What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB v Wyoming - Wednesday, 7 pm

MarkW

Last non-conference game and last game of the season versus a Front Range opponent.

As a season ticket holder I have a voucher for two free tickets for the game - PM me if you would like to use them.

Wyoming is 7-3 while the Buffs are 10-0. Last season the Buffs lost 68-77 in Laramie, while CU owns a 37-12 lead in the all-time series.

Sagarin's NCAAW ratings have this to say about the game:

Buffs are ranked as the 43rd best team in NCAAW Div-I with a 82.35 rating
Wyoming is ranked as the 122nd best team with a 71.39 rating.

Buffs get the 3.04 home bonus to bump up to 85.39

Wyoming is almost identical to Northern Colorado by rating:
Northern Colorado is ranked as the 123rd best team with a 70.87

The Buffs beat the Bears 83-62 and the game should more or less look like that. The Buffs on paper are the better team by some 14 points, if the Sagarin ratings correlate to this game. I can't see the Buffs losing this one. Mostly, though I just want to see long minutes for Caylao-Do and Eleanor Jones, before heading into the Pac-12 schedule where minutes are going to be harder to come by.

Any news on Huggins and her injury update and anticipated return? Hoping that Correal manages her fouls and gets her double double, and I'd love to see that pick and roll game with her and Leonard again (haven't really showcased that since the UK game). Still not sure where the pick & roll went. It destroyed UK. Want to see the Buffs protect the ball, play tough defense and more than anything focus on rebounding. If we can't rebound against the Cowgirls we can't rebound against the Pac-12 gauntlet.

Go Buffs!

As a season ticket holder I have a voucher for two free tickets for the game - PM me if you would like to use them.
I also have a voucher for 2 available. I had someone lined up to use it but it just fell thru. Anyone interested?

I was wondering why Zoe Beard-Fails didn't play in the last game. On the radio feed, they commented she wasn't available.

Also noted that Brecca Thomas didn't play and hoping that changes.

Go Buffs! I know Wyoming is always a tough game. It's another rivalry game and Wyo wants that notch in their belt of beating a ranked team.

All I have heard about Huggins is she has a deep bone bruise that happened over the summer. Have not heard when she might play again.

Coach Payne needed to sit Leonard sooner. She was attacking the basket to get fouled rather than trying to score. Wyoming didn't take the bait. I lost count on how many times the girl Leonard was guarding hit a 3 or drove right past her. That was just really bad defense. Once Leonard sat down and recomposed herself, she played better.

Disappointing 75-82 loss to end the non-conference slate.

I'm nervous about the Pac-12 season.

Disappointing 75-82 loss to end the non-conference slate.

I'm nervous about the Pac-12 season.
I agree. That was a very poorly played game by CU. Too many missed lay-ups, too many missed free throws, poor defense on good 3 point shooters, some foolish fouls, Kennedy Leonard playing to try to draw fouls instead of playing to make the basket, have I mentioned too many missed lay-ups and free throws?

Unfortunately this appears to have been a carryover from the game in Mississippi last Saturday. The Buffs were able to pull that one out but tonight Wyoming was too disciplined in their play and too good on their shooting, particularly in the second half. This confirms what has been said by several posters .... that CU was ranked way above their real level of play. And it does not bode well for the conference games unless this loss gets their attention and they turn some of these things around.

Abonden ship; 10-1 in non-conference is unacceptable.
After watching the game tonight I'd say yes, assuming they continue to play like this poorly on both ends of the court.

Too many missed lay-ups, too many missed free throws, poor defense on good 3 point shooters, some foolish fouls, Kennedy Leonard playing to try to draw fouls instead of playing to make the basket, have I mentioned too many missed lay-ups and free throws?
It seemed that after the first quarter the Buffs were out of sync offensively. This was in part due to the tempo of the game that was played at the pace Wyoming liked: deliberate. Facing a deficit, the Buffs seemed to struggle under pressure. And this didn't help, Haley Smith was 0-5 for the night. That isn't going to cut it in the tight game. For much of the game, I felt that Kennedy was playing perhaps her worst game of the season. She was pressing too much on offense and was playing a the matador role on defense getting beat too often.

