What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB ranking

Most posters on the Cal boards see CU as the legitimate 3rd team to solidly represent the conference in the upcoming dance. Lots of respect given to the CU team. Good luck against fUCLA...think you take them. The Buffs are a legitimate top 20 team regardless. Well coached, talented and the team plays with heart and energy. Good luck here on out. We'll be rooting for you...

After losing both road games against Top 10 teams, the Buffs were respected in the polls for playing well. I think the voters are aware that we're 15-0 when not playing Cal or Stanford and that we are close enough that they both need to worry about the Buffs in the Pac-12 tourney.

AP: #22
Coach's: #23

Great opportunity to move up Friday night with a game at #18/19 UCLA.

The voter who didn't vote for CU in the writer's poll last week, did vote for CU this week after the two losses. Must have been an oversight a week ago.

Regardless beat UCLA and USC.

The 2/4 AP poll is out and CU has moved up one spot to 21. UCLA, after handily beating both CU and Utah also moved up one spot to 17. Washington getting a bit of notice... they came in "receiving votes" with 4 points.

So we actually moved up after the loss? Interesting.
Not just the loss. We split the two games over the weekend. So its moved up after loss to UCLA (who was ranked ahead of us) and a win over USC. It helps too that both Okie and Okie lite, who were ranked ahead of us last week lost to unranked West Virginia and fell a few spots and are now behind us.

I kind of had a giggle with the email from CU where they bold the CU opponents on the list. They didn't highlight Washington.

Exciting to think where we might be ranked if we can pick up wins left and right here down the stretch.

Exciting to think where we might be ranked if we can pick up wins left and right here down the stretch.
It would be nice to see what could happen wouldn't it??

But at least from an rpi perspective, it won't do much since the only remaining team with a good rpi is UW. Warren Nolan has us at rpi=22 today. Team is projected to only lose one more game in the regular season and to finish with an rpi of 22 ... right where we are today. I'm looking more at rpi than at the polls right now since thats the key to the Big Dance.

It would be nice to see what could happen wouldn't it??

But at least from an rpi perspective, it won't do much since the only remaining team with a good rpi is UW. Warren Nolan has us at rpi=22 today. Team is projected to only lose one more game in the regular season and to finish with an rpi of 22 ... right where we are today. I'm looking more at rpi than at the polls right now since thats the key to the Big Dance.

Agree completely about RPI being most important, and we're probably not going to climb too much more even if we go 8-1, although top 20 RPI is very possible. And as silly as the "conventional" polls can be this time of year, it would be incredible to see us sneak to 15th if some teams ahead of us drop some games.

If we win like we expect, we'll be in great shape. The main thing that could boost our RPI is the performance of our opponents. Seeding too. Louisville in the Top 10 and Illinois getting some upsets (maybe Purdue) down the stretch would help a lot. Also need to watch how the MWC shakes out since we played like 1/3 of the conference.

If we win like we expect, we'll be in great shape. The main thing that could boost our RPI is the performance of our opponents. Seeding too. Louisville in the Top 10 and Illinois getting some upsets (maybe Purdue) down the stretch would help a lot. Also need to watch how the MWC shakes out since we played like 1/3 of the conference.

Looks like Louisville will finish 25-5 (13-3) or 24-6 (12-4), losing at #2 Notre Dame and depending on whether they can successfully navigate a tricky trip to #24 Syracuse.

Crucial upcoming game for Illinois next @ Michigan.

New AP poll has CU hanging on to #21 ... barely. By one point over Oklahoma. Oregon is so low on the rpi that CU's win over them yesterday caused a drop of 5 spots on rpi. Brian Howell (Camera WBB writer & AP voter) had tweeted yesterday that he thought it very possible that CU would drop after the sweep of the Oregon schools and Okie's win over Okie Lite (both schools ranked slightly below CU last week).

New AP poll has CU hanging on to #21 ... barely. By one point over Oklahoma. Oregon is so low on the rpi that CU's win over them yesterday caused a drop of 5 spots on rpi. Brian Howell (Camera WBB writer & AP voter) had tweeted yesterday that he thought it very possible that CU would drop after the sweep of the Oregon schools and Okie's win over Okie Lite (both schools ranked slightly below CU last week).

I was afraid this might happen. We need to get those 2 road wins next week. Getting our conference record to look impressive and getting the RPI bump from road wins should launch us a bit.

Brian Howell has pointed out something I missed ... even tho we just held on to #21, we gained about 20 points in the voting.

Brian Howell has pointed out something I missed ... even tho we just held on to #21, we gained about 20 points in the voting.

