What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We are better than many ABers think

Gawdbless Boydbuff for his stubborn insistence that we are better than a horrible #120 ranking and may actually be a more respectable but still awesomely mediocre #70.

Gawdbless Boydbuff for his stubborn insistence that we are better than a horrible #120 ranking and may actually be a more respectable but still awesomely mediocre #70.
Thanks I think. I am tired of arguing the point, mostly with Duff, that better coaches would have gotten much more out of our team last year, and if HCMM and his crew are significantly better than Embree & Co (not sure how that is even in question) that we should get much more out of this year too.

Not to say we are bowl-bound in 2013 but if we play just to the potential of our team, the data supports finishing around 60-80th instead of 124th. Anyway, I quit on this argument.

Let's play some f**ng ball and prove it on the field.

Thanks I think. I am tired of arguing the point, mostly with Duff, that better coaches would have gotten much more out of our team last year, and if HCMM and his crew are significantly better than Embree & Co (not sure how that is even in question) that we should get much more out of this year too.

Not to say we are bowl-bound in 2013 but if we play just to the potential of our team, the data supports finishing around 60-80th instead of 124th. Anyway, I quit on this argument.

Duff is a big time Embree fan. There's no point in trying to reason with him.

Eggs-zactly.
All this offseason speculative banter will be made null and void by the product on the field.

The real question is "what quarter will buff fans be holding their collective noses?"

Maybe we'll get lucky and be surprised and make it past Labor Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping boyd or tini step up to the plate so I don't have to.
I see it differently. Tini and I are glass half-full, Kool-Aid drinking Buff fans and our sacrifice is taking on all of you pessimistic manic-depressives on a nearly daily basis.

Therefore, I think someone else needs to step up with a testical offering to the football gods, as their form of sacrifice. Seems only fair to me.

There are optimists and then there are the delusional. I'm afraid that this quote is going to quickly show us all which one is accurate.

This is a wierd year in that I can be happy even when we are losing games if I see us making advances towards looking like a real college football team, not the clown circus we were last year.

I do expect us to win 3, maybe 4 games this year. Coming from 1-11 and an average margin of when other teams stopped abusing us of -28.5 that will be a major improvement.

Sad when we can be a much better team than last year and still be terrible but that's where we are right now.

This is a wierd year in that I can be happy even when we are losing games if I see us making advances towards looking like a real college football team, not the clown circus we were last year.

I do expect us to win 3, maybe 4 games this year. Coming from 1-11 and an average margin of when other teams stopped abusing us of -28.5 that will be a major improvement.

Sad when we can be a much better team than last year and still be terrible but that's where we are right now.

This is an example of an allbuffs "optimist" this year. It's sad but true. 3-4 games is an optimistic assessment

This is an example of an allbuffs "optimist" this year. It's sad but true. 3-4 games is an optimistic assessment

I think 3-4 is very realistic.

We are a better team than CSU, should have beaten them last year but had a complete lack of leadership from the coaching staff. Central Arkansas is an FCS school. Again we lost to one last year but that falls directly at the feet of JE, sounding familiar.

Fresno played with us like we were toys last year and they are one of the better non-BCS schools but they aren't a juggernaut. They should be favored coming into Boulder but it is in Boulder and our players should actually show up this year. I'm not counting it as a win but I am also not counting it as a loss just yet.

After that we should win at least one in the PAC. As bad as we have been we have managed to win at least one each year, even if it did take a team playing terribly at the end for us to pull out a win. There are some other teams in the PAC that are bad teams as well, at least one will have a bad enough day for us to win. Two years ago JE managed to win 3 in conference with a team that wasn't better than this one talentwise.

End result we should end up with 3 and maybe 4 wins. We are still going to get blown out by some teams. Oregon State is well coached and believes in themselves, that's a hard road trip for a fragile team. Oregon the following week is simply to talented. They have kids who will never get more than garbage time (and against us there will be garbage time) who would be among the best athletes on our team.

I could go on but won't, we still aren't approaching competitve in the PAC but as bad as we are the improvement of having a coach who belongs in the job should make us visibly better. Still not good but at least with some hope.

I guess for the history of our program calling 3 wins a reason to be optimistic is pretty sad but that's the now.

3-4 is pure optimism after last year. A decisive win over Central Arkansas is all I ask for. Get our record against FCS teams back to .500.

Just glad Boyd never bothered to look at the Saragrin rankings from 2012. #70 would look like a monumental jump.

While I think that HCMM is a huge improvement and may be the hire of the century, I don't expect us to be better in terms of our W-L record. Perhaps 3-4 wins, but I do expect improvement.

But I hesitate because the Psyche of this team was damaged. If we get down, we are likely to stay down. That may take longer...

While I think that HCMM is a huge improvement and may be the hire of the century, I don't expect us to be better in terms of our W-L record. Perhaps 3-4 wins, but I do expect improvement.

But I hesitate because the Psyche of this team was damaged. If we get down, we are likely to stay down. That may take longer...