Defensively I have been worried all season, and tonight it came to fruition. Wyo either got to the basket or kicked it out for a wide open trey. Over and over again. Outside of the first quarter CU was struggling to figure out how to defend and only had a tiny bit of success in the fourth quarter with the press. Wyoming hit 50% of their shots from the field for the night.

More thought later.

After watching the game tonight I'd say yes, assuming they continue to play like this poorly on both ends of the court.

It seemed that after the first quarter the Buffs were out of sync offensively. This was in part due to the tempo of the game that was played at the pace Wyoming liked: deliberate. Facing a deficit, the Buffs seemed to struggle under pressure. And this didn't help, Haley Smith was 0-5 for the night. That isn't going to cut it in the tight game. For much of the game, I felt that Kennedy was playing perhaps her worst game of the season. She was pressing too much on offense and was playing a the matador role on defense getting beat too often.

Defensively I have been worried all season, and tonight it came to fruition. Wyo either got to the basket or kicked it out for a wide open trey. Over and over again. Outside of the first quarter CU was struggling to figure out how to defend and only had a tiny bit of success in the fourth quarter with the press. Wyoming hit 50% of their shots from the field for the night.

More thought later.
No doubt they struggled tonight and that these are the struggles that most would have projected for this season. My point is they have already won 10 games which most would have predicted at the high end of the range for the entire season. This is a young team that lacks talent at the 4 & 5 and lacks depth across the board, yet they are 5 wins away from qualifying for postseason eligibility. To even consider that two months ago would have been all but unthinkable. And as far as Leonard playing her worst game of the season no doubt she was pressing early. But a game is 40 minutes and what she did in the 4th with 20 straight points and an unbelievable pass that set up a layup that would have tied the game if Zoe had finished. Lets hope she has 19 or 20 more games just like it. May have been one of the best quarters by an individual player in years.

Last edited:
The first quarter was fun to watch as they created lots of turnovers. I read that Freeman is working through an injury still and feel that if she had played 30 minutes instead of 20 CU would have won. 7 of 10 from the floor. That girl knows how to score.

That was my 1st game in person last night. Very impressed with Freeman on O but her D was a little weak.

I was most looking forward to seeing Leonard and Robinson. Alexis can play some Defense! I love it. And despite her numbers, I didn't feel Kennedy was at her best. She missed a lot of layups and just seemed a little off. And still put up some numbers!!

This teams is still very young and will be very good in time.

Fun game despite the loss. Will definitely go back for more games!

Go Buffs!

Edit: forgot to add...MAN we need some help on the inside in the worst way!

Last edited:
Disappointing loss, but it is only one loss.
Wyoming has proven that they are a better team with better talent than CU.

No sound here either. Open a second tab or window and go to the following link:

http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1050

There should be an audio webcast of the game on the web page. I just pause the video until the audio catches up.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Keep pausing all game, so there is no flow?

Live stream worked fine during volleyball season so it's CU's settings for at least the women's basketball live stream. Seems to be Windows specific as Mac users are able to watch the game with audio.

Poor free throw shooting all season caught up last night. No post player got them. Poor shooting got them. Just a poorly played game. Too many moving screens.

Kennedy definitely pressed to much. She can't carry the team by herself.

Eleanor Jones and Zoe Beard-Fails were in uniform, but neither got in. Injured? If not, why are they not seeing even a minute of action.

JR walking in to this job with no post player and it's going to kill us in the Pac.

What an interesting game. I have a couple of thoughts:

First of all the 1st period through the 3rd period was the worst game I've ever seen young Kennedy Leonard play. At one point I wandered if was rattled on that vicious foul that sent her to the floor early on. I remember reading that her international experience this summer ended with brutal foul. I'd think after experiencing something like that, anyone would be a bit unnerved after being hit like she was in the Wyoming game.

That being said, what Kennedy did in the 4th period was just a thing to behold. Someone posted earlier this season that Leonard might finish as the best player in the history of this program. After watching her defense against Wyoming, I'm not sure that's ever going to be possible. She was getting lost in the zone switches and getting beat terribly on the perimeter on both drives and three-point attempts. However, after watching her offensive clinic in the 4th, I'm not sure if I haven't already seen the best offensive player I've ever seen for CU.

