rebounding much again)-

1) Other than Jen Reese being the leader in points (24) and tied for lead in rebounds (11, with guard Jasmine Sborov), not much production, at least statistically, from the front court. And, other than Reese and Lexy Kressel (20 points), no other Buffs in double figures (Beard Fails closest with 8).

2) Having to overcome the big offensive rebounding issue, the 2 factors which appears to have kept this close-

a) Both teams had almost same # of free throws (39 W Ky vs. Buffs 40), but Buffs made 7 more and shot a solid 75% vs. 59% for W. Ky
b) W. Ky took A LOT of 3 pointers (30), but only made 4. (Buffs were 6-14.)

3) Another big negative for the Buffs were turnovers- 24, as opposed to 14 for W Ky. Be interested to see how many of those were after the Buffs got a defensive rebound and just weren't able to control the ball afterwards due to good W. Ky pressure. (The 2 leaders for the Buffs in that category were front court players.)

Maybe Lappe can coach up this team and we will see the team competing in the Pac 12. The volleyball team started slow and has really been impressive in Pac 12 play. Hopefully Lappe's buffs do the same?

I do have to say- last year I really followed the team and was excited to see the ranking. But after the brutal Pac 12 season and huge disappointment, i was disappointed. I really don't have much enthusiasm for this season after tonight's game. I really like Bri Watts at center and some of the new freshmen. Sadly, Lappe should be farther along in rebuilding this.

Finishing 10th-12th just won't cut it this year, in my opinion.

I think you're off base here. Wku is a quality team, I think receiving votes, almost certainly bound for ncaa. I thought this was a great game for us, tons of mistakes and missed opportunities, but also a lot of fight, and great pre conf training

Frustrating loss, but I think we need to be patient with Lappe. Young coach who is going to keep getting better. Importantly, last year I was getting concerned with recruiting after some assistant coach turnover but it got turned around this year and that 2015 class may be the best yet.

Missed opportunity tonight, but it's a long season. I think this team will figure it out.

I wouldn't jump off the Lappe bandwagon just yet. WKU is a pretty good team and most likely are going to make the NCAA tourney again. CU is still figuring out what it takes to win tight games. This isn't to say I am pleased right now either. It's frustrating seeing that the issues which cost them many a game last season are still there - even with three solid seniors.

But here's the deal, there after the seniors there is one junior (Jamee Swan) and the rest are sophomores and freshmen. So in some ways there is a need for younger/less experienced players to really produce.

I think CU has the talent to squeak into the NCAA tourney this season. But they aren't good enough talent wise to just step on the court and go through the motions and come away with a win. So there must be a drastic reduction in turnovers and fouls. Jamee Swan must get more than 14 minutes of playing time in tight games. Take her out and there goes shot blocking, rebounding and points in the paint that the team really has to have.

One thing I agree with from a previous post is that 10th place in conference play doesn't cut it, even if the team makes a run in the NIT.

I wouldn't jump off the Lappe bandwagon just yet. WKU is a pretty good team and most likely are going to make the NCAA tourney again. CU is still figuring out what it takes to win tight games. This isn't to say I am pleased right now either. It's frustrating seeing that the issues which cost them many a game last season are still there - even with three solid seniors.

But here's the deal, there after the seniors there is one junior (Jamee Swan) and the rest are sophomores and freshmen. So in some ways there is a need for younger/less experienced players to really produce.

I think CU has the talent to squeak into the NCAA tourney this season. But they aren't good enough talent wise to just step on the court and go through the motions and come away with a win. So there must be a drastic reduction in turnovers and fouls. Jamee Swan must get more than 14 minutes of playing time in tight games. Take her out and there goes shot blocking, rebounding and points in the paint that the team really has to have.

One thing I agree with from a previous post is that 10th place in conference play doesn't cut it, even if the team makes a run in the NIT.

Wish I shared your optimism for this season. I agree WKU is good, but it sure feels like another 6-12ish Pac record is on tap to me.

Lappe had some extremely good players her first years here. There has been a drop off in talent for sure. Her recruiting class she just signed is ridiculously good. May finish bottom half again this year, but I think its a case of her hitting a recruiting lull then it is an issue with coaching. This year could still end up being a good one, next year is going to be fun.

Lappe had some extremely good players her first years here. There has been a drop off in talent for sure. Her recruiting class she just signed is ridiculously good. May finish bottom half again this year, but I think its a case of her hitting a recruiting lull then it is an issue with coaching. This year could still end up being a good one, next year is going to be fun.