It sounds like the biggest hurdle is getting voters aware of CU and used to seeing us in the Top 25 when the rankings come out. Once everyone who votes is on board, then we'll be able to make some significant moves. Also, I've noticed that WBB voters seem to care a lot more about who you play than whether you win. On the men's side, you lose you drop. That doesn't seem to be the logic with the WBB voters.

In the women's poll, a big name program can lose and it doesn't hurt them. A team in CU's position with the voters can't do that. If we lose to an unranked team, we drop out. If the big name team loses to a ranked team, they had a bad night and might go down a couple of places for a week.

In the women's coaches' poll, the coaches do not yet respect Coach Lappe. I hope their respect for her is growing weekly as she deserves it.

In the women's poll, a big name program can lose and it doesn't hurt them. A team in CU's position with the voters can't do that. If we lose to an unranked team, we drop out. If the big name team loses to a ranked team, they had a bad night and might go down a couple of places for a week.

In the women's coaches' poll, the coaches do not yet respect Coach Lappe. I hope their respect for her is growing weekly as she deserves it.

Soon, my friend. Soon.

Meh, it's not some anti -Lappe thing. Just win big games on the road and they'll notice. Cal's coach is in year two and perched nicely in the top 10 now.

Meh, it's not some anti -Lappe thing. Just win big games on the road and they'll notice. Cal's coach is in year two and perched nicely in the top 10 now.

The difference is Joanne Boyle had already set the stage for Cal. 4 NCAA Tournaments in her 6 years. Lindsay Gottlieb just had to walk in and take over a program that Boyle had done the hard process of laying the ground work.

Unfortunately, it would not at all shock me to see the Buffs seeded a little lower than they deserve to be this year, just based on people not used to/aware of our resurgence.

The difference is Joanne Boyle had already set the stage for Cal. 4 NCAA Tournaments in her 6 years. Lindsay Gottlieb just had to walk in and take over a program that Boyle had done the hard process of laying the ground work.

Unfortunately, it would not at all shock me to see the Buffs seeded a little lower than they deserve to be this year, just based on people not used to/aware of our resurgence.

Yeah, not saying she didn't have work to do, in fact I'm saying she still does, like beating ranked teams on the road. You're already a top 25 team, can't really expect all that much more till you get over that hump. Or UCLA type beat downs.

Last edited:

Our seeding this year might be predicated on which seeds are playing in Boulder, where we'd be a lock for the 1st 2 rounds.

ESPN's bracketology is showing Boulder getting the 6/11 and 3/14 matchups and CU getting the 6. I don't know if that alters if we're worthy or a 4 or 5 and Boulder gets different seeds.

Does anyone know? Could be that we're given a 3 we might now deserve if we're closer to being a 3 than a 6. The women's brackets are confusing with the home seeding.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Yeah, not saying she didn't have work to do, in fact I'm saying she still does, like beating ranked teams on the road. You're already a top 25 team, can't really expect all that much more till you get over that hump. Or UCLA type beat downs.

Everyone and their mother knows the UCLA game was the drastic exception to the rule. CU should have moved up a couple spots this week.

Everyone and their mother knows the UCLA game was the drastic exception to the rule. CU should have moved up a couple spots this week.

Yeah you guys are def better than that performance, but it still happened, which people clearly take into account.

Yeah you guys are def better than that performance, but it still happened, which people clearly take into account.

at Cal, at Stanford, at UCLA is a stretch few if any teams would be playing well in by their 3rd game.

CU is a top 20 team. They have their flaws, but there's a very, very good chance they'll be winning every single remaining game on the regular season slate.

CU is a top 20 team. They have their flaws, but there's a very, very good chance they'll be winning every single remaining game on the regular season slate.

I don't think they are a top 20 team just yet. Those teams can beat ranked teams on the road. CU can not do that yet. CU didn't move much in the polls this week because of the RPI of the Oregon schools and the teams around them did not lose. No place to move.

We are up to #20 this week with 253 pts, not too far behind #18 Delaware with 295 pts and #19 Florida State with 267 pts. #21 Syracuse has 196 pts.

We just need to take care of our own business and we can move up.

At this point I like seeing the women recognized in the rankings. Nice recognition for their talent and hard work and it also makes it easier to recruit.

More importantly though is that the ladies are putting themselves in position for a good seed that should allow them to advance in the tourney before having to face any highly experienced "power teams." At this stage of their development I don't know how far the team can go in the tourney but getting some winning experience under their belts could pay off huge in future seasons.

Back