Bottom line is win total, but I'm with you. It's hard to stress just how poorly last year's team performed. I didn't think it was possible, but the truth is that the 2012 squad's 1-11 record makes it look like they were more competitive than they actually were. This is why I laugh when people try to defend Embree by asking how many wins the best coaching staff could have gotten with last year's team. Even if that number is only 4 with the injuries they had, the bigger story is having the worst point differential in the nation.

3-4 is pure optimism after last year. A decisive win over Central Arkansas is all I ask for. Get our record against FCS teams back to .500.

This may possibly be the most depressing statement in all of college football, along with truly defining how dire our situation is. :cry:

What I have been saying is better coaching would have gotten much more out of last year's team and will get much more out of this year's team. I think it is pretty hard to argue that point although some are trying.

What defines better than last year includes: a few more wins, more competitive in most games, a much better margin of "victory"/defeat, a team that fights until the last whistle, a team that is more unified and not divided, basically a team that looks like it deserves to be in a BCS conference even though for now-towards the bottom of one.

A good coach in a BCS conference should always get that out of their team at a minimum.

Thank God for that interception against Eastern Washington, I guess.

Bottom line is win total, but I'm with you. It's hard to stress just how poorly last year's team performed. I didn't think it was possible, but the truth is that the 2012 squad's 1-11 record makes it look like they were more competitive than they actually were. This is why I laugh when people try to defend Embree by asking how many wins the best coaching staff could have gotten with last year's team. Even if that number is only 4 with the injuries they had, the bigger story is having the worst organized football team in the nation; so bad that opponents laughed at the Buffs' warm-ups!

fify......

For all you WB defenders, that! WB couldn't organize a Girl Scout troop to sell cookies to their own families!

What I have been saying is better coaching would have gotten much more out of last year's team and will get much more out of this year's team. I think it is pretty hard to argue that point although some are trying.

What defines better than last year includes: a few more wins, more competitive in most games, a much better margin of "victory"/defeat, a team that fights until the last whistle, a team that is more unified and not divided, basically a team that looks like it deserves to be in a BCS conference even though for now-towards the bottom of one.

A good coach in a BCS conference should always get that out of their team at a minimum.

Actually having a team that fights through the first quarter would be a major improvement. Fresno looked like they were running a scrimmage against air playing us. Not even talking about wins, how many games last year was the outcome decided by the end of the first half? First Quarter?

Actually having a team that fights through the first quarter would be a major improvement. Fresno looked like they were running a scrimmage against air playing us. Not even talking about wins, how many games last year was the outcome decided by the end of the first half? First Quarter?
It was fugly last year. No way of sugar-coating it. It was an embarrassment not only to CU but to the Pac 12 and to football fans everywhere. We were disorganized, inconsistent, inept and pathetic in basically every aspect of the game except punting. It was like the bad news bears.

HCMM better put a way improved product on the field and I believe he will.

I just looked through last year's Sagarin's. I'm glad my high-rise office windows don't open.
Not sure I follow why the Sagarin rankings would freak me out.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc12.htm

I did look at those a month or so ago when I first started saying last year we should have been 40-50 teams better than we were. Take #70 from the 2012 season. Iowa. BCS conference school. Record: 4-8; 2-6 record in conference. Margin of "victory" (-4.9). Lost to Central Michigan and beat Northern Illinois by 1 point.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/big-ten/2012-iowa-hawkeyes-football-schedule.php

Why is it so hard to believe that we should have been able to get close to that last year? Or that HCMM can get close to that this year?

Not sure I follow why the Sagarin rankings would freak me out.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc12.htm

I did look at those a month or so ago when I first started saying last year we should have been 40-50 teams better than we were. Take #70 from the 2012 season. Iowa. BCS conference school. Record: 4-8; 2-6 record in conference. Margin of "victory" (-4.9). Lost to Central Michigan and beat Northern Illinois by 1 point.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/big-ten/2012-iowa-hawkeyes-football-schedule.php

Why is it so hard to believe that we should have been able to get close to that last year? Or that HCMM can get close to that this year?

do you understand the talent gap between us an Iowa?

do you understand the talent gap between us an Iowa?
Duff is that you?

Here we go again with this same run around. Our talent level is not THAT much worse than other teams in that range (60-80th best teams in the nation). For example, in half of the last 4 years, we had higher ranked recruiting classes than Iowa (2009 and 2011).

Iowa is not a world-beater on the recruiting trail normally. Between 2009 and 2012 we had a ranking for recruiting classes ranging from 36 to 74. Iowa during that same period had a range of 30 to 63. Iowa's average recruiting ranking between 2009 and 2012 was 44.5 and ours was 56.

Even if we had more attrition than Iowa-no idea if that is true-but let's assume so, there is no explanation for them ending up 70th in the nation last year and us 124th.

EXCEPT FOR PATHETIC COACHING-we had a staff of coaches that had basically a combined 0 YEARS of experience as HC or Coordinators (unless you count a few of them who at one time or another for 1 season or part of a season were co-coordinators).

Sadly, I could even take the 28.5 beatings....if it takes the starters to the end of the game to score that. Easy to forget that horrible margin happened while teams were pulling starters in the second quarter. It easily could have been 50 to 60+ point losses without the pity from those teams.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Back