I am not giving up on Lappe. She recruited the 23rd ranked class for next fall while losing two assistant coaches. Of this year's freshman, the only one I am really impressed with is Brecca Thomas. However, they can be taught. Last year's team was hurt by injuries by the time the Pac 12 season rolled around. We have lost Arielle and have to hope nobody else gets seriously injured.

In today's rankings, WVU is ranked. We lost the Wilson twins who played great defense. I don't see anybody playing the tenacious defense they played at this point. I like Jen Reese and Lexy Kresl. Swan still has to learn to pick her moments to foul. The team still makes too many turnovers and is sorely lacking at the center position.

I would like to add that this year's team is the first with all Lappe recruits. Spears, Jeffrey and the Wilsons were all recruited by the previous coaching staff. Hartig was Lappe's first recruit.

Tough loss but we need to keep this in perspective. WKU is one of the elite mid-majors in the country, right up there with Green Bay, Gonzaga, Dayton, etc. It is no insult to lose a game to these teams. That's why this WNIT tournament is such a great venue. Last night it was top 25 Purdue losing to Green Bay. Last week Penn State lost to Albany and, before the preseason is over, there will be more.

I think that sometimes we fail to understand just how difficult this move to the Pac12 was for WBB here. It changed the entire landscape for the recruiting program and spun us into neverland for a few years. Unless you are an elite program like UConn or Stanford, recruitment depends a lot on geography and we had almost no identity in Cali or the Northwest, where the best talent lies. It is only now that we have been able to go outside the Pac12 area to land recruits and I am very surprised by that. In WBB, recruiting is the difference maker and WBB recruits are totally different than MBB. Boys will go anywhere but girls are hesitant about playing too far from the comfort of families and friends. I also see this new staff as, not only being able to coach from their high level playing experience but also to be able to use that as a recruiting tool.

As far as this year's team goes, well that depends on how quickly the younger players improve and how much leadership and desire the upperclassmen have inside of them. They didn't lose this game because of lack of effort, or because they gave up. They scrapped until the buzzer and almost pulled it out. The problem was they dug themselves into a hole with sloppy play and poor shooting. That can be corrected and I think it will.

Go Buffs

Tough loss but we need to keep this in perspective. WKU is one of the elite mid-majors in the country, right up there with Green Bay, Gonzaga, Dayton, etc. It is no insult to lose a game to these teams. That's why this WNIT tournament is such a great venue. Last night it was top 25 Purdue losing to Green Bay. Last week Penn State lost to Albany and, before the preseason is over, there will be more.

I think that sometimes we fail to understand just how difficult this move to the Pac12 was for WBB here. It changed the entire landscape for the recruiting program and spun us into neverland for a few years. Unless you are an elite program like UConn or Stanford, recruitment depends a lot on geography and we had almost no identity in Cali or the Northwest, where the best talent lies. It is only now that we have been able to go outside the Pac12 area to land recruits and I am very surprised by that. In WBB, recruiting is the difference maker and WBB recruits are totally different than MBB. Boys will go anywhere but girls are hesitant about playing too far from the comfort of families and friends. I also see this new staff as, not only being able to coach from their high level playing experience but also to be able to use that as a recruiting tool.

As far as this year's team goes, well that depends on how quickly the younger players improve and how much leadership and desire the upperclassmen have inside of them. They didn't lose this game because of lack of effort, or because they gave up. They scrapped until the buzzer and almost pulled it out. The problem was they dug themselves into a hole with sloppy play and poor shooting. That can be corrected and I think it will.

Go Buffs

Agree with all that you say. We generally did not get players from California or the Northwest. One here and there and that has been it over the years. I would like to think that the two new assistant coaches, who have great playing backgrounds, can coach. That is yet to be seen.

WKU won the semifinal tonight and will face Mississippi State (who knocked off WVU, the Big 12 champ from last season) in the final. If we had to lose, I hope that WKU wins the whole thing.

WKU won the semifinal tonight and will face Mississippi State (who knocked off WVU, the Big 12 champ from last season) in the final. If we had to lose, I hope that WKU wins the whole thing.

For sure. It really lessens the RPI hit down the road.

Got to beat Arkansas State on Saturday and things will be on track.

Running the table until the last 2 non-conference games is very attainable. Then, pulling a split from @Iowa and @Missouri before taking the final 2 in Boulder would position the Buffs very well heading into Pac-12 play.

Need to make it happen.

Iowa killed Pepperdine last night, going 15-26 from 3 point land. This team had better learn to defend the 3 if they have any hope of beating Iowa. Pepperdine stayed with Iowa for a half, but Iowa took off after that. Unless they play out of their minds in Iowa City, the team I saw in Boulder last weekend can not beat Iowa. Iowa also draws a crowd.

Missouri is much improved from their Big 12 days when they were the cellar dweller.

Back