I felt like I was watching a women's game version of Allen Iverson. Unfortunately, with similar results. I think Kennedy Leonard might be the best pure scorer I've seen put on a Buffs uni. However, I'm still not sure that makes the team or the teammates around her better. Guards that dominate the ball and are great scorers, in my mind, have an unintended effect of losing their teammates effort on defense. Players that don't see the ball stop hustling so much as they don't feel as involved. Does it really happen? Who knows.

All I know is that the pass from Leonard to Correal late with the game on the line was one of the best assists I've ever seen in my life, for the CU women's Buffs. Yet it wasn't an assist because Zoe couldn't finish the uncontested layup. I think having one player shoulder the entire scoring load for the team doesn't help make the "team" better, and when it really matters no one else is in rhythm if that makes sense.

Correal should have made that shot, not doubt about it.

I don't care that the Buffs lost. That display by Kennedy Leonard was one of the most amazing efforts I've ever seen. Considering how poorly she was playing early on, it makes it even more amazing. Kennedy Leonard just became worth the price of admission alone. That was one of the greatest offensive outputs I've ever seen in a period, let alone a half.

I'll say it right now. Kennedy Leonard could go off for 80 points if she really wanted to, and the Buffs wanted her to pursue a single game scoring record. Take the 4th period and project that over all four in a game. Just wow.

Buffs aren't as good as we thought they were. Leonard isn't a perfect basketball player, he defense killed the Buffs in the Wyoming game, but oh my goodness I think I saw her play a perfect game against UK and I know I've seen her play darn near a perfect period against Wyoming. Kennedy Leonard is up there with Spears and Chucky, already. JR will coach her up on her defense and getting her teammates more involved. However, you can't teach special and Kennedy Leonard is special. That's something on a team that quite frankly, isn't as good as we thought. 10-1, we'll take it.

Go Buffs.

Absolutely we'll take 10-1. It's just frustrating to me that, with their "normal" level of play in quarters 1 thru 3, the Buffs would have been 11-0 right now, But then maybe it's more helpful for the rest of the season for them to have lost now and had their eyes opened to what they need to do when playing against better teams.

Absolutely we'll take 10-1. It's just frustrating to me that, with their "normal" level of play in quarters 1 thru 3, the Buffs would have been 11-0 right now, But then maybe it's more helpful for the rest of the season for them to have lost now and had their eyes opened to what they need to do when playing against better teams.

That's what the radio personalities were saying court side after the game. That maybe it was better to lose this game in the long run, that you don't learn anything from a win. I wanted the win too, but I think wanting 11-0 instead of 10-1 feels nitpicky, especially with an upset win over 13/15 UK. I think this CU team is going to play some good basketball but I think we've been unfair to expect them to have to play good basketball. Does that make sense?

The good news is that the Buffs have reenergized the fans with the recent play, and that's a great thing. We've got veritable star players on the floor that can do special things even in losses. Almost everything that the Buffs didn't do correctly is coachable to fix.

Anyone have anything on Huggins? Is she out for the season (medical redshirt) or is she coming back soon. She's a shooter and a leader and a veteran presence. Hope she makes it back this season.

I'm lowering my expectations entering the Pac-12 season, and I'm just going to enjoy this team without worrying too much about WNIT bids, NCAAW bids or even wins. I just want to see the team develop and play hard, smart basketball.

Huggins has already had one medical redshirt. This is her 5th season. She could apply for a 6th because of medical I think if she chooses.

All I know is that the pass from Leonard to Correal late with the game on the line was one of the best assists I've ever seen in my life, for the CU women's Buffs. Yet it wasn't an assist because Zoe couldn't finish the uncontested layup. I think having one player shoulder the entire scoring load for the team doesn't help make the "team" better, and when it really matters no one else is in rhythm if that makes sense.

Correal should have made that shot, not doubt about it.

Game should never have come down to the bunny that Correal missed, but it did.

Kennedy was something to see in the 4th period. Over the years, I've seen some other Buffs have these lights out scoring games.

I also know that the Buffs won't win much in the Pac if CU is a one woman offense. They need more than Kennedy, with the help she got from Robinson and Freeman.

Still wanting answers on why no Jones or Beard-Fails. CU is hurting so badly when it comes to the post. They are so slow. Every Pac team will outplay them in the post (maybe not Arizona), so the guards better be ready to hit buckets consistently.

Back