What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We are going to pass the ball a LOT next season

I think we will try to establish that we can and will throw the ball. I still think Hawkins wants a balanced attack. But I don't think teams respected our passing game and, late in the season, were able to really shut down our running game as a result.

"late in the season"? Was Sept 6 considered "late in the season"?

For all his good qualities, he does not block well. Also pretty limited as a receiver from what I saw this year. Small hands + short = tipped balls up for grabs. Another back should get an opportunity to be a factor in the passing game. One of the younger guys, or DS if he comes back.

Yeah Speedy doesn't seem to have the best hands, but it's not because he's short with small hands or Sproles is up to something. He just needs to work on catching some passes. Either way I envision a lot of shotgun next year, zone reads, quick screens etc. Now for all I know Hawk will randomly install the triple option and give that a go, who knows anymore. One thing to be noted, really short and quick passes are pretty much runs these days, so even though it might look like we pass far more than we run next year, we really would be somewhat balanced.

I expect we will see more of the spread option, mixed in with passing. I think the straight ahead running attack this year was a complete flop. Sticking your QB behind center frankly isn't that exciting anymore and isn't as effective in the college game imo. Just watched the Pac-10 get hammered doing it and I think there's a reason Oregon is better than USC, Cal, etc this year.

Hansen in shotgun, a pass first offense with a healthy dose read/zone/options with Hansen and Speedy running the ball.

This will be the first time we can line up in a 4-WR set and have 4 threats on the field as well (Simas, Scotty, Celestine, Clemons, Simmons and we will see about Darden, Ussery, Jefferson, and maybe even Babb).

The offensive line has to be better with another year. They should be a lot better, but I won't go there.

This team has potentially the most exciting offense in a very long time here. But I'll take a believe-it-when-I-see-it approach for now. But there is reason for optimism.
um... oregon is better than usc this year because usc lost their entire defense and their first round qb to the draft last year. and had to start a true freshman at qb... not because usc runs a pro offense

another issue to consider is our lack of Tight Ends. Both guys returning are reasonably athletic but not big-time run blockers from what I've seen. I suspect you can throw Darden in the same group. They look like good blocking WR/TE hybrids, but not big run blocking TE's. I still expect a lot more zone/read spread running plays combined with a lot of the passing offense we saw. The dream of lining it up in the Power-I we discussed last summer flat out didn't work and with DS leaving, makes absolutely no sense.

Kiesau has a lot more options now than he started the season with, for sure.

Here's what I'd like to see us get back to most of all - no huddle HURRY-UP offense. This didn't work in 2008 under Helfrich and a bunch of confused WR's. But I think we are now very experienced if nothing else. This will work at elevation imo AND makes it difficult to sub in replacements.

I know these teams "adapt" by coming to Boulder a day before, but I still think it could be a solid advantage.

The lack of tight ends is definitely something that enters the equation. We seem to have an athletic group of TEs that are receivers first.

If CH "wins" that competion you can say goodbye to TH. Can't see him putting up with this for another year.

Really? Because programs will be beating down his door to get to him? It's not like he's doing a Peyton Manning impression out there...

I think we will try to establish that we can and will throw the ball. I still think Hawkins wants a balanced attack. But I don't think teams respected our passing game and, late in the season, were able to really shut down our running game as a result.

This is the problem - he does what he wants instead of what will work with the personnel he's got. I don't care how we get first downs, use the players wisely, dammit!